Thread: Emergency Order Unit# 13 CARIBOU........NELCHINA Hunt

Default Emergency Order Unit# 13 CARIBOU........NELCHINA Hunt

Don't know if this has been posted: If this is OLD news would a nice moderator please delete.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2013/08/...caribou-hunts/

Just FYI... the actual EO is available from ADFG at http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...s/04-04-13.pdf
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Yes, old news, but may still catch a few people that missed the other threads talking about it.

Word needs to go out. Alot of people have not checked and are assuming they are good. Talked to 2 groups today at lunch that had no clue.

F&G actually sent me an email about it today.......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    F&G actually sent me an email about it today.......
    Me too...they're about a week late, IMO they should have sent the e-mail it out when they made the EO on the Nelchina hotline recording that you're supposed to call before you go out.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Word needs to go out. Alot of people have not checked and are assuming they are good. Talked to 2 groups today at lunch that had no clue.
    How much are they supposed to do to cover people's ignorance of the regs? Why not ask them to go knock on everyone's doors too along with phone calls and notification checkpoints as you leave town? Sorry, I just get a bit annoyed when people need everyone else to look out for them. Some personal responsibility once in a while would be nice these days.

You'd be surprised just how ignorant a segment of the hunting population is. All the regular regulations are laid out in black and white in the book and have been so for decades, yet people still break the rules and claim they "didn't know". I was talking to a guy a couple weeks ago who was telling me about this great spot off the Denali Hwy they found for hunting. They drove their ATV back up this cool trail, camped for a couple days and shot caribou back by this nice alpine lake. When he gives me a couple landmarks and says they were north of the hwy, I say, "you mean south of the hwy?". Nope, out comes a map and he points to the area, the lake and the place he dropped his bou... right out in the Clearwater CUA. So I try to explain to him that he committed a misdemeanor by hunting via motorized vehicle in that area and he defends it by saying that there were well used ATV trails and he didn't know anything about this Clearwater CUA. Had to go to the ADFG site and print out the CUA map with accompanying regulations to prove it. He got all ticked off and walked away beachin' about how he's going to have to find a different spot this year. And this was a life-long Alaskan of "seasoned" age who should have known better. Sometimes you just can't fix stupid.

Here is my official prediction... since all the tags went out with "one caribou" printed on them and the change to bull only was by EO, there are going to be a whole bunch of citations issued from August 11 to Sept 20 for people taking cows. I seriously wouldn't be surprised if the number of citations exceeds 100 during the early season.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    'And this was a life-long Alaskan of "seasoned" age who should have known better.'
    Ohh so your saying its not just us military types like the majority of folks that accuse us of solely not following the rules.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Ohh so your saying its not just us military types like the majority of folks that accuse us of solely not following the rules.
    No but you guys were the first in history to get 3 trucks stuck off the haul road after illegally wheeling them in after caribou.

LOL

I think "some" military guys fall victim to it because "some" are so eager to hunt they fall under the wing of the wrong people. Tough to learn everything you need to know to stay outta trouble right out the gate.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    No but you guys were the first in history to get 3 trucks stuck off the haul road after illegally wheeling them in after caribou.

LOL

I think "some" military guys fall victim to it because "some" are so eager to hunt they fall under the wing of the wrong people. Tough to learn everything you need to know to stay outta trouble right out the gate.
    It was two trucks, actually. To your other point TWB, I sympathize with military guys for whom Alaska is a dream-come-true. They're trying to get in as much hunting as they can, and in between the 3 year assignment, the year long wait for residency and the likelihood of being deployed they might overlook some important details about where and when and how.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post

LOL

I thought it was two trucks....and Im pretty sure they were air force guys from eilson, so myself being army will separate from those turds. I do believe however, from alot of posts I have seen on here, that we are accused of breaking so many rules and regulations, while in all actuality I would bet a months paycheck that more game violations are commited by residents then military.
    "The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    I thought it was two trucks....and Im pretty sure they were air force guys from eilson, so myself being army will separate from those turds. I do believe however, from alot of posts I have seen on here, that we are accused of breaking so many rules and regulations, while in all actuality I would bet a months paycheck that more game violations are commited by residents then military.

