Thread: Nikon Monarch Laser800 Range Finder

Default Nikon Monarch Laser800 Range Finder

Any opinions??

I have the 600 and like it. The laser stopped working properly so I sent it back. It took a month but they ended up sending me a brand new one. The problem may have been my own fault. I dropped it on the basement floor once when it was brand new. Worked fine for bow range but terrible in the field. After bow season ended I sent it in. Everything is cool now. Everything reads fine even at long distances. I guess my only reccomendation would be to purchase a neoprene cover/protector for it.

Good luck, Joel

Default seems ok

I bought one used (brand new) last summer. I used it sheep hunting last fall and this spring on other trips. I got it to range sheep at a little over 600 yards. Basically everytime I push the button it comes on, focuses well, seems to have decent glass, and fit's comfortably in my side pants pocket. I like it and recommend it for 600 yards or less (non-reflective). This is the first one I have owned and I really like having it. Judging distance in "open" country is **** near impossible! It's amazing how far off some of your estimates will be! Good luck.

Default Good Choice

I have the exact model and it works great. It's quick and clear and works great on whitetails. I went to different places and tested their different models and for the money I thought this one was by far the best. Looking forward to testing it out in AK come June and Sept. The farthest I've ranged it so far was 480 yds on whitetail deer. Got mine on ebay and saved $100. It was purchased from sharp and shiny new in factory sealed box for 258.85 including shipping.

Hope the info helps. Tim

Thanks guys. It seems like a great value. Or maybe even the 1200 gold.

Default 1200 Gold

Not sure I could recommend this one. I've never been able to get to range over 850.

kingfisherktn

Thanks. I just looked at them both. I like the smaller size and lighter weight of the 800. That's far enough anyway. The 800 I just looked at was 6x21. I think they make a 7x25 also. I guess either one would do. I suppose the 6x21 will give a larger FOV and be a little brighter. I'll just start looking for a deal on either the 6x21 or 7x25 800. I read some online reviews that were positive also.

Default Nikon 800

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Any opinions??
    Hey Snyd, thought you were looking into the CRF? I was too, but can't dish out the cash$$$$$$$ for it right now.

Honest opinions about the Nikon...it didn't fit my hand well. Shape was awkward. Other than that, it looked to be good for the money. I played with one for a while and it seemed to read reflective and non-reflective targets well. Glass was good (good enough for what it's worth).

bucknrut,
    Ya, I was looking at the crf but haven't been able to justify the cost yet. I am buying a new spotting scope and rangefinder and also want to get some 10x25 high quality binos. Like some zeiss 10x25 classics. I see them on ebay for around 250. I can get the nikon rangefinder and the zeiss 10x25's for the price of a crf rangefinder alone! About 5 bills. Thay puts the weight of the binos and rangfinder at about 15ozs. My Pentax 10x43 DCF SP's (which I love) weigh 26 ozs. They will stay at home on the sheep and goat hunts.

At this point I have narrowed it down to the following

Pentax PF65 EDA II 38 ozs (unless I find a skookum deal on a used zeiss diascope 65 or even 85)
    Not sure yet on the eyepiece (s) yet for the Pentax maybe 8-13 ozs
    Nikon Monarch 800 RF 7.5 ozs
    Zeiss 10x25 classics 7.5 ozs

That will put me at 5lbs plus my tripod and run me 1200-1500 or so. About as light as I think I can get with decent optics.

Perry,I too have the exact same model and love it.Mine has been dropped,kicked,sat on,you name it and it keeps reading everything.Very good "bang for the buck" as they say.You wont be disappointed.

P.S.- I also liked how it sits straight up and down,not sideways like others.I dont like my other eye being blocked or having to re-adjust my hat just too look through one.Just my 2 cents.....................

Default Last gadget on gear list

Perry,

I bought the Monarch 800 just for my sheep hunt coming up in 2 months.
    I will give you a better report after the hunt. One thing I like about them is it has a internal green light you can activate in low light. Its pretty sweet.
    The Nikon was pretty much the last thing on my sheep hunt wish list. Lets just say my wife thought every time she saw the UPS dude, he was heading for our house!

Thanks guys.

Falcon, I too am buying one for my sheep hunt this year. Last year I took a looonnnggg shot. I got the ram but misjudged the distance.

Also, over the last few years I passed up some shots at moose in the hills because I wasn't quite sure. Anyway, I figure it's a good time for a rangefinder and still can't quite get myself to want to spend 500 bucks for the Leica crf 900 when you can get the Nikon new on ebay for about 250.

I like the size and feel of the 800 6x21. The 1200 seems a little too big for my hands.