Thread: Thinking of a new hunting tool... Argo. Any thoughts?

Default Thinking of a new hunting tool... Argo. Any thoughts?

I went in to All Seasons Argo today to take a look at the 8X8 750XDI. Fully rigged out with a tracks, top, winch, plow, rear bench seat, and several other amenities runs the same price as my Sea Ark Predator did. I'd be able to use it year round with plowing and running a trap line not too far from home down the Tanana. Our new moose area across the Tanana could really benefit from having the Argo out there, but I would have to put it in the Predator to get to our area. Is that realistic? For those that have owned them, is there no looking back once you have one? Should I be looking at a crew cab ATV like the Polaris Ranger Crew with tracks? Looking for an all around type rig that we can do a little cruising with the wife and two young'ins, head up into the hills to chase moose and caribou, and play around in the summer with the ability to plow.

Just looking for pro's/con's and experiences. Thanks!

Junky on the Tundra, hang up here and there, and the wheels are the only suspension. I had no tracks, but the Kholer engine was tough as nails.

For use in water, you need a small outboard for any sort of control, as well, when your stuck, they are HEAVY!

A Honda Forman and a cart, that's an unstickable sort in the Tundra muck.....maybe different terrain where you live, but here they are not popular, and the one I had one summer was the last one I wanted.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

A friends dad has one with the full cab. It is a bit rough riding and very very slow compared to an ATV or SxS.
    He has property out past Captain Cook park on the Peninsula. He took his truck down the beach and we took the Argo. He had to keep waiting for us to catch up. It was a very rough ride for us.
    I believe they will go places an ATV will not especially since they float(don't forget the plug) but at a slower pace and a rougher ride. They can get high centered on stumps and logs and are not totally immune from getting stuck.
    I would definetly find someone for a test drive in one first with your wife and kids. Them go for a ride in whatever your other choice of SxS is before buying.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

I remember one guy that had one, and he said he would always have to keep fixin' the darn thing. That was many moons ago, so maybe they're build a bit better now....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I remember one guy that had one, and he said he would always have to keep fixin' the darn thing. That was many moons ago, so maybe they're build a bit better now....
    Yes a friend tell me he owned an older one and the chains needed constant adjusting or one or more would fall off.
    Usually not in the most convienent place to work on it.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The argos are solid. The biggest thing to think of with them. Are you riding trails or not? If your riding trails, yes the wheelers are faster, but as soon as you get off the trail argos start to shine. Yes they are rough riding on the trails but get off them and get away from the wheelers. I would measure the inside usable floor space on the predator to confirm it fits but that setup could get you where you need to go with a ton of gear/meat
    NRA life Member JVJ

Very, VERY, V E R Y maintenance intesive!! They have their purpose...I just have no clue what it is.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I own a 2003 8x8 and wouldn't trade it for the world. Yes they are a bit slower and can be a bit rough riding.
    For me going 10-15mph down a ATV is plenty fast. Once you get to the swamp its a bit slower but nothing else is going to get you back there. If you want to go fast get an atv. If you want a work horse that can haul a full camp worth of supplys out to anywhere than and argo is for you.

I think may people compare an argo to a ATV or Snowmachine. " It won't do 90mph up a hill..." well of course not it wasn't designed for that.
    I have been out hunting in the fall and winter a its always worked when I needed it. Another thing people thing you can go anywhere and while that is argo's slogan it isn't necessarily true. You can go most places but have to be smart about it, I will try to stay out any place I might get stuck, my buddy on the other hand goes through everything and has been stuck several times, Its normally not a traction issue but gets wedged in a creek or trees etc.

They are not a boat so but they float and swim(sort of) I can make it across a small lake with out problems but it's not graceful by any means. Yes an outboard would help.

I was up on the Taylor this winter and hauled two full Caribou out in the back with my camp supplys and my argo never noticed it, It floats on top of the snow without problems.

As far as maintenance goes.... There really isn't much more than any other toy.
    The chains have self tensioners, so there really is no need to adjust them just spray every trip with your favorite chain lube. The bearings need greasing every 25hrs or so. Other than that its the normal oil chains and standard maintenance you'll have with an ATV or Snowmachine.

Post over at 6x6 world and you'll get some more helpful advice. Also check out youtube for some cool videos.
    Here is a link for the service manual so you can get an idea of the maintenance
    http://www.argoadventure.com/Argo_Parts_Manuals.html

Remember is always nice to be warm and dry/

Feel free to ask me any questions,

I've a hunting partner that just bought an Argo and so far we're impressed. I can see some issues with rubber tires, but tracks open an entirely new world and are as different as night is to day....

I suppose they are like most other modes of mechanized transport, in that they require maintenance, can be a hassle if stuck but they let you access areas that simply are not huntable without them. If you can swing the entry price and use tracks when they're most appropriate then I gotta believe you're going to be completely satisfied with an Argo.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I would probably have to set up a loading ramp and base for the argo to fit in the Predator. I thought about having a ramp come up on the side of the boat right in front of the console. It would ride on top of the rails with a wooden base below it to make a flat deck. I'd be looking at the side of the argo heading up and down the river. Might not work too well that way with a canopy on the argo though.

I think with anything, you get used to what you work with. I'm not looking for speed, mainly just getting me into country that puts me at better odds of seeing more game, and less people. I looked at the price of some of the razor quad cabs, and with tracks, plow and all the amenities, it's a bit less expensive but not by as much as I was expecting. I think I'll talk to the Argo distributor in Fairbanks and see if I can get some seat time on different terrain.

Thanks for all the real world experiences, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Look into shipping one up from the states you can save a ton. The argo dealer in town is a rip off

Here is a good video of what they are made for.
    Look at this guys other videos he really puts his machines to work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAq53...layer_embedded

Quote Originally Posted by gokorn1 View Post
    Look into shipping one up from the states you can save a ton. The argo dealer in town is a rip off
    Yep when i was pricing them out I found that you could get one shipped up here for a substantial savings than what all seasons sells them for.