Thread: Champ performance on floats?

Default Champ performance on floats?

I'm looking at buying a Champ for my first plane. I am more familiar with Cessnas but seems like I can get into a Champ with skis or floats for a pretty good price.

My question is how well does a 7ECA with a 90hp perform on floats? Will I be able to land on rivers (if I fly in light) or will I be stuck flying into long lakes? What about ski and bushwheel performance? I'm not expecting a Super Cub but going places off airport would be nice.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by akbou View Post
    I'm looking at buying a Champ for my first plane. I am more familiar with Cessnas but seems like I can get into a Champ with skis or floats for a pretty good price.

My question is how well does a 7ECA with a 90hp perform on floats? Will I be able to land on rivers (if I fly in light) or will I be stuck flying into long lakes? What about ski and bushwheel performance? I'm not expecting a Super Cub but going places off airport would be nice.

Thanks for the help.
    I found no problems with a 65-hp Aeronca Champ on floats, though they climb like they don't want to do it. They will perform with a passenger in the back, too. A 90-horse is a reasonably good airplane, safe and honest. You're right in that neither is a Super Cub, but I don't think you'll be very disappointed in the 90-horse Champ. River operations are all right, and I knew one guide that conducted his business using oversize gear on relatively short strips. RELATIVELY short strips, not Super Cub strips. The Champ is roomier and a bit more comfortable than Super Cubs, too.