Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Garmin Advice

Default Need Garmin Advice

I just ordered a Kingfisher 2725 and need to decide on a GPS/Fishfinder electronics package in the next couple of weeks. I'll be going with Garmin for no reason other than I'm familiar with their products and they've served me well in the past. I'm trying to keep the costs under the "break out in a cold sweat" threshold so I'm leaning toward the GPSMAP 741xs paired to the GMR 18HD radar. Any thoughts on this system as compared to going all in with a 7000/8000 series chartplotter?

Also, I want a second fishfinder for the aft helm (won't necessarily need radar or GPS). Any thoughts on an affordable way to do this?

Thanks guys!

I guess it depends on where your cold sweat threshhold is :-). You can get a 7212 for 3.5k on Amazon and put anything down to a 4210 at the aft helm. But you can't pair the 741 and a 4-8000 series in the same network sharing the same transducers. You say you don't need GPS in the rear but I wouldn't be so sure, you will find it helpful when drifting to not have to keep looking forward through the cabin. Depending on your budget... you could do two 4210's for nearly the cost of a 7212.... or a 4210 in the rear and some other combination up front. You'll be glad you did. It would be a pretty awesome setup. On the 18HD, great unit, but be careful of water intrusion. The gasket is prone to leak, I know of several folks getting terminal error codes only to find water inside, and I was one of them unfortunately, mine was at least partly due to storing and trailering with it upside down though. Cost me $500 to send my unit back to Garmin and have them send me a new one.

I know money is always tight...but it's hard to put a price on Safety....Especially if you have a second steering station....get a chartplotter for that....cause if your trolling or drifting, thats proably when your gonna hit a rock! Plus I know you just spent a big chunk of cash for a kingfisher, but spend a little more and get what you want....you won't regret it.
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Buy Furuno

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I just got a Kingfisher in June and put the 7212 in mine and love it. It is a little big but you can stand at the rear helm and see everything.

Don't know much about Furuno's UI. Quality products I'm sure based on their popularity with the commercial fleet. But as a recreational guy, I use my ipad and even my iphone with my garmin setup. $40 invested in garmin bluecharts for your phone or tablet and you have another device with the same information as the chartplotter to use as either backup or to share / edit waypoints, routes, tracks, etc from. You can plan, add and edit way points on your ipad for example and easily transfer that information to your garmin chartplotter, and vice versa. Might be able to do that with Furuno too, but I know Garmin makes it easy on us techie recreational guys.

Wow, thanks everyone. You've given me a couple of angles I hadn't thought of. I have another couple of weeks to figure it out, but now I'm leaning back toward the 7212. If I can see it well enough from the aft station I'll probably forego the aft GPS/Sounder until the piggy bank is a bit more flush. Will definitely try the iPhone/iPad angle.

As long as you do the Garmin network thing you can pickup a second network capable unit on ebay and mount it out back.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    Wow, thanks everyone. You've given me a couple of angles I hadn't thought of. I have another couple of weeks to figure it out, but now I'm leaning back toward the 7212. If I can see it well enough from the aft station I'll probably forego the aft GPS/Sounder until the piggy bank is a bit more flush. Will definitely try the iPhone/iPad angle.
    Just found an incredible deal online. Wild Blue Sports... New 7212 for $3135.... also enter coupon code 10PERCENT and see what happens. Might surprise you. Oh and free shipping, even to AK. :-) Happy shopping.

I'm with you, in that I'm familiar with Garmin so that's what I stuck with. My boat is still being built, but I went with a 6212. I like buttons as opposed to touch screen, so it was a logical choice. I'm not going with a second unit at the aft helm because I've looked at 12" screens from the back of my model boat and I could see enough to feel safe steering from back there and looking at the main GPS unit.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Gil has some specials going on right now,

GARMIN 740S.. SPECIAL..$845. total shipped..FCV585 $975. shipped.

NEW IN BOX FULL 1 YEAR WARRANTY.

$845. SHIPPED to your door....Lower 48....2 or more $829. ea shipped.

