Thread: How to Preserve Salmon for My Pet Dogs

Default How to Preserve Salmon for My Pet Dogs

So I have a Cocker Spaniel & a Shepherd/Chow Mut that I want to feed salmon throughout the year. These dogs don't have very good digestive systems & right now they get a premium dog food. What is the best way to preserve deboned salmon for them?

I'm thinking smoke the fish until relatively dry & then wrap them in daily size butcher paper & store them in a galvanized trash can. These dogs are not out side during the winter so they would not require the high calorie intake of say a working sled dog. Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post
    So I have a Cocker Spaniel & a Shepherd/Chow Mut that I want to feed salmon throughout the year. These dogs don't have very good digestive systems & right now they get a premium dog food. What is the best way to preserve deboned salmon for them?

I'm thinking smoke the fish until relatively dry & then wrap them in daily size butcher paper & store them in a galvanized trash can. These dogs are not out side during the winter so they would not require the high calorie intake of say a working sled dog. Thanks
    A trash can full of unfrozen smoked fish with soon become a trash can full of rotten smoked fish. It would be best to freeze the packages after smoking, then take a few out of the freezer at a time.

I'm with Frostbitten on this one. If it's not frozen or dried properly, it will go bad and maybe even make your dogs sick. What lucky dogs to have an owner to catch and smoke fish for them.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I would take a strong look at the regulations regarding this also... and make sure the salmon preserved and used for dog food fell under the appropriate harvest permit.. such as personal use, or subsistence.. i dont beleive ( though could be mistaken) sport caught can be used for animal food.

I do know for a FACT that last winter AWT had a field day with the though of mushers using road kill moose for dog food... and the swalvage drivers were all told that even spoild or unsalvageable meat.. that was of the " normally use-able portions" could not be given to mushers for animal food...

with the explanation that the State of AK does NOT want to be in the habit of providing fish and game for dog food.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree with what Vince said above about legality. On the matter of preserving it, I'd pressure cook and can it. Good for years and you can eat it too. I hope your talking chums. Hate to think someone would be using Reds, Cohos or Kings to feed dogs with...ahem.....

I think the best way to preserve your fish for your dogs would be to can it. You would not have to worry about bones and it will keep for years. What you feed your own sport caught fish to is your own business. I would can your salmon in pint jars. Its easy to do. Your dogs will be happy.

Why not just wrap it and freeze it?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Why not just wrap it and freeze it?
    That's the best bet for the dogs - keep it clean. Don't salt any fish you're planning on feeding to dogs.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtekaa View Post

We retort can whole chicken. First we run it through a meat grinder for the bones works great for our dog. He eats it raw but the retort canned stuff is great for traveling. We just open a package like regular dog food. We add dog vitamins and other veggies, rice and so on if we have it around. Don't know about fish for dogs, if they like it pressure canning it would make all the bones soft. You need a retort capable vacuum sealer and a pressure caner.