Thread: Soy free chicken feed

Default Soy free chicken feed

New to raising hens (for eggs). Looking for soy free organic chicken feed in the Anchorage area. Any guidance appreciated! Thanks.

Someone on Craigslist Anchorage has a tortoise with an aquarium self-replicating meal worms. They want money for the tortoise. It might make a good friend for the chickens, or not.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    New to raising hens (for eggs). Looking for soy free organic chicken feed in the Anchorage area. Any guidance appreciated! Thanks.
    We make our own. We purchase Delta barley from a person in Big Lake, mix in black oil sunflower seed and fish meal (available from Animal Food warehouse,) and free range our chix when possible. If not possible, then throw fireweed, lawn clippings, and other greens over the fence to them. They need the greens! Table scraps also go to them. The most critical component of doing your own feed is getting the proper protein mix; roughly 25% is good.

there is also commercially available feed in Palmer that is soy free- Budget Feed. Good luck!

What seems to be the problem with Soy in chicken feed (unless you're allergic) it's a product from beans that provides both protein and roughage for both people and animals. Soy's cheaper than corn and easier to digest and chickens eat nearly anything.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I know nothing about chickens or chicken feed. However, I am a home-brewer (in Vancouver, WA) and I give my spent barley grains to a neighbor who feeds it to her chickens and ducks. They love it. They can't get enough. As I recall, there are several commercial brewers in the Anchorage area (e.g., Midnight Sun Brewing). They might be willing to provide you with their spent grains, which are considered a by-product of brewing beer. It should be soy-free and possibly organic, and it might contain rye, wheat, or corn depending on what they're making (but it will not have any hops in it).