Thread: Swift A-frame or Nosler Partiton for Bear Defense

Default Swift A-frame or Nosler Partiton for Bear Defense

Assuming the same rifle & bullet weight which one would you choose for bear defense and why? What experience have you had with these two?

Have you used other alternative premium bullets & can report on their terminal performance? Just trying to hedge my odds, as I've been charged twice & want to be optimally prepared. I will most likely also be carrying bear spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    Assuming the same rifle & bullet weight which one would you choose for bear defense and why? What experience have you had with these two?

Have you used other alternative premium bullets & can report on their terminal performance? Just trying to hedge my odds, as I've been charged twice & want to be optimally prepared. I will most likely also be carrying bear spray.
    In my opinion there is no significant difference between those two and I wouldn't have an issue carrying either one. I happen to be carrying Barnes TSX but will be moving to Nosler partitions shortly, I got a great deal on some projectiles and once I settle on a load that will be what I carry. This is in a .375h&h.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry either of those in any caliber however in some of the fast magnums I mean lean more toward a solid or TSX.

nosler partitions are great bullets, so are the swifts. Nosler partitions in certain calibers will shed their entire front core when the going gets tough. In this case, a charging bear is a lot of animal to travel through, not a broadside hunting scenario we're talking about here. As much respect as I have for the partition, I'd so with the swift. It'll control the expansion more, and the front core is bonded to the copper jacket, losing less weight. I'm unsure which would penetrate deeper in identical calibers and identical bullet weights. The big partitions like the .338, .358, 9.3, and .375 have very tough jackets, so wouldn't be an issue. 30 caliber and below....I'd go swift.

I'll be using 300 grain swift a-frames out of a 9.3x62 mauser this moose/bear hunting season. 2,460 fps from a 20" barrel, I always aim square on the shoulder if possible, I'm hoping they will exit whatever I should catch this season.

The first bear that charged me I believe was hit with a .30 caliber core-lokt (guess the weight), the bullet expanded very rapidly & turned that bear, when hit, but did not put it down. A second shot to the head put it out of its misery. I was young back then & knew nothing about terminal ballistics. I wish I knew then what I do now, I would have given a thorough autopsy. I was lucky that I hit center mass. I'm thinking the Nosler will break up more which might not be a bad thing, but the swift will penetrate deeper. I almost feel it is a "flip a coin" proposition.

k,

it is a flip o coin proposition. In the past three hunting seasons, barnes o's woodleighs, and nosler partitions have exceeded every expectation of how a bullet should perform. I've no qualms the swift will fit up their nicely with my favorites.

One thing's for sure, the nosler paritions will expand no matter what, even on cow caribou with no contact with bones. The velocity at the extended range was probably all of 2000 fps at 170 yds away.

I have a bit of a different opinion. I love Nosler partition bullets. They are very accurate in my rifle and have killed a lot of game for me over the years. However, because of how they are designed to function they are not a dangerous game bullet. The swift a frame will perform much much much better for bear defense than a Nosler partition. If you don't like the a frames another great option is the trophy bonded bear claw bullet. I have shot Cape buffalo, bear, bison and other big critters with these bullets and had absolutely no problems and no bullet fragmentation or failure to fully expand.