Add a transducer:
    Garmin 740s with a Airmar P66-DT ........$955. shipped.
    Garmin 740s with a Airmar P79............ ...$935. shipped
    Garmin 740s with a Airmar B60 is .......$1035. shipped.
    Garmin 740s and a Airmar TM258...........$1420 shipped.
    Garmin 740s with a Airmar B164..............$1550. shipped.

Other THT SPECIALS:

SS264 Pairs:
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...64n-pairs.html

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ml#post5162566

THT memeber feedback from those who have purchased from me:
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-e...erfishing.html

ALSO******Furuno FCV585 $975. shipped..new in box 2 year warranty.******

Simrad NSS7...$879. shipped.
    Simrad NSS7 & B60....$1090.

Sitex SVS 650..new in the box..$525.shipped.

I have the full line of Airmar transducer also available for the 740s or any other sonar unit.

Also..CHECK OUT THESE GARMIN REMANS SPECIALS:

Garmin remans..THT member Specials.
    1 year warranty.

All Reman pricing shipped lower 48 only

GPSMAP 4208..............$1265. Shipped
    GPSMAP 5008..............$1585. Shipped
    GPSMAP 4010..............$1485. Shipped
    GPSMAP 5212............ .$2250.. Shipped.
    GPSMAP 620 NOH.......$395. Shipped
    GPSMAP 431 NOH.......$335. Shipped.
    GPSMAP 526S..............$555. shipped.
    Garmin 300C.....$149. shipped.
    ECHO 200 Fishfinder.....$155. Shipped

GSD22..........$350 Shipped
    GPS17X........$165. Shipped
    400C..............$215 Shipped

Marine Electronics & Airmar Transducers
    Garmin-Furuno-Simrad ...Traditional and CHIRP
    Sales & Information.
    Gil @ 1(800) 925-0341
    email: semperfifishing@ymail.com
    Or PM me here on THT

Garmin 740s ..$845..THT SPECIAL SALE:
    Link:http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...d-new-box.html

THT SPECIALS:
    http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-fo...ns.html#post51

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I put the Garmin 740s in my Kingfisher four years ago. It has never lost track of the GPS satellite. It has amazing built in maps. It doesn't lose bottom unless I am on full plane and I am in over 600' of water. And it is easy to use. The price on these units have really gone down since I bought mine. You do get a lot with the 740s.

Hey Kay9Cop, thanks for the info. Congrat's on buying a new boat. What did you order?

potpuller - GREAT info. Thanks so much!

idakfisher - the more I look at the 740s, the more I like it. I'm trying to wring out a few more pennies from my bank account to see if I can maybe do a 7212 up from and a 740s in the stern. Hoo boy, would that be a nice set up!

potpuller - GREAT info. Thanks so much!
    thats builder not puller !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

idakfisher - the more I look at the 740s, the more I like it. I'm trying to wring out a few more pennies from my bank account to see if I can maybe do a 7212 up from and a 740s in the stern. Hoo boy, would that be a nice set up!
    My understanding is that will not work. They would need their own separate transducers, etc. In order to be networked together the front and aft units must be in the same family. So anything 4000+ can be networked together and share all of the networked devices. But I was told that I could not network in a 740 without duplicating transducers.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    My understanding is that will not work. They would need their own separate transducers, etc. In order to be networked together the front and aft units must be in the same family. So anything 4000+ can be networked together and share all of the networked devices. But I was told that I could not network in a 740 without duplicating transducers.
    You can network in the 3xxx family as well. I have a 3206 with a network port. Look on ebay for an old used plotter for the rear station.

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

While I love my 740s it's a great unit. But it does not have video in/out. And I don't think you can network it with other units.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

OK, I'm a beginner there with the boat GPS. Friend who is a lodge owner in PWS swears by the Garmin 740, so what is a Garmin GPSMAP 740s GPS/Sounder Bluechart G2 Vision Bundle? I'm assuming it means I don't have to order maps for the Juneau area, but I don't know. Also is the Airmar P66 Transducer a good transduce for the Raider 2284 Cuddy? Boat arrive sometime is November or December so I'll be out in the yard installing the transducer, radio, antennas, anchor line, chain, anchor, bumpers, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast