Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening day BOOYAH!

Default Opening day BOOYAH!

Just got a hit from Hoytguy. He's mountainside and brown n down.

In case any cowboys wanna ask or offer opinion, its a fork on the left.

BOOYAH!

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Congrats to Hoytguy. Nice meat bull. I got out a little bit this morning. Not much moving where I was at. The rain kept the woods pretty quiet.

That is so good to see. I love this time of year. Big congrats!! I've been working in the field and counting down to the opener. I was just wondering how many animals died today, so I figured I would check the forums. Good to see people are out there getting some!!

Looks delish! Congrats

Nice!! Freezer will be full at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Thats funny. Do you read what other people type?
    I believe its 50" or 4. Looks to be about 51 1/4" & something about eating it with a "fork" & being left handed.

Congrats to Hoytguy, nothing like some fresh tender venison this early in the year.

Awesome. Is that grass still in his mouth? Cleanest looking kill I've seen posted in a long time.

Congrats on the moose!!! Good shot and I hope it was a fun stalk!!

Nice... I be a happy guy to have found that bull. Thanks for sharing.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I shot the bull sat evening at 841 pm. Spotted him and a 55" bull bedded together at 6 pm on a steep hillside, took a hour to get across a gulch and with in say 300 yards, both bulls were still bedded Looking down hill, I flanked left and went into sneakie mode..,climbed about 400 yards straight up getting just above them, caught my breath. Took my bow sling off and started creeping over towards em., they were just below a line spruce tree do I had that as ref..soon I was 50 yards and sat n waited a bit.. Then creeped to 40, 30, 20 yards of the big bull..I peaked around the tree and he was looking down hill but his antlers were in the way and was a bad angle shot..I decided to go further left to get right above and nail him while bedded..he saw something, maybe movement and stood up, again his head was down and rack was in the way.. As he raised his head I drew and he literally bolted straight down the hill and stopped around 80-90 yards out., the other bull (one I shot) was another 10-15 yards over parallel to where he was bedded.. Little guy looked down at the other bull and decided to get up. He slowly stood and I drew..35 yard quartering too shot I had a small window for error.. Soon as he stood I squeezed the release and my Arrow buried all the way through.. Perfect shot at the angle given.. He trotted 10-15 yards down hill and took a header and did 3-4 cartwheels down the hill. Once stopped he put his head up, struggled to stand and took maybe 1 step., back feet have out and over backwards he went.. That was it. I didn't have my pack, it's now 845, I called the wife and then TWD and said I just smoked one. Went down and used my iPhone and took a few pics as it layed. I'm on my iPhone now but tomorrow on a computer I'll clear up the fork issue.

Now it's 9 pm, getting dark and I have a brutal hike to get to my quad. Then 4 miles down a difficult trail to the truck.. I make it back at 10 to the quad. Get safely down the hill and headed home to grab my son to help pack. TWD met me at the house at 11, we left at midnight to retrieve my bull..

we found it in the dark at 230 am and then the rain started again.. He took some pics with his camera of me and the bull.. Around 415 we had it broke down and the brutal shuttle begins.. At 8 am this morning we reached the truck.. I had been up since 0400 sat morning, got home, unloaded the quads, gear, meat, put fans on it and took a nap..

can't thank Dan enough for the help he lensed. Not many guys would lend a hand knowing what was lies ahead..it was dark, wet, wet, steep and wet..

Thanks guy,

hoytguy
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Nice work!! I'm stoked that you pulled it off. The work makes it taste that much better. Big congrats to you and your willing and able helper. I know how nice it is to have friends that will drop everything to endure the suffer fest. I can't believe people don't read the regs. 50" OR 4 brow tines OR 3 points on one side. DUH!

Quote Originally Posted by injun joe View Post
    I can't believe people don't read the regs. 50" OR 4 brow tines OR 3 points on one side. DUH!
    You forgot the one variable feature that applied here.

Spike/Fork.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Awesome Job!!! Congrats on the nice bull great story. Thanks for sharing.

Congrats Jesse...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Love those little guys! Congrats on the bull and kudos to TWB for steppin up.

Thanks for the play by play hoytguy, and what a blessing to have friend's and family to help out with such a task.

Kinda makes you glad the big guy bolted, eh?

Try as I might, I just couldn't file down that little bump in the middle of this guy's right side with my magical powers on Saturday night. **** he is a lot closer to fork than I first thought though, and I'm pretty sure I could have petted him and then strangled him with the string of my bow he was that curious. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376330452.127837.jpg

Yeah my back is glad it wasn't the big one, the little guy was a chore all by itself. The big one had a body twice the size.. Id guess it to be 52-55". I had a shot for a split second after he stood, raised his head then he realized I wasn't a bush and trotted down the hill. Guess thats why they get that big.. Gun season would have been easy one, but im sure come gun seaosn he will be hiding..

The one you pictured is already kinda palmated between the points.. my guess is a 2.5 year old bull in his second year of growing antlers..(tweener).. lots of them around this year.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I'm pretty confident that he's just 1.5 years old, but surely a 3x3 if you look long enough. Hopefully others do the same.

If not 4x3, ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376332245.563017.jpg

I still can't decide if the upper paddle on his R counts as two or one, I kinda think just one but you almost need to get the caliper out, which sorta brings into question the dimension of the velvet versus the bone. If bone, they are probably separate points, just barely.

Nope. He's past spike/fork and developing paddles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast