Thread: Camp cooking gas canister

Default Camp cooking gas canister

We are three Norwegians arriving at Anchorage next week for further transport to Koktuli River via Iliamna. We seem to have got a problem. There seem to be very heavy restrictions about what to bring on the flights. We're not allowed to take even empty fuel cans on public flights. What can we do to get liquid fuel or gas canisters to bring to our camp? Is it possible to buy something in Iliamna? By the way, we have searched for the standard 230 grams gas canisters at Anchorage Sportsmanswarehouse without finding any. Are they not available i Alaska?
    Can anyone please help us with some information?

Teddybear

Liquid fuel gasoline or compressed fuel canisters?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

REI (also in Anchorage) may be another source for fuel cannisters.
    I'd check with your air taxi (or other contact) in Ilimana for a source for local fuel. Most "stores" in remote villages carry (at the least) Coleman fuel.

The problem is with the regular carrier and fuel not the charter. When I set up hunts for my groups out of Kotz they can take propane on the "Bush" flight but not on the regular scheduled passenger flights. I use to supply fuel with my camps via 3 and 5 pound propane tanks, very cheep to fill but NAC charged me Haz-Mat fees each way and it became to costly. See if you can buy the fuel when they reach Iliamna thus bypassing the passenger flights. Expect to pay a bunch but it may solve the issue. My guys pay about $15 for a 1 pound propane tank in Kotz vs $3 in Anchorage.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Drop Camps & Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotz
    www.mprthwestalaska.net

He should also be able to carry a few gallons of white gas (if that's his preference) on the bush flight out to the Koktuli. Shouldn't be a problem as it never was for us. Do they prohibit you from bringing BRAND NEW, EMPTY, NEVER USED, PLASTIC heavy duty containers on board as well? If not buy some of them and fill them with unleaded in Illiamna to then head out in the bush plane....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

A very big problem up here. Fuel on commercial flight for camping.

Some ways around it:

Use an alcohol stove and find isopropyl someplace, or bring a few bottles with you.

Use a stove that does not require compressed gas, like a whisperlight or dragonfly by MSR. They are multi fuel stoves, but you have to clean them a bunch if you use anything but coleman type camp fuel/white gas. You bring a new bottle and fill the fuel when you arrive in Illiamna.

Use a wood burning stove like the Kelly Kettle, Biolite, Solo stove, Rocket stoves, etc... They use sticks.

The Biolite is sold at REI.

Good luck.

You will not have any problems all of the services up here never ask or care....
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    You will not have any problems all of the services up here never ask or care....
    Not quite true. 40 Mile Air nixed Jet Boils last year. No Go.

When you arrive in Anchorage take a taxi (or the hotel shuttle if staying the night) to either Sportsman's Warehouse, REI, or Mountainview Sports and you will be able to buy new, clean MSR bottles. I'm pretty sure you will be able to fill your bottles with white gas or whatever is your fuel of choice in Illiamna for the bush flight to the river. Leave the bottles with the air taxi when you return or clean them thoroughly and try to check them in your luggage for the return flight home.

Good luck on your hunt!

We took used oil lanterns as carryon on an Alaska Airlines flight with no trouble, they just can't smell like fuel. It seems Alaska Air is one of the most reasonable to deal with though.