Thread: Need help / advice on my boat trailer!! Stuck in my driveway!!

Default Need help / advice on my boat trailer!! Stuck in my driveway!!

Got home and noticed something smelling like smoke and saw that the bearings were all burned up and spindle was riding on the inside nut. Jacked the boat up and the tire was able to rock a lot back and forth without even unscrewing the tire... I'm lucky I didn't lose the tire on the road.

Anyway, I can't get the nut off the spindle/bearing because it's melted. Then, I figured that I'm going to likely need a new spindle anyway, so I might as well take off the Torsion Axle Suspension. Took the screw and nut off of that, and now I can't get it off. I'm not getting anywhere!!

I'm really new to all this stuff and just the fact I have the boat up like I do and got this far is new to me. SO, I need to get this thing fixed but I can't drive it anywhere!! Any advice on this Axle. It looks like some sort of C-clamp. Should the thing just slide off. Do I need to hit it off? Is it because of all the rust? Trailer is a King Saltwater, but I'll tell you those axles sure don't look like the handle the salt!! I plan on taking the axle to trailer shop and getting some help, repairing it in my driveway and then take it back to them to make sure it's done right (for my safety and others on the road). Then get the whole trailer looked over.

Here are the pics:
    photo 2.JPGphoto 4.JPG

so you're after the portion that's splined? ok, soak the crap out of it with liquid wrench or pb blaster, something of that sort. torch it until you think its red, then drive a chisel into the crack on the side, should pop the rust loose in the splines and then you can slide it off. or, if you've got access to a good air hammer with chisel fitting, use it and drive it into that seam. anyway you choose, get something and drive it into the seam to break the splines loose. that'll get the spindle section off..... just make sure to engrave a groove onto the main axle center section in line with the seam so you can get the new spindle lined up. good luck!

ok, scratch the heat, best choice to start is drive a chisel or large stout screwdriver into the seam, once that seam splits open farther it'll relieve the clamping force on the axle. then you should be able to pop it off the axle shaft with a hammer, lemme know what works

Or, you could go to O'riley auto parts and borrow a Pitman Arm puller and use that to pull it off the easy way. But I'd still soak it in PB Blaster for a couple hours.

If you are near Eagle River, you can borrow mine.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Use can also use a hand grinder with a cutoff blade, or if you have no power tools a hacksaw will also work.

thanks for your help, after hours of work this morning I got it off!! Man that thing was a pain!! Didn't come off easy at all. Have a new one ordered. Now, I plan to check the other three bearings to see if they are ok. Other thing that sucks is the boat will not start (happened the same day). Man, she wants to retire early this winter. Not if I can help it.