Thread: Americans approve . . .

Thumbs up Americans approve . . .

Responsive Management was up here some years back to conduct a study for ADF&G. Interesting outfit . . good information. I've remained on their mailing list over the years . .

Characteristics
    Positively Correlated With Approval of Hunting

Knows a hunter

Has a connection to hunting, such as eating game

Lives in a rural area not on a farm or ranch

Is 45 to 64 years old

Is male

Considers self white or Caucasian

Household income is $60,000 to $79,999

Lives in the South Atlantic Region, as defined by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS)

Characteristics
    Negatively Correlated With Approval of Hunting

Is 18 to 44 years old

Is female

Considers self Hispanic or Latino

Is a full-time student

Lives in the New England Region, as defined by the USFWS

Lives in a large city or urban area

Considers self black or African-American

Lives in the Pacific Region, as defined by the USFWS

Approval of Hunting
    Highest Since 1995
    79% of Americans Approve of Hunting

A recently released nationwide scientific survey by Responsive Management shows that 79% of Americans 18 years old and older approve of hunting, up five percentage points from 74% in 2011. This marks the highest level of support for hunting since 1995, according to data compiled by Responsive Management.
    Source: Responsive Management, 2013

Responsive Management has been tracking trends in public approval of hunting since 1995, which has remained generally consistent during this time: 73% in 1995, 75% in 2003, 78% in 2006, 74% in 2011, and now at 79% (see graph below). At 79%, approval is the highest since Responsive Management has tracked it. The reasons for this increase are still unclear, but it may be related to the recent increase in hunting and shooting participation that has occurred.

Source: Responsive Management, 1995, 2003, 2006, 2011, 2013

Since 2006, hunting participation has increased by 9%, according to theNational Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation(U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, 2011). Meanwhile, shooting participation has increased by 18% since 2009 (Responsive Management, 2013). Other studies on public opinion on hunting conducted by Responsive Management show that the strongest correlation with approval of hunting is knowing a hunter--over and above demographic variables or any other factor. With the increased number of hunters in the field and sport shooters at the range, it is possible that this increase is being reflected in support for hunting as well.

Overall, the most recent study found that more than half of Americans (52%) strongly approve of hunting (79% strongly or moderately approve). At the other end of the spectrum, 12% disapprove (strongly or moderately) of hunting. Another 9% gave a neutral answer.

Methodology

Conducted in February 2013, the study surveyed 1,306 Americans 18 years old and older using random digit dialing and supplemental cell phone sampling. The sampling error is +/- 3.00 percentage points. The survey was the fifth in a series of surveys by Responsive Management to track trends in public approval of hunting.

Responsive Management is an internationally recognized public opinion and attitude survey research firm specializing in natural resource and outdoor recreation issues. Our mission is to help natural resource and outdoor recreation agencies and organizations better understand and work with their constituents, customers, and the public. For more information about Responsive Management, visit www.responsivemanagement.com.
    Responsive Management

130 Franklin Street | Harrisonburg, Virginia 22801
    540-432-1888 Email Us | Visit Us Online

Neat data,even Vinny hunts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpSuf4QEFCE
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That's an awfully small sample size to say "Americans" but it is an encouraging trend.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post
    That's an awfully small sample size to say "Americans" but it is an encouraging trend.
    Ya, it'd be nice to know about what 10 million or so think. Kinda like winning the popular vote doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be elected president.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Ya, it'd be nice to know about what 10 million or so think. Kinda like winning the popular vote doesn't necessarily mean you're gonna be elected president.....
    Good call 4mer

Unhappy Raining on the picnic . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Erik in AK View Post

According to Responsive Management:

Methodology

Conducted in February 2013, the study surveyed 1,306 Americans 18 years old and older using random digit dialing and supplemental cell phone sampling. The sampling error is +/- 3.00 percentage points. The survey was the fifth in a series of surveys by Responsive Management to track trends in public approval of hunting.

There's an old saying that it doesn't matter whether you get your message to five people or 5,000 people if you can pick the five. Same thing applies to surveys. It doesn't matter whether RM surveyed 1,306 people or 1,306,000 people if RM knows how to pick the 1,306. Judge for yourself:

Responsive Management is an internationally recognized public opinion and attitude survey research firm specializing in natural resource and outdoor recreation issues. Our mission is to help natural resource and outdoor recreation agencies and organizations better understand and work with their constituents, customers, and the public.
    Utilizing our in-house, full-service, computer-assisted telephone and mail survey center with 50 professional interviewers, we have conducted more than 500 telephone surveys and mail surveys, in addition to numerous personal interviews, and focus groups, as well as marketing and communication plans, needs assessments, and program evaluations.
    Clients include the federal natural resource and land management agencies, most state fish and wildlife agencies, state departments of natural resources, environmental protection agencies, state park agencies, tourism boards, most of the major conservation and sportsmen's organizations, and numerous private businesses.
    Responsive Management also collects attitude and opinion data for many of the nation's top universities, including Auburn University, Colorado State University, Duke University, George Mason University, Penn State University, Michigan State University, North Carolina State University, Rutgers University, the University of California-Davis, the University of Florida, the University of Montana, the University of New Hampshire, the University of Southern California, Texas Tech University, Virginia Tech, West Virginia University, and others.
    Among the wide range of projects we have completed during the past 18 years are studies on how the general population values natural resources and outdoor recreation and their opinions on and attitudes toward an array of natural resource-related issues.
    Responsive Management has conducted dozens of studies of hunters, anglers, wildlife viewers, boaters, landowners, park visitors, historic site visitors, hikers, birdwatchers, campers, and rock climbers. Responsive Management has conducted studies on endangered species, waterfowl and wetlands, and the reintroduction of large predators such as wolves, grizzly bears, and the Florida panther.
    Responsive Management has assisted in numerous natural resource ballot initiatives and referenda and helped agencies and organizations find alternative funding and increase their membership and donations. Responsive Management has conducted major organizational and programmatic needs assessments and helped natural resource agencies and organizations develop more effective programs based upon a solid foundation of fact.
    Responsive Management conducts training workshops on the human dimensions of natural resources and presents numerous studies in presentations, workshops, and as keynote speakers at major natural resource and outdoor recreation conferences and meetings. Over the past year, Mark Damian Duda, Executive Director of Responsive Management, has had the privilege of speaking at numerous conferences and workshops, including at the opening sessions of the following conferences: the Midwest Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Annual Conference, the Southeastern Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies Annual Conference, the International Boating and Water Safety Summit, and the Pennsylvania Governor's Outdoor Conference. He was the featured speaker at the Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation's National Assembly of Sportsmen's Caucuses Annual meeting. Mark also recently presented a paper on the role of the private sector in the human dimensions of wildlife management at the International Union of Game Biologists XXVIII Congress in Upsalla, Sweden, in August 2007.
    Responsive Management has conducted research on public attitudes toward natural resources and outdoor recreation in almost every state in the United States, as well as in Canada; Australia and New Zealand; the United Kingdom; numerous additional European countries, such as Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden; eleven Asian countries, including India and Japan; eight African countries, and six South American countries. Responsive Management routinely conducts surveys in Spanish and has conducted surveys and focus groups in Chinese, Korean, Japanese, and Vietnamese. Responsive Management has also conducted numerous natural resource and outdoor recreation studies with specific target audiences, including Hispanics, African-Americans, Asians, women, children, senior citizens, urban, suburban and rural residents, large landowners, and farmers.
    Responsive Management's research has been featured in most of the nation's major media including CNN, Crossfire, The Washington Times, New York Times,Newsweek, The Wall Street Journal, the front page of USA Today, and the front page of The Washington Post.

For more, check this: http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/fhw11-qkfact.pdf

Here is my saying. Who gives a **** who likes or dislikes what I'm pationate about. O ya and I'm the one with gun anyways

Sorry just a little sore about a MSNBC interview that pretty much said I'm a redneck gun happy nut because I conceal carry and live to hunt.

O and according to MSNBC just because we have a right Doesn't mean we have the right to excercise it. What kind of **** is that

uh.... yeah, they don't have any internal agenda at all about outdoor-activities, they're perfect to conduct an impartial study.....

"Clients include the federal natural resource and land management agencies, most state fish and wildlife agencies, state departments of natural resources, environmental protection agencies, state park agencies, tourism boards, most of the major conservation and sportsmen's organizations, and numerous private businesses."

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    uh.... yeah, they don't have any internal agenda at all about outdoor-activities, they're perfect to conduct an impartial study.....

Thumbs up

Far, far too many to post . . read them all here: http://www.responsivemanagement.com/clientcomments.php

Client Comments

On behalf of the entire staff at The Conservation Fund, I would like to extend my sincerest thanks to you and your wonderful team at Responsive Management for the work on our survey. Your professionalism and diligent work was truly outstanding. Your brilliant team's expertise shined through in every step of the survey process, delighting not only myself, but also our staff and in turn our partners.
    I personally sincerely appreciated working with you and your impressive staff. There were many late nights when I was thankful to be working with such a competent and hard-working team. My expectations were considerably surpassed. The meaningful work that you and your staff put into the survey allowed for our July Real Estate Summit to be a great success. In addition, your presentation at the Summit allowed for all of our staff to properly understand the results and how we need to interpret our partners' needs in order to plan for the future of The Conservation Fund. Your candor, critical thoughts, and vast expertise have allowed for us to move forward on a firm foundation.
    Thank you again and the best wishes to you and your team at Responsive Management for the future.
    -Meg McCants, The Conservation Fund
    Mark Damian Duda is one of the nation's foremost researchers on public attitudes toward the environment.
    -Associated Press

