Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Goat hunt Nightmare

Default My Goat hunt Nightmare

Make this short. Partner and I got drawn for DG352. So 3/4 months ago booked with an air service. Left from here this past Thursday to Homer. 6pm was our schedule departure. we got there and we got weathered in. No biggie stuff happens. weighed in 688 pounds(that includes our weight). While talking to the pilot my friend and him went over the map. We choose two lakes. we made 3/4 phones calls to them until the time we drove there. They told us and even heard the pilot over the phone telling his desk person lake one is 50/50 on landing, but lake #2 is no problem.. So with that in mind we planned out a different couple routes from the lake to the top. Along with that we spoke to the area Bio couple times. And we would use the lake as base camp. Partner and I decided why go light if we are landing on the lake. So we packed bigger tent, heavier sleeping bag, ETC.... DAY #2 Wake up and waited for our departure time . We get to the place and pilot returns and comes to use and says it's a no go again due to weather. OK no biggie again. an hour later we get a call from his desk saying that the pilot can't fly us into the lake and how do we feel about landing in the ocean.. We were shock and taken back.. We asked what happen? You told us lake #2 was no problem and we packed our gear to that statement. Well they wouldn't give us answer. They told us to come back in 30 min to talk to the pilot. 30 min past pilot is in his shack with his people talking. We give space. Pilot comes out and looks at us and put his phone to his ear and takes off to his car and leaves without saying a word to us. We go in the shack furious and ask what's the deal with the poor service? She says it was her fault that she misunderstood the map. asked her how you misunderstood a map and she couldn't reply back to the question. (note they also told us months before hand that we would have another hunting group on same lake). Ended they had a different permit 20 miles away... GOOD GRIEF... NOTE on day one they told us they won't bumped schedule people to get us out if our flight is canceled. So partner and I asked what time on Day #3 they had open. 8am she said. pencil us in. However we need to go back to the hotel and repack and she if landing on the ocean is do able with what gear we will have left in our packs. After several hours( around midnight) we decided it's not worth the risk to go up and chase goats without the proper gear. DAY 4 comes and we get a call 8am asking why we missed out flight. We explained that we can not risk going there with out the proper gear. Lady said well some goat hunters showed up at the dock and we took them out. And since you missed you flight time we have to charge you portion of the drop off. Partner blows a lid. And explains reason we are in the mess in the first place is cause you all gave us bad information. End of story we had to pay money and they never said sorry for the huge error... We are planning on going mid Sept with a different air service and planning to hike from the ocean, We will be light and have all the gear!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I would be willing to bet I know which air service gave you the run around.....

We were treated rude by the pilot from day one. We got that feeling right away he wanted no part of taking us out. Granted Day one and two did have bad weather. Is this how an Alaska business treats there own residents??? I'm beyond lost for words and angered on the poor treat we got.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

haha wow, what a pilot,.. bum deal

I for one would appreciate a PM with the name of the air service. I have future trips (there) in planning stage, and so do other men I hunt with. We would like to avoid this air service. Thanks.

There is only one pilot I'd trust a hunt to in Homer and its Northwind Aviation. He has been flying down there for probably 40 years. Safest pilot and most knowledgeable of the area. His Dad owned Kachemak Air until he retired several years ago.

Did anyone recommend this air service to you or did you guys just pick him out of the phone book?

HomerAdam, we are flying with them in Sept.
    moneypit, we called around and for the price and at the time they sounded good.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Good goat hunting from Iceberg Lake just west of the Skilak Ice Fields. If it's still open to hunting, of course. Even an inexperienced pilot should be able to handle Iceberg.

Im moving forward and planning a trip with Northwest services in sept!!!!!
    we all make mistakes, but not to own up to a huge one like this where it cost me and my partner $$$$
    in time and hotel fees.
    If they told us this first night we would of been pissed but would of driven back to anchorage and made the changes to our gear.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Gary,

Sorry to hear about your "hunt". I've been in the same place and am flashing back to a similar experience.

My advice to everyone is to get the best pilot that you can, and also be certain that they are good at their business as well. I still get angina over an incident in Galena a few years back with an idiot who happened to have a reputation as a good pilot. Unfortunately we did not know he also sold snake-oil at the carnival and talked a great story about what he would do. There in lies the problem. Communicating with someone who is a pro at spreading fertilizer as the backbone of their business plan makes for unhappy hunters.

Hope your September hunt goes much better.

Grey- You won't go wrong with Jose at Northwind. He is as safe and professional as they come. He does all the contract work for the ADFG so he probably knows every nook and cranny that a goat could live in. He's a wealth of knowledge on where the goats are living at. I've used him for 7 successful goat hunts on the Kenai.

pm me who let you down, if you would.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Had a very similar situation on a fly out moose hunt years ago. The plan (proposed by the air service) was to fly into a particular location where a freighter canoe was available. We drove 5 hours from Fbks to to get to the air service. We waited two days to get out due to weather, then the pilot tells us he can't take us to the pre-selected area. Had we known we were getting dropped in the swamps, we would have brought a raft or other form of getting around. We tried to make the best of the situation, but no animals were harmed in the process.

The business should treat ALL of it's clients with respect, not just AK residents.

Sorry that happened Grey. Unfortunately this type of service has been going on in Alaska since planes started being used to make money off of hunters. Good competition and word of mouth will some times make them go away, or attorneys.

I know this thread is a year old, but can you pm me which air taxi this was. I drew DG362 and I'm trying to get a air taxi set up to drop me off at Upper hazel lake at the end of September. I spoke with Northwind aviation this morning but it sounds like he might be busy working with ADFG. He said he would do his best and let me know in a couple of days. I have read good things about Jose with Northwind and would like to use him but if he is unable to take us does anyone have any other good recommendations? Thanks

Call me 351-3642

Living the Alaska Dream
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Jose is the best
    Just ask around and everyone will say it

Living the Alaska Dream
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Beluga air