Thread: Gettin'r Unstuck how toos

Default Gettin'r Unstuck how toos

Courious to know what folks use to get their rigs off the river beds when they get grounded? I heard theres some sort of wheel setup that can be attached to the rear of the boat? If anybody has info on that and would like to share it, please do. I also heard some folks use a High-Lift jack. Not sure how that works but info on that would be good to know too. I heard winches and come-alongs are used also. Yes I know, I know, the best way to get unstuck is to never get stuck but it's gonna happen and I really don't want to re-invent the wheel on this one. My boat's 815lbs and my motor is 415lbs, that's a lot of weight to move if you're all by yourself!

I've got the wheel kit for my SportJon. Ain't had to use it yet. What it is is basically a trailer hitch receiver welded to each sid of the transom that you slide a wheel attached to another square piece into. you lift the back with a trailer jack on the swimdeck. Check it out in the SportJon section of www.compeaus.com. That'll explain it better than I can. I'll be carrying a come-along too...just in case. Another thing that helps is tying twine to the grommets of a tarp and hooking it to the back of your boat like a parachute. Fling it into the current and let it pull you downstream.

A wheel kit on any sandbar I've parked on would be nothing more than ballast weight to toss overboard. Think leverage. A 2x6 about 10' long will be your best friend. Two is even better. Two guys with a couple of 2x6's can get a heavy inboard back to water pretty effectively. A gas-powered water pump to wash the gravel out from under the boat would be pretty handy, too.

With the current water levels in the south central rivers you'll see lots of stuck boats this weekend. Lots.

Another way is to go to an army surplus store and get a cargo parachute. They come in a small package so they can be easily stored out of the way. If you get bungholed on a gravel or sand bar attach the lines to the boat and throw the parachute into the current and wait for the chute to open once it does it will drag the boat over anything in its way. Once you are free cut all the lines except one and pull the parachute back and either burn it in the campfire or throw it away.

If you can get a parrecute I know I spelled it wrong but anyway they work realy well when it come to getting a boat back into the water

In all the times I've been stuck in a jet boat, and there have been quite a few, I can't think of one instance where a parachute would have been helpful. The typical scenario has you running a backwater shortcut with 10-12" of water right until you find a shallow spot with about 3" of water. I don't think tossing a parachute into 10" of slow backwater will do much of anything.

Another hint if you're running an outboard. Before you get unstuck you may as well deal with your jet in shallow water. You've probably run gravel through the impellor at 5000 rpm and spit chunks of impellor and sleeve out the back right before you came to a grinding halt. What usually happens is you bust your hump getting the boat to float only to find that you have almost zero propulsion with that snaggle-toothed impellor you've got on. Now you get to flounder to the bank with very little control. Do yourself a favor. At the very least, check your impellor, sleeve, and foot before you get back to deeper water.

Carry 3-5 4 foot sections of small diameter thick walled PVC pipe to use as rollers under the boat. As the boat moves pick up a roller and put it under the boat and roll and continue.
    A couple of times I have watched guys toss the parachute out the boat and it worked. I plan on buying one myself.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    In all the times I've been stuck in a jet boat, and there have been quite a few, I can't think of one instance where a parachute would have been helpful. The typical scenario has you running a backwater shortcut with 10-12" of water right until you find a shallow spot with about 3" of water. I don't think tossing a parachute into 10" of slow backwater will do much of anything.
    Actually, I found it quite helpful (my homemade tarp parachute) in a lot less than 10" of water. Granted it ain't gonna open into a circle, but the current flowing into that much area of tarp will definitely give you some pull...I did it on the Ivishak in about 5" of water (at best)...It didn't pull the boat on its own, but durn sure made the pushing a lot easier.

A shovel. If all else fails dig. I carry a folding GI entrenching tool.

My first time on the Tanana (my boat was still new to me) I ran up to Clear Creek scouting for a moose spot (didn't know there was a subdivision up there). I decided to continue upriver. Coming out of the Clear Creek slough I noticed a side channel leading off the upstream side at the entrance to the main river. I decided not to swing all the way down into the main channel before turning and cut back into said side channel a bit too late.