I regard Mark Damian Duda as an exceptional blend of intelligence, resourcefulness, and professional competence. His leadership of the Responsive Management program has been distinguished and innovative . . . . Under his guidance, Responsive Management has been an outstanding source of information, ideas, and techniques helping to foster important and needed change.
    -Dr. Steve Kellert, Professor, Yale University

His firm is recognized as the leading social science research firm in the nation that works in the natural resources arena.
    -Dr. Steve L. McMullin, Associate Professor, Virginia Tech

Responsive Management is one of the most respected research firms in our industry.
    -Gary Bogner, President, Safari Club International

Mark Damian Duda is one of the nation's most respected researchers on natural resource issues.
    -Steve Pennaz, Executive Director, North American Fisherman, North American Outdoor Group, Inc.

Responsive Management provided extraordinary services to my research project, which involved a large-scale telephone survey about cultural diversity and attitudes toward marine animals in Los Angeles. This was a challenging project, involving a lengthy survey that needed to be translated into several languages, and required a complex sampling strategy. Mark provided invaluable guidance in refining my survey instrument, structuring the sampling design, and working out the survey's logistics. And his friendly, knowledgeable and professional staff worked closely with me before, during and after the survey was completed. I would recommend Responsive Management to anyone planning a survey or focus group about wildlife and wildlife management.
    -Dr. Jennifer Wolch, Professor, University of Southern California

Aloha! Two reasons for this letter. First is to say thank you very much for all the great work you did on the freshwater fishing marketing study. We never imagined that the results would be that positive. Your expertise in asking the focus group questions and writing the surveys has given us a wealth of information. The opportunities provided for both the supporters of freshwater fishing and the environmentalists to work together is wonderful.
    -Lynn McCrory, President, Kauai Economic Development Board

It is quite an understatement to say that I couldn't have done it without you all! From our very first conversations about survey design, timeline, budget, and data handling, you were attentive to my concerns as a graduate student and a newly initiated human dimensions researcher. Your professionalism and expertise made me feel quite confident about our partnership and about the quality of data. Furthermore, you included me in every aspect of the process and made me feel that my comments were valued . . . .
    Upon my visit to Responsive Management . . . , it became quite clear to me why your firm is so highly praised throughout the field of human dimensions research. It was an absolute delight to see you guys in action . . . .
    A world of thanks.
    -Salinda Daley, graduate student, North Carolina State University

On behalf of Ducks Unlimited, I wish to thank you and your team at Responsive Management for your outstanding work . . . . You and your staff were pleasant, easy to work with, and very professional . . . . The questions and analysis were right on target to address important issues in habitat conservation.
    -James K. Ringelman, Director of Conservation Programs, Ducks Unlimited Inc.

The admonition to "Know Thyself" was never more true than when it is applied to business. And helping us define our Bowhunting Market and who we are has recently been masterfully done for us by Mark Damian Duda and the folks at Responsive Management. In my 34 years in the Archery Industry, I have never seen such a complete and understandable marketing research exercise than what they have just completed for us. Mark has long been recognized as the leader in definitive research when it comes to our outdoor field, and he is a joy to work with, as is his entire staff. We can recommend Responsive Management in the highest possible terms.
    -Dick Lattimer, President/CEO, The Archery Manufacturers & Merchants Organization

Responsive Management is one of the top research firms in the nation when it comes to our market and the shooting and hunting industry. During the research phase of this project, [Responsive Management] conducted both qualitative and quantitative research . . . . Needless to say, we learned a great deal in this process, and we are now better able to target our efforts and our resources.
    -Peter J. Dart, President and CEO, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

You did an outstanding job putting the assessment together, as well as presenting the results. This information will be invaluable as we proceed with the National Marine Sanctuary (NMS) Revenue Enhancement Initiative.
    Thanks again for a spectacular job.
    -Karen M. Brubeck, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration

The extensive Future of Fishing study conducted by Responsive Management provided the basis for the formation of RBFF and was the impetus for the strategies we employed to increase fishing participation. Sound research provides a firm foundation on which to grow, and RBFF's successful programs and marketing efforts would not have been possible without it.
    -Bruce Matthews, President, Recreational Boating and Fishing Foundation

I would recommend Mark Duda to anyone wishing to assess public views. His style was interactive in the development of the instrument as well as during the assessment of the results. His knowledge and experience nationwide were tremendously helpful in framing the questions on the survey, and provided a basis to further understand not only what our citizens thought about our performance and what our priorities should be, but how it compared on a national level. Mark provided a professional presentation to our Wildlife Commission, and answered their queries from a technical expertise concerning the survey and what it meant that would have been difficult to manage on our own. I have utilized his graphs which he provided in Microsoft Power Point to develop programs for training of employees and presentations to public groups. In the final analysis of his services I would say that when it becomes time to do another assessment, Mark will be the first one contacted to see if he can do the work. I'd hire him again.
    -John Bredehoft, Chief of Law Enforcement, Colorado Division of Wildlife

