Thread: Gear for a Multiple month trip

Default Gear for a Multiple month trip

So me and 3 to 4 of my friends are planning on buying a plot of land somewhere in the Kenai peninsula or on Kodiak island. What we are wanting to do is head up there next summer around end May or the beginning of June to build a cabin. Along with the cabin we are planning on building a water ramp for ski training to make some what of our own training facility. We plan also plan on hunting and fishing for our food. We have A LOT more planning to do but, I was thinking this would be the place to start and get an idea of what we are going to need for this endeavor and any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can't help you with the gear, but as far as hunting and fishing for your food, be sure to read the regulations closely. Most hunting is closed in the summer, and even during open hunting seasons you'll find that game densities in Alaska (and harvest limits) do not generally allow for such an endeavor. Feeding oneself with fish is potentially more doable, but runs can be short, so having a way to preserve your catch needs to be factored in. Basically, very few people up here can truly subsist off a wild diet, so you need to factor in bringing in food supplies that can perhaps be supplemented with wild fish/game. For what it's worth, hunting opportunities on the Kenai Peninsula are pretty limited other than small game (in the fall) and black bear. Kodiak provides access to deer, but only after August 1st and along the road system the limit is one.

Thank you for such a quick response. We have put thought into a way to preserve our meat wether it be through smoking it our possible building some type of cellar/ freezer. Also we do plan on brining a sack of rice or other type of food which comes in bulk and can provide many meals. On the other hand, what you're saying is that hunting for game will probably very limited? and what would be the maximum amount of game we would be able to hunt?

It totally depends on where you end up at. On portions of Kodiak you'd be allowed 3 deer/person and possibly a goat, but it's not likely that you'd be looking to build a cabin down on that end of the island. On the Kenai Peninsula you could take a couple of black bears each and, technically, you could also take a moose each. That said, the moose opportunities are severely limited on the Kenai Peninsula right now. Even where it is more wide open, you must understand that game densities in Alaska are among the lowest in North America. Shorter growing seasons lead to lower food availability. Couple that with larger animals, and the amount of animal that any given square mile can support is far lower than southern deer country. There is not a moose or bear behind every tree. Being successful hunting up here takes a lot of effort, time, and not a small amount of luck. Doing so in close proximity to a remote cabin in such an amount to support one's food needs is extremely difficult. Even those who have lived remote for 30+ years supplement their diet with food staples that are flown in. My freezers are generally pretty full of fish and game, but I travel far to get those and even so, the majority of my non-meat diet comes from the store. Living off the land up here is mostly an unattainable myth, unfortunately.

NON-Resident Hunting Lic. $85.00 EACH PERSON

NON-Resident Black Bear Tag $225.00 EACH TAG

NON-Resident Moose Tag $400.00 EACH Per Person

This thread and far too many like it recently are the reason that the "reality" TV craze with Alaska needs to go away, and the sooner the better.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    This thread and far too many like it recently are the reason that the "reality" TV craze with Alaska needs to go away, and the sooner the better.
    No, MIKE just need to find a Funeral Home or Casket Co. to sponsor a new sub-forum....Called. "I Want to retreat to the wilderness, and live comfortably off the land".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    NON-Resident Hunting Lic. $85.00 EACH PERSON

NON-Resident Black Bear Tag $225.00 EACH TAG

NON-Resident Moose Tag $400.00 EACH Per Person
    +$145 non resident fishing license

Twenty thousand for the acre of land.Five to ten thousand to get the gear where is going. The main gear needed for your dream is lots of money.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Sorry to be a turd feldmzan, we've just heard this story one to many times...