The flat-bottom boat skidded sideways, plowing a pressure wave as it went. I rode that wave waaay out onto the gravel. When the water washed away, the boat was 8 feet from the river...but hey at least I was by myself without any tools.

I had some camp gear to cache in case I found a spot. The only thing I had to dig myself out with was my MSR 1 qt cookpot which I destroyed in the process...6 hours and several bleeding fingers later I was out of dry dock.

Lesson? Be prepared--getting stuck on the river is a matter of when and how bad.

Mr Pid's advice about lower unit inspection BEFORE refloating--spot on

Well my experience is similar to Mr. Pid's. I always beach my boat in about 2-3" of water or less and then try to muscle it back into deeper water that may be some distance away. Sometimes I just drift down the river and get grounded in the shallows. Often the current isn't too swift. I too have Sportjon with the wheel kit. I have found the wheels to be just so-so (yes, they only work on gravel-not mud or sand - and may not be aligned in the direction that you want to move the boat). However the jack on the swimdeck is worth its weight in gold. I carry PCV pipe like Snowwolfe. By jacking the stern up off the bottom (carry a small piece of plywood to place under the foot of the jack) and shoving the pipe under the boat, a single guy can then lower it onto several sections of pipe and push the boat forward, backward or sideways until off of the pipe. Keep repeating until the rig is refloated. If I were to get any other jet boat, I would have someone weld on a bracket to attach the jack like my Sportjon. That device saved my bacon more than once last year in places that sees no other boat traffic for weeks or at all. I am a believer. And the jack or pipe is not heavy, expensive, or current dependent. I also don't have to worry about anything to tie off to on the bank, which can be scarce.

We are in the little jet stuck good, an old man drives his big jet in beside us and says you boy are stuck good.
    Here is how he got us out then we did it to his boat . He had semi tubes cut and sealed with ropes on both ends stick one under, inflate and stick another under, you can push the boat back deflate one and do it again worked like a charm even adds flotation .

alaskamokaiman,

That sure sounds like a good idea! Nice, light weight and compact. Can you describe the set up in more detail and how much of a beating did the rubber take from the river bottom when you rolled the boats off?

Semi tube cut and vulcanized closed folded over and vulcanized again with a grommet for ropes. Air stem close to one side.

They took a beating worked on dry land and in the water. Helped to lift the motor out to work on it.

Get yourself backed in to the water a little fire up the pump and it will pull itself back and off the tubes.

When I have been grounded, I have all the people put on waders and walk it out. Only once have we had to use my come-a-long and that was because we only had 3 people. If you get it shut down fast enough, you should not be too far from floating water. We have had to scoot it 4 inches at a time for a bit once. Can you say duck butter? Slick too.

With this rain maybe the rivers will rise a bit.

What rain is everyone talking about I live a mile 7 Wasilla Fishhook and its hasnt rain at all cloudy but no rain where is it raining?

Cool Stuck

The weight savings from eliminating all the non-sense some of these guys carry with them would prevent you from ever getting stuck!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDick View Post
    The weight savings from eliminating all the non-sense some of these guys carry with them would prevent you from ever getting stuck!
    I agree. The problem is that he has been a good friend for many years......

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    What rain is everyone talking about I live a mile 7 Wasilla Fishhook and its hasnt rain at all cloudy but no rain where is it raining?
    You should have gotten your rain this weekend! I spent the Friday and Saturday camping at Hatchers Pass (Wasilla side) and it did nothing but rain! Go figure..first outting of the year too!

Wasnt at home Fri- Monday on the Deska fishing it rained once Sat night but other than that was nice. Didnt catch anything but the family and I had fun

The best way to keep from getting stuck is to learn to read the rivers. Most jet boats now a days will get you into lots of trouble, when they run out of water they really are almost out of the water. They way I got to learn to read rivers is by running an old 16' Applebee flatbottom with with one of those crappy black 500 (50Hp) Merc outboards and all it had was a prop lower unit. I used to run the Chatanika and the Chena up here in Fairbanks with that thing. Eventually I got a 20' fisher flatbottom with a 140 johnson and a jet, that boat taught me how to turn, then when I finally got a Hewes craft inboard there wasnt to many places I couldnt go.