They worked "Intel" out of JBER. But yes, military as a whole I am guessing are outranked in numbers of sportsman in Alaska.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I won't lie, I came to Alaska eight years ago from Salt Lake City and the hunting regs were a bit overwhelming to me. I just wasn't used to all the regs regarding motorized travel, all the different units (Alaska is obviously far larger than Utah), or, honestly, all the different game animals. I was taken aback by the harvest ticket/draw hunt situation. I had never heard of a system that exists here in Alaska. At the same time, I was excited about the idea of picking up a bunch of free harvest tickets and having the opportunity of getting a shot at several animals in a single trip. Three bears, a moose, a sheep, a handful of caribou, wolves. All this is enough to tie one's brain in knots if one is accustomed to purchasing a buck deer permit and a bull elk permit per year for a total of $75. That said, I kind of laid back for a year or two to give myself a chance to get my bearings straight and get my wits about me. It's hard to gain a sense of scale when you're a newbie looking at the regs for such a vast state. Fast forward a few years. Now, I look back and am amazed that I was so uncertain and so confused because it seems like you can go hunting and shoot anything that moves in some areas. But I still remember what I went through to understand how it works here. This helps me relate to folks that ask a ton of questions and that have no clue what's going on with regs in Alaska. When you come to a place with regulations so foreign and different from what you're used to, it's easy to get into trouble. I'm not saying it's okay and I'm absolutely not saying it's okay to drive trucks through the tundra in a non motorized area for any reason. I think there are a lot of people new to Alaska that just aren't quite used to having so many bases covered. At the same time, there are a lot of people that have been here for decades that grow complacent and kick some of those bases under the proverbial rug. Bottom line: Know the regs and keep up on the EO's! If you don't know, ask. There are plenty of folks here that know the regs inside and out. Sometimes, they are tough to decipher, especially if you're new to the state. Sure, there's the occasional guy that makes you feel like an ass for asking, but it's better than feeling like an ass for getting busted because you shot a cow in a bull only area.

This is just the age we live in. When I was a teenager most states issued a basic pamphlet with game laws and regs. Think about it...just a pamphlet. Nowadays every single state has a booklet full of stuff like seasons, units, zones, regulations, equipment, ethics, property laws, how-to, reporting...ad infinitum. Alaska being huge and varied has an enormous full set of regulations to cover the entire state. I definitely sympathize with those who are confused and intimidated by so many pages of regs. The level of complexity makes it a guaranteed thing that violations will be more numerous, but I'm not taking the side of those who violate. It's all there in black and white...a lot of black and white...and we have no choice except to find it, read it and understand it. The caribou updates are a prime example. Speaking of caribou, this year I did 100% of my nonresident Alaska license and tags/permits online. Not simple! I was able to purchase a hunting license, moose tag, wolf tag etc no problem. All those documents, along with locking tags, were mailed to me. I could NOT apply/get the Moose Harvest Permit/Ticket online until July, but this I was able to print. I also wanted an RC860 Caribou Registration Permit, but it wasn't available until August 7. I just got it a few days ago. The RC860 hunt is subject to all kinds of emergency orders...imagine dealing with last minute updates and in-the-field changes when you're a nonresident. I wonder in regards to Alaska's varied laws and game regs....does anyone know....."Is there an App for that"?

Quote Originally Posted by K Dill View Post
    ....."Is there an App for that"?
    Thought about developing one, but nope, the ADF&G essentially prohibits the use of their web content based on copyright terms:

Subject to fair use, such as limited copying for purposes of scientific research or criticism, the unauthorized copying and posting of material contained within a department publication or web page to a non-ADF&G hard publication, web page or other electronic publication constitutes copyright infringement.
    (http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...home.copyright)

That's just a small bit from their copyright page; read the whole thing to get the complete picture.

By the way, use of the above quote falls under fair use
    "Your papers are not in order"

It is a load of crap that ADFG doesn't have a subscription service for hunting and sport fishing EO's, when they have one up and running for all commercial fishing EO's. They should have the same service for the sport side so that you get an instant notification on your smarty pants phone when an EO is published. Obviously they have the system in place as I've been subscribed to the commercial fishing EO service for the last couple years and get notifications pop up all summer long for those. But you still have to go to their website and manually look for any sport EO's.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!