Thread: Wading Willow or Montana

Default Wading Willow or Montana

My 12 yr old son is an enthusiastic young fly fisherman and really wants to fish rivers or streams for trout this weekend. Hoping to avoid Kenai crowds so plan to head north. Any advice on best spots to bank or wade fish on Willow or Montana (or other road accessible Parks highway stream). He is a big 12 yr old and wade fishes well.

Thanks!

Wherever you go, water levels make all the difference. I'd steer clear of high water anywhere, which for most begins short of knee high. Keep an eye downstream for him... sometimes it's what you run under downstream which causes the trouble. Have fun.

What kind of soles are on his wading boots? He needs some kind of gripping rubber or metal spikes to wade slip free. Make sure he wears a belt (tight) outside the waders. A ski pole or hiking staff works for a wading staff, which is very helpful in fast water - at any depth.
    If the rain doesn't bring the water up, you shouldn't have any problems in most places on either creek. the bead bite has started.

Montana has nice rainbows mix'n with the salmon,i saw 5 while I was fly fish'n for salmon. I didnt catch any trout but still fun trying

He wore good gripping rubber soles and did welll. Willow creek was loaded with spawning salmon (pink, red, chum and King) where we fished so it was hard to get a bead drift without catching or snagging a salmon. My 12 year old did well though and managed to catch a couple of beautiful trout.

Quote Originally Posted by mhk View Post
    He wore good gripping rubber soles and did welll. Willow creek was loaded with spawning salmon (pink, red, chum and King) where we fished so it was hard to get a bead drift without catching or snagging a salmon. My 12 year old did well though and managed to catch a couple of beautiful trout.
    Good to hear that you guys had a good time.

Belt on the waders or not please put him in a life vest too.

Both those can get pretty quick and deep in some spots. Gotta watch where you cross if you go down or up. Just there last weekend with seabass and it was pretty hairy in some spots.

The water is much higher now than it was last weekend. Those hairy spots are now not wadable.

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Question: How late in the fall do parks streams usually continue to fish well?

Anyone been out to the willow, Montana area lately? How's the water looking?

The water levels came way up again early in the week. It is back down to fishable levels, but still to high for many of the river crossings. Be careful if your on foot!

Get down, get deep, get snagged, fish on!
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"