Thread: Hip Waders for hiking...

Default Hip Waders for hiking...

I'm going to be buying some hip waders this week to use for hiking over a few miles of really wet terrain. Do any of you have any suggestions for one brand that's better than another for walking in? I'm going to look for some that won't tear up my feet and I thought I'd check here first. Thanks.

Default ankle fit

Make sure what ever you buy they are a good fitting ankle fit wader.

I recently bought a pair of Hodgman waders that have a lace-up boot but have not had them in the field yet.

I've had LaCross ankle fits for years and could walk all day in them with no reservations. About walking, that is. You'll swear you'll dislocate your knees trying to get them off. If they fit good for walking, don't expect them to slip off easily.

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking forward to not being soaked in hiking boots or blistered in chest waders.

I've found it's a bit easier to remove the ankle fits if you're wearing long john's underneath them.

If you're ever tempted to put them on w/o socks for short jaunt, don't, you'll swear you'll never get them off!

I'm partial to the Lacrosse ankle fits.

Default 2nd that

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've found it's a bit easier to remove the ankle fits if you're wearing long john's underneath them.

If you're ever tempted to put them on w/o socks for short jaunt, don't, you'll swear you'll never get them off!

I'm partial to the Lacrosse ankle fits.
    I'll second an undergarment for easy on/off! I don't have ankle fits (yet, on my list) but I where Nike "Dri Fit" ( I think that's the name) under my waders and they work great for keeping you warm/cool as well.

Default stocking foots

Maybe consider a pair of stocking foot hips. Cabelas has them for 35 bucks, the breathable kind and then get a pair of wading boots... there are all kinds to choose from ... very cheap to ultra light.
    Bushwaker

Default too late?

If it is not too late, consider the Cabela's Dry Plus boot pants, waist high. I love mine, and walk a lot in them. I have climbed a few thousand feet in them, too, and they are lighter (I feel they are, anyway) than hip boots. Stocking footers, as suggested earlier, would be even lighter with the right boots. Good luck. j