Thread: Sometimes technology IS progress... a BEER APP ...

Default Sometimes technology IS progress... a BEER APP ...

THE BEER UP HERE: an app is gear, right? After our fine October Kodiak hunt, four of us discovered the very excellent Kodiak Island Brewing Company's products at an after-hunt dinner together in town. Unfortunately, KIBC does not export their beers (off island), but here's a way to explore - research - other local brews this winter. My wife, bless her, emailed this to me today about an app called, "The Beer Up Here": https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-...4865?mt=8&ls=1, offering detailed information about every brewery in Alaska and their beer; the scoop on all breweries in Alaska with updated tap lists for local ale houses and growler bars. Cheers!

Is it KIBC that makes the Nut Brown ale? If so, I saw it at Freddys the other day. I tried it last time I was out on Kodiak and it is truly great beer!

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Is it KIBC that makes the Nut Brown ale? If so, I saw it at Freddys the other day. I tried it last time I was out on Kodiak and it is truly great beer!
    You're thinking of Kodiak Nut Brown Ale by Midnight Sun Brewing Company (has a caricature bear on the bottle label / can) which is distributed throughout Alaska (and other states).

Two thumbs up for the app!

Cheers!

Yep, I saw that story by Dr. Fermento in the Anchorage Press yesterday and am currently downloading the app. It's a little steep by app standards at $5, but it is locally developed and has a limited audience, so I'm happy to support the effort. I've yet to make it to Kodiak Island Brewing, but over the past year have discovered a number of the off-the-beaten-path gems our state has to offer. I love 49th State in Healy, Arkose in Palmer, St. Elias in Soldotna, and others. Heck, even Baranof Island Brewing is now distributing up to the road system. Excellent! Looking forward to exploring this...er...gear.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    You're thinking of Kodiak Nut Brown Ale by Midnight Sun Brewing Company (has a caricature bear on the bottle label / can) which is distributed throughout Alaska (and other states).

Two thumbs up for the app!

Cheers!
    Pretty sure I saw that one at the Brown Jug growler bar too.

I bought the app too but have not run it yet. I agree its 5x price point has to be countered by the relatively small audience (compared to downloads of Angry Birds, for instance) coupled with many 5 star reviews and no sub 5 star reviews. I didn't think twice before I clicked buy on that one. Thanks for sharing that link. +1

Default Exploring this "winter gear" app...

Boy, the things you have time for when hunt plans don't work out? Haha - Brian's right, not something we need for being outdoors really, but I did spend some more time with this app. The Beer Up Here (TBUH) is more useful and informative than I'd expected and is indeed as Brian M mentioned, "Made in Eagle River Alaska and includes:

Fermento's Foamy Rant): Brian also mentioned Dr Fermento, new to me, but one serious beer writer. I did not realize that many AK breweries are seasonal operations, closing for winters. The blog includes breweries participating in the Mighty Matanuska Brewfest, October 18-19th, 6-10PM each day. He's quite the Alaska beer enthusiast.

List of Growler Bars: Brown Jug Wasilla, plus six others (Anchorage). I think Moose's Tooth has growler bar too - but not included, yet.

Beer measurements: ABV: estimates percent Alcohol By Volume, IBU: measures degree of bitterness in International Bitterness Units, SRM: a rough, but simple measure of color intensity/light penetration of beer (http://www.twobeerdudes.com/beer/srm)

Example: I'm working in Soldotna lately, where I had lunch (at Buckets) with a glass of local brew, described in TBUH like this:
    ABV: 5.3%
    IBU's: 36
    Color: 22 SRM
    Malts: 2-Row, Crystal, Roasted Barley, Peat smoked
    Hops: EKG, Willamette

Useful? Yes. I appreciate beer, but never took it this seriously. But with so many excellent beers in Alaska and for those interested, or with opportunities to sample beers from other parts of the state, this app is entertaining and useful. Not only are some brewhouses not open during winter months, many do not export (Kodiak Island Brewing). I rated the beer I had with lunch (Skilak Scottish). If I could add one thing to the app, it would be a small comment section ("Perfect beer with ..... ", or "Do not order if driving!"). They have been updating the app, (incld iOS7) so Good on the locals who developed TBUH. I expect it will continue to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Example: I'm working in Soldotna lately, where I had lunch (at Buckets) with a glass of local brew...

Have you made it over to St. Elias? That's on our must-stop list for lunch and beer when we're down on the Peninsula.

Oh man. St Elias is on my list, but not yet.
    My coworker, who works day shifts sure likes St Elias Brewing Co.
    For me, working night shifts has been cruel in that way.
    I drive past St Elias everyday; when they're open, I am on my way to work and cannot partake.
    When I am headed home (and could stop in), they are closed. Not fair really.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Oh man. St Elias is on my list, but not yet.
    My coworker, who works day shifts sure likes St Elias Brewing Co.
    For me, working night shifts has been cruel in that way.
    I drive past St Elias everyday; when they're open, I am on my way to work and cannot partake.
    When I am headed home (and could stop in), they are closed. Not fair really.
    Sounds to me like you need a personal day.