Thread: 9.3x62 on a WBY Mark V action?

Default 9.3x62 on a WBY Mark V action?

So the last couple of monthes I have been in search of a decent Mauser donor action to build a 9.3x62 without much luck. Then yesterday I came across a beater Mark V 9-lug in 30-06 that could fit the bill, but realized I havent seen or even heard of anyone with a 9.3x62 on a Weatherby action? Anyone have any constructive input on the combination? Thinking I would like to use a 22" stainless barrel and stock it with a Kevlar mannlicher.

sounds mighty cool! Constructive input: You will not notice any difference in killing power between a 9.3x62 mauser, a .375 Ruger, or a 375 h n h. What you will notice, is a major difference in weight between rifles. In most cases, the 9.3 weighs less than even an identical 30-06 because of less metal in the barrel of equal barrel contour. You will also greatly appreciate the extra two rounds in the magazine. I've only shot three animals with a 9.3 though, so I'm a bit green to the caliber, only owned one since 2007.

I honestly feel with all that increased case capacity, a 9.3x62 mauser is much closer in power to a .375 h n h than it is to a whelen.

My friend Ted in whitehorse though, has more experience killing grizzly, moose, and caribou with the ole 9.3 than anyone I know. In May, I handled a 275 grainer recovered from what I recall.....a 200 yd shot from his rifle. Devastating what that bullet did to that massive grizzly.

Thanks Mariner. Yes I think it will be a sweet gun. Does anyone know if a 9.3x62 barrel would be reasonably available for a mark V action or would I need to have one reamed?

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    So the last couple of monthes I have been in search of a decent Mauser donor action to build a 9.3x62 without much luck. Then yesterday I came across a beater Mark V 9-lug in 30-06 that could fit the bill, but realized I havent seen or even heard of anyone with a 9.3x62 on a Weatherby action? Anyone have any constructive input on the combination? Thinking I would like to use a 22" stainless barrel and stock it with a Kevlar mannlicher.
    I'm not a 9.3 guy, but I've nothing against them. It can do most of what can reasonably be asked of it and with less recoil than some other cartridges. What you won't get in a 9 lug Mk V is a rifle that is lightweight. The 9 lug Mk V is a big action designed for large cartridges, not the 9.3x62.

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    Thanks Mariner. Yes I think it will be a sweet gun. Does anyone know if a 9.3x62 barrel would be reasonably available for a mark V action or would I need to have one reamed?
    I think you're firmly in custom territory when you look to rebarrel to 9.3x62. It's possible that an existing barrel can be rebored, otherwise you're looking at a new barrel, install, etc.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

A 9 lug MkV in '06? All of the Weatherby standard actions I've come across are 6 lug and considerably lighter than the magnum action.

A trim rifle is the main advantage in my mind to the 9.3...and can be built on any standard action. There are millions of them out there- I'd not likely use the oversized 9 lug MkV for such a rifle.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    A 9 lug MkV in '06? All of the Weatherby standard actions I've come across are 6 lug and considerably lighter than the magnum action.

A trim rifle is the main advantage in my mind to the 9.3...and can be built on any standard action. There are millions of them out there- I'd not likely use the oversized 9 lug MkV for such a rifle.
    Yes it's defiantly a nine lug. Owner says he purchased in the mid 80's in CA. I think it maybe came out of the custom shop. He also says its not been fired much but it's been carried and beat sure. Lotsa barrel rust and the stock is cracked in the butt and a chunk off the fore end. I am not so much looking to save weight, gonna put a full length stock on it anyway, so if it end up being a 10lb gun that's ok. I think I will call Weatherby tomarrow and see what they have to say. It may not be worth the headache and better to just keep looking for a Mauser but what the heck it's always fun to plan a new project.

honestly, you may save your head-ache by going after what's currently available. CZ has about three or four bolt actions chambered for this round. Likewise, any bolt action 30-06 or 270 rifle you find used of your choice.....can be sent to this guy:
    http://www.35caliber.com/

It can be turned into a 9.3x62 for next to nothing (rebore).

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    honestly, you may save your head-ache by going after what's currently available. CZ has about three or four bolt actions chambered for this round. Likewise, any bolt action 30-06 or 270 rifle you find used of your choice.....can be sent to this guy:
    http://www.35caliber.com/

It can be turned into a 9.3x62 for next to nothing (rebore).
    Thats an interesting option I hadn't seriously considered until now. I was thinking about just using a donor action and have it rebarreled to 9.3. But this is defiantly another option. Probebly not for the MarkV that I was talking about because of the barrel rust. But defiantly an option while I am in search of a good donor. Or... I could just go buy CZ and be shooting it next week. Options options options....

Measure the barrel diameter at the 22" point from the bolt face. If it is over .615", then you could just have the existing barrel cropped to 22", and rebored and rechambered to the 9.3x62. Jesse O. can do the work, here: http://www.35caliber.com/3.html

P.S.
    Sorry mainer, I failed to see your reference to the same thing until too late.
    Barrel rust shouldn't matter if they rebore it.
    Last edited by drow; 08-12-2013 at 17:27. Reason: Failure to read!

If you have a 9 Lug 30.06 Weatherby Mark V then hang on to that action as they are quite rare.
    It is a very simple conversion that needs nothing but a new barrel chambered for the brilliant 9.3x62.
    The advantage here is that you simply remove the magazine spacer & load your 9.3x62 cartridges with the ptojectiles seated no deeper than the length of the neck. That is what I do. With RL17 you can safely exceed 2500 fps with the 286gr Partition & drive the 250gr at 2700fps.
    I would use a 24" barrel. An added bonus with the Mark V is immense strength & very smooth feeding. This is an action that is foolproof & unbreakable unless you do something incredibly stupid with it. My advise is do it. The 9.3x62 is a very powerful cartridge & is all you will need in Alaska. I use mine down here in Australia much more than my 300 Weatherby for big Sambar Deer that weigh 600 lbs.. You will be very happy...

I can do this in my CZ.....load a 300 grainer flush with the inside dimensions of the neck. The internal magazine dimensions are that forgiving. 2,460 fps from a 20" barrel. Over 4000 lbs of energy.....groovy stuff!

Because of the forgiving magazine demensions, I'm going to have my throat moved forward 1/8" next season, and make the switch to 320 grain woodleighs. the base of those, will sit flush with the internal dimension of the 9.3x62 neck. I'm hoping to see 2,400 fps from 320 grainers next season. Until then.....moose hunting with the 300 grainers it is.