Thread: No water

Default No water

Early season scouting is turning out lots of dry holes and low water. Here's to hoping the rainfall catches up before Sept 1

Plenty of water everywhere I've been

Quote Originally Posted by bakerra2 View Post
    Early season scouting is turning out lots of dry holes and low water. Here's to hoping the rainfall catches up before Sept 1
    It seems that way from the little I've seen. Dry ground where it should be holding water.

We have some smaller salmon streams dry here and lakes getting smaller.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Getting more specific, I know the Knik is still running very high, and so Jim Creek lakes area is still high, I was there the other day and lots and lots of water. Problem was that when running around the lakes i flushed up a few small groups of ducks, while in years past this time of summer i often would flush up fights of over 100 ducks in several areas of the lakes. Does not seem like many ducks there to me.

You guys saying the water is low, I really am not concerned about you local duck honey hole, but would like to know what geographic area you are refering too. I can imagion the long dry summer may have lowered water levels in some interior areas, but would still think areas fed by major rivers should be ok. Where are you seeing the low water levels. Bud
    Wasilla

Bud, all the chicks i saw were not flying yet. Did you see the same?

I'm thinking most all of SE is dry with low water. Crystal Creek had a thousand dead kings at the mouth,warm water no oxygen low level.No young flying yet on Wrangell either.I'm seeing mountain tops for the first time in six years,snows gone.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I train out in a lot of spring fed or run off wetlands. This is one of the dryer years I can remember. Water levels are certainly low. I can walk to places with just hiking shows. No need for muck boots or waders. These rains will bring a quick replenishing. Hopefully they continue.
    I predict high wind storms and rain showers through out the fall season.

The chicks we saw werent flying yet either. I have just been poking around the flats near Potters. The flats were beautiful and lush with grass and vegetation but water was down.

Quote Originally Posted by bkbaker View Post
    The chicks we saw werent flying yet either. I have just been poking around the flats near Potters. The flats were beautiful and lush with grass and vegetation but water was down.

Chicks? Hmmm.

You are right, the chicks i saw wern't flying either, but still did not see a lot, and very few adults flying. Yes, I know the chicks make up 80-90% of the spring birds, but still seems to be very few to me. Hope I am wrong. Did see some young birds really struggle to make it into the air. Havn't been out too the flats yet this season, but will soon. I know there does seem to be quite a bit of water at cottonwood creek when I was out there. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    Chicks? Hmmm.
    Don't be a Ugly Duckling

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Did see some young birds really struggle to make it into the air. Bud
    Our dog grabbed a young bird that had flushed out of the pond. Lucy has a soft mouth and the duck seemed a little freaked but unharmed. I wasn't ready to fly, feathers still growing. I chucked it back into the pond and it dove right in and swam strongly. Just got back from Whittier and the water is low and the ponds are weedy all the way into Anchorage. Lots of birds and chicks in sight of the highway this morning.

Drove out to the hay flats today and hiked around the marsh to find very little water as well. I know there are several places to hunt but this is just one of the few that are close and so easily accessible. I walked up on a couple broods of ducklings that were just barely getting off the water themselves. I certainly hope this rain starts to fill things up. May be time to invest in a boat or find a friend with benefits. LOL Best of luck to all this year, only month away.