Thread: PWS trip out of either whittier vs Seward for slivers/halibut 8/18-8/23

Default PWS trip out of either whittier vs Seward for slivers/halibut 8/18-8/23

I'm planning a 3 day 2 night fishing trip in my 23 foot aluminum either out of Seward or Whittier. I've considered trying to make it from Whittier to Seward and having our trailer ferried over for us. We are looking for good scenery, silver fishing, and halibut fishing, and adventure. It sounds like there is no fuel between Seward and Whittier so we would have to pack it all. But likely we will just go out of and return to the same port, either Whittier or Seward. My question is if we only do Whittier or Seward, which would be better? Are there any rivers mouths where the salmon will pool up before running between Seward and Whittier? Any good tips for halibut around Knight island if we don't want to run out to Montegue? Thanks a lot! Jon

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

If I wanted to fish PWS for a couple days, then I would launch and recover in PWS. Going out of Seward would require a substantial run across big open water just to get to the sound...I would suggest launching out of Whittier or Valdez. That being said, if its silvers you want, forgo PWS and spend a few days in and around Resurrection bay (Seward). There are plenty of anchorages and coves to camp in.

With boats in the 20-30 foot range, you really have to pick your days to make the run from Cape Resurrection to Port Bainbridge as it is 40 miles across open water with nowhere to hide once you commit. If I remember right, it was 65 miles or so to Fox Farm, the first really protected anchorage and a very fine one, from the dock at Seward. I don't think you can just pick days on a calandar in that area and just go as the North Gulf Coast can be something else. I don't think you can do that in the Sound either, but the odds are far better......

The advice to hit the Bay in Seward is a good. There is decent halibut fishing near the mouth of the bay, the salmon fishing is good in August, and it is far more protected than the open gulf. If you can get around the Capes to the East or West, there is fine fishing in both adjacent bays too. In fact, Day Harbor (east), Aialik Bay (west), and Resurrection Bay, all have fine anchorages to goof around in. If you go to Day Harbor, I like Bowen Anchorage. If you go to Aialik, Three Hole Bay is a good choice as you can quickly hit the Chiswells for some Butt fishing at slack. As usual, gas always turns into an issue if you have small tanks and stay away from the fuel dock very long.

In PWS, going to Knight Island is fun and there are tons of nooks to go check out. I have never found consistent halibut fishing anywhere in the Northern parts of the sound, but if you can get down to any of the passages (Bainbridge, Latouche, and others) it is shallow and there are halibut to be consistently found.

I hope you guys have a great trip and the weather is great. The last couple of weeks it has been pretty crummy so it should be changing for the better, right? I hope so as the weekend small craft advisories are getting old.

Thanks a lot for all the info. New to fishing PWS and trying to learn as much as possible. We will avoid the long haul from Seward to PWS. Maybe we will do two separate overnights. one out of seward and one out of whittier, weather permitting. We will cross our fingers for good weather. I just posted a separate post just about salmon fishing our of whittier. Any help on that subject specifically would be much appreciated. thanks --Jon

My experience has always been that the fishing out of Seward is better, but the water is bigger and less protected. If you're more interested in exploring and spending a couple nights on the boat with plenty of protected anchorages, Whittier is a better choice.

If you haven't boated from either port, then consider the trip a learning experience and adjust your fishing expectations accordingly.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.