Thread: King of the Weekend Warriors

Default King of the Weekend Warriors

I never thought I could ever have a hunt go the way it just did. I hadn't planned on hunting the opener, but with the EO on unit 13 caribou, I figured I should at least give it a half hearted shot. I asked a friend of mine who hasn't hunted or even drove a four wheeler in years. I figure we'll just have fun and maybe get one or something. Long story short, we left Friday night 6:30 pm, set up camp up in the hills around midnight, slept in, saw somebody with one already down, went 300 yards off the trail to get away from the traffic and saw the biggest bull caribou I have ever seen in person. I wouldn't have seen him, but he had a stupid younger bull buddy who was standing right next to him so we could see him. These caribou then held still and let us pull up to 170 yards on a little knoll, take enough tie to setup my rifle on a bipod and everything and I ended up having to whistle to get the big guy to stand up. I've never had a caribou act that way towards me. Anyways, updating from home again, 29 hours after leaving home with my quota completely filled for the season. It's kind of a weird, empty feeling, like it wasn't supposed to go that fast, because it NEVER goes that fast or easy for me. Any suggestions on what to do for the rest of fall? I'll update with pics, when the other guy emails them to me.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Not to mention dry trails, accurate directions from people weeks prior, amazing rifle performance and no more than 5 minutes of rain in the total trip. Yee-haw! Hope everyone else at least has an easy, enjoyable time out there.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

WOW!! Sounds like lady luck was with you on that trip can't wait to see the pics. Congrats on a successful hunt!!

I was up there and it rained all day Saturday which puts this story in grave question.

Share the lick Highest..................where is this magical spot?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    I was up there and it rained all day Saturday which puts this story in grave question.
    "Up there"? Where? I did see a lot of rain clouds and crappy weather from our spot. It just kind of all went around us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    It didn't rain all day, maybe where YOU were at but it certainly didn't rain much while we were there from noon to about 5 pm. Questioning the validity of the OP's hunt be side it didn't rain on him is silly. Ymmv.

I think instead of having a kerfuffle over whether it did or didn't rain....I'd just like to congratulate you on your good fortune and filled freezer. Success like that is often elusive, and it's to be savored when you find it. Definitely looking forward to those pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Any suggestions on what to do for the rest of fall? I'll update with pics, when the other guy emails them to me.
    Congrats my friend,

Got catch a moose! A single caribou will barely last through the winter! Now that your meat is put up, time to go scout ehh?

Congrats! Look forward to the pics!

AZinAK