Thread: Loss of power from my motor

Question Loss of power from my motor

I was hoping somebody could give me a clue as to what could possibly be going on with my motor. I have a 115 horse Mercury (2005) outboard on my 20 ft river boat. I took it out the other day and it just didn't have any power. I launched and let it warm up for a few minutes but when I gave it throttle it started sputtering. I thought I had rocks in the jet so I beached and took the jet off. Nothing. I had just added brand new gas (90 octane), new plugs, new fuel filter. I put the jet back on, switched gas tanks and it seemed to run better - I could finally get on step. It still didn't seem to have the power it should have though. I brought it home and checked the plugs- put dielectric grease on them, added seafoam to both tanks and I'll be taking it out tomorrow. Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what could be wrong? I'm no boat mechanic and i did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Any help, suggestions or constructive ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

James
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Check your reverse linkage, that was my problem.

Could your fuel filter be put in backwards?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Fuel contamination? I've run into similar issues a few times over the years, and water in the fuel is often the culprit...especially if you have recently refueled.

It's possible that it is in limp mode due to a sensor malfunction as well if it is one of the newer engines.

All good possibilities and I'll heck them all. After taking it out yesterday, It did the same thing. It started getting worse, only making it to 4000 RPM, so I shut the boat off in the middle of the river for about 10 seconds. I started it up said "that's It, I need a new boat". I punched the throttle and it took off like a rocket. All the way up to 5200 RPM. SO I let it go like that till we got to the boat landing. Just for S&G I turned upriver, and gave it gas again. Only 4800 RPM. So I took it in, backed my truck up, got in and took it back out to line the moat up with the trailer. Once again I gave it full juice and it took off to 5200 RPM again, I chopped the throttle back, then forward again and only 4800 RPM. Not sure what is going on but I'll keep everyone posted when I figure out *** is going on.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Look inside the fuel tanks for a slug of water in the bottom. Stop the boat and the water moves away from the fuel pickup, hit the throttle and the water moves back under the pickup tube, back and forth.

Sounds like what was happing to me. Check the reverse linkage! Lots of people remove the reverse because its a pain. I ended up taking the boat to the shop because i thought it was motor related.

Well I took it to Merita sea and ski- because I'mnot a boat Mech, and don't know who wlse to bring it to. The Service tech said he ran it, adjusted the top two carbs a bit and it ran fine. Then he said he could only get it to 5000 RPM's. I swear it runs at 5200 when it cruises... Not sure where to go from here. I'm fast becoming a non fan of mercury motors... I know I'm very impatient

Did you look in your fuel tanks or empty them completely and check for water? Did Marita use your fuel supply or their own when they had it, if yours, did they check for contamination?

They used my fuel tanks and ran it. I went there today and he ran it for me in their tank. After I was about to say wrap it up, I asked him about another problem which I thought was unrelated. Every once in awhile it will want to turn one way or another. Kind of like when your car is out of alignment. He gave me a puzzled look and then a light bulb lit up and he took another look at the jet. The bushings on the.. I can't find a stupid picture of what I'm talking about.. The part that moves out of the way when you put it in drive, as the water comes out of the jet.. Anyhow It was completely worn and had tons of slop in it. SO.... Tomorrow I'm picking it up and gonna swap that part out and hopefully get it out on the water to test it. Now I'm on a mission to find out what that part is called before tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by pa18tony View Post
    Sounds like what was happing to me. Check the reverse linkage! Lots of people remove the reverse because its a pain. I ended up taking the boat to the shop because i thought it was motor related.
    ^^^i think that is what tony said...

Yes, that would be the reverse gate interfering with the jet stream.

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    Did you look in your fuel tanks or empty them completely and check for water? Did Marita use your fuel supply or their own when they had it, if yours, did they check for contamination?
    Not to hijack the thread, but be cautious bringing your own fuel tanks in there. I brought my boat in to have the motor looked at last month. When I went to pick it up I noticed my tank (with 5 gallons of premium) was missing. I'm guessing it was the service manager that came out after a bit, but whoever it was tried to imply I never dropped it off with the tank. After a bit of back and forth he reluctantly gave me a new tank, but added I was own my own as far as the gas that was in it. I like Bill in the shop (been pretty helpful), he mentioned that there were thieves around and I left it at that. Still, I was less than impressed. Sorry for the rant, just want others to avoid the hassle.

Well The reverse gate replacement did it. Thanks for all the tips and advice from everyone. The boat is all back to running normal

well despite the motor still only running at 5100 rpm

To keep your gate from wearing out it's components again, make sure the little plunger on the under side of the jet moves freely each time you trailer it. The reverse gate butt's up against this little plunger and it keeps tension on it so it doesn't rattle around when you are cruising in forward. If you do not keep the plunger moving freely, it will lock up and the reverse gate will chatter causing the bearings on the reverse gate to become sloppy and then it becomes a problem, as you are aware.
    These plungers are prone to get dirt and debris in them and no longer work as intended.
    BK