I want to thank you for your efforts in assessing public knowledge, attitudes, and opinions regarding grizzly bear reintroduction to the Bitterroot Mountains of central Idaho. The professional rigor in the design, implementation and analysis of the random telephone survey was outstanding. I particularly valued and appreciated the close working relationship we had in developing this project and the prompt completion of the final report. We were quite pleased with every aspect of the job by Responsive Management.
    -John Weaver, Team Leader, Bitterroot Grizzly Bear EIS, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Mark Duda, Executive Director of RM, has worked with the Florida Wildlife Federation on a number of projects and was our Conservation Educator of the Year for his work in applying an understanding of people to wildlife issues. I highly recommend his and Responsive Management's abilities for work you have involving your constituency and wildlife issues, training workshops for your employees, or public opinion/attitude surveys.
    -Manley K. Fuller III, President, Florida Wildlife Federation

I personally, sincerely appreciated working with you and your very professional and talented staff. I thought it was going to be difficult managing a project that was half done, but your assistance and guidance helped me catch up right away. Thank you again for a sensational job. Please relay my personal best to everyone at Responsive Management.
    -Hardy Pearce, U.S. Department of the Interior

The Marketing Workshop led by Mark Damian Duda excelled in all aspects. There was just the right mix of lecture and discussion, written material and graphics, seriousness and humor. Presentation of information, enhanced by the use of multi-media-slides, overheads and videos, all helped get the message across.
    Mark's enthusiasm for the material was captivating. The importance of Responsive Management principles hit you between the eyes, and plans to incorporate Responsive Management into ongoing operations automatically began to form. Discussion among participants was encouraged, and everyone's contribution was explicitly noted as important.
    Humor, scattered throughout the workshop, made for a fun, rewarding two days. Expectations on the value of spending two days away from the "real work" were well exceeded. We'll be back for more.
    -Recreational Fisheries Branch, British Columbia Ministry of Environment

Responsive Management is one of the nation's most respected research firms in the area of public opinion about wildlife.
    -Laury Parramore, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Many thanks go to Mark Damian Duda, Steven J. Bissell and the staff of Responsive Management. Their dedication, creativity and hard work were unfailing throughout the entire research process.
    -Paul W. Hansen, Executive Director, Izaak Walton League of America

Thank you for your capable and professional work in completing the recent survey of Pennsylvania anglers and boaters. There is no doubt that the Commission received the best and most cost-effective survey product available. You and your staff did an outstanding job preparing and conducting the survey and presenting the results . . . . In spite of the frequent requests for modifications during the survey development process, you were still able to complete the survey instrument, compile customer opinion and present results at the July commission meeting. We are extremely impressed with Responsive Management's capacity to meet tight deadlines!
    -Peter A. Colangelo, (retired) Executive Director, Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission

Over the past years, the Potomac Valley Chapter of Ducks Unlimited has honored certain outdoor writers for their contribution to the understanding and appreciation of the sustainable use of renewable resources. The Chapter has made this award only three times in the past . . . .
    It is my pleasure to inform you the Chapter has voted to have you receive this recognition at our 18th Annual Dinner & Reception.
    -Stephen S. Boynton, The Potomac Valley Chapter of Ducks Unlimited Inc.

Thanks for doing a bang-up job at the Conservation Planning Workshop last week. I've had much positive feedback on your presentation from other participants. Personally, I was impressed that you could come in cold, pick up the PowerPoint package and then present such a detailed, data-packed talk an hour or so later.
    Thanks again for sharing your expertise.
    -John Slown, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

We would like to express our gratitude, on behalf of the Colorado Division of Wildlife, for your excellent efforts in collecting the data for our human dimensions study . . . . Your expertise contributed to a thorough and credible study. The results have been very useful and have reinforced our agency's broad-based funding approach to wildlife management.
    -Colorado Division of Wildlife

Mark Duda, the Executive Director of Responsive Management, keynoted the interagency Watchable Wildlife Conference in Missoula, Montana. Mr. Duda is "in touch" with the needs of natural resource field personnel. His presentation reflected a combination of thorough preparation, technical field experience, and effective communication skills. He did an outstanding job of defining the scope and importance of the Watchable Wildlife Program.
    -Dr. Bruce Hronek, Professor, Department of Recreational and Park Administration, Indiana University

If there is anyone who can predict the future of our industry, he's it.
    -Florida Outdoor Writers Association