Thread: Stranded in Seward

Default Stranded in Seward

Hey guys, I need some quick advice.

Wife and I were booked on a Celebrity cruise scheduled to depart Friday evening but the ship has developed mechanical problems and won't leave until Tuesday. We had brought our fishing tackle and had planned to shore fish all of the ports. I had done lots of research on all of our ports except for Seward. If anyone could offer some suggestions on places I could shore fish in Seward it would be greatly appreciated. Can't fit a charter into our budget but we can do a taxi to somewhere close to the ship docks.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Charlie

I would just go up to the sporting goods store or the fish house and ask them where to go. They are both real close to the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by akdd View Post
    I would just go up to the sporting goods store or the fish house and ask them where to go. They are both real close to the dock.
    Where is the sporting good store?
    Thanks for the quick reply

Charlie

I would expect bank fishing all along where you see the motor homes parked. Especially around the culvert below the boat harbor.

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieM View Post
    Where is the sporting good store?
    Thanks for the quick reply

Charlie
    On 4th street across from the Harbor Master. Name is "The Fish House". Here's a link: http://www.thefishhouse.net/getting-...the-fish-house

I have never fished them before, but know that the silvers come in pretty thick right there on the dock and people hammer them real good. Don't know if the timing is right though but I would think so...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Go down and fish from shore on Lowell Point on the flood tide. Should be able to catch Pinks and Silvers. Have fun
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Not a bad place to be stranded. I wish I was stranded in Seward this weekend :-). Have fun.

The culvert, as mentioned in a previous post, isn't a culvert anymore. Instead, there is a nice bridge that crosses the creek that flows from the lake/lagoon in town. Anyway, there is a good chance of catching something there and you will have company at that spot. Most folks will be using snag hooks which is legal below mean tide. I don't see that casting in the water where the RVs are parked as productive use of time until the silvers start milling around the beach area in September.

If you have access to a car or $ for taxi, Spring Creek might still have some fish (chums and silvers) milling around in the tiny lagoon - check with the Fish House as they might know. Otherwise, I can't imagine it costs much in the Taxi to get there and back. Lowell point was mentioned already and that might be a decent spot too. As usual, it depends on if there are any fish there as they do move around a lot.

While these area all options, I would not expect good fishing from shore and would describe the action at any of the places above as slow at best. If you can and you really enjoy catching something, not just fishing for something, dig a little deeper and fork out the bucks for a charter as it would probably be money well spent as there is a strong chance you will get into some very, very good fishing. The money spent on the charter pales in comparison to how much you spent on the cruise.......

I've trolled for silvers many times via kayak. You can rent them. It's not for hysterical wimp types after all after you catch it you have to efficiently dispatch it and either tie it on your deck like a deer on the hood, my method, or toss them on your lap. Either way it's lots of fun. Troll out to Caines Head,( 2 hr paddle depending on wind, tide and paddling power). Camp and fish on Caines head then troll back. If a 2 hr paddle is out gradient for you just paddle around Lowell pt.