Thread: If you were ask, would you do it?

Default If you were ask, would you do it?

If you were ask to go on a moose hunt and were told you would be hunting a swamp by yourself. This swamp is located in the foothills where the terrain forces the moose to use the swamp to move from the mountains to the valley. The reason I know this is there are tracks going down the middle of the swamp.

Moose being moose you can't trust them to follow the rules and can show up at any time. So you would have to camp next the swamp and stay there all day. I will be hunting close by but not the swamp.

Would you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If you were ask to go on a moose hunt and were told you would be hunting a swamp by yourself. This swamp is located in the foothills where the terrain forces the moose to use the swamp to move from the mountains to the valley. The reason I know this is there are tracks going down the middle of the swamp.

Moose being moose you can't trust them to follow the rules and can show up at any time. So you would have to camp next the swamp and stay there all day. I will be hunting close by but not the swamp.

Would you do it?
    I don't see any problems hunting outside the swamp. Hunting in/adjacent to the swamp would depend a lot on how wet it actually is and what it would take to butcher a moose in it. Camping next to the swamp would be the biggest thing. After a freeze when the bugs are essentially gone, no problem. Before, I might campe further away and walk to it to hunt.

Would you do it?
    Depends on weather or not you're ok with shooting a bull in the swamp. If you are prepared with come-a-longs and/or winches and something to hook them to that is strong enough to yard them out with, then maybe it wouldn't be too bad. But personally, I've let a few moose walk because I pretty much refuse to shoot a bull, much less try and butcher one in that stinky slop. Remember when a moose falls in a swamp it may lay there on top and seem fine, but when you start moving it around it will sink more and more as you work on it. Before long it may be totally submerged in that slop.

Nope..........not for me.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The reason for camping next to the swamp is to be there before dawn and leave after dust when most moose are moving. I know a person could could move through the area in the dark but he would make a lot of noise, it's that thick. I have not walk the whole swamp, the areas I have been in is not wet at least not that wet so there no problem getting a moose out. There heavy brush all around the swamp so finding a camping may take time. Waiting for freeze up so the bugs are gone is not an option. To be successful the swamp must be hunted when the moose are coming down from the hills.

4merguide
    You must have missed it when I said “The reason I know this is there are tracks going down the middle of the swamp.” If the swamp was that wet, moose would be walking down the sides not the middle where the ground is firmer.

~~Go!~~

~~Go!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

4merguide
    You must have missed it when I said “The reason I know this is there are tracks going down the middle of the swamp.” If the swamp was that wet, moose would be walking down the sides not the middle where the ground is firmer.
    Whatever......Personally I've never seen what I would call a "firm" swamp. Obviously your definition of a swamp must be different than mine. As well as I've never known a moose to care in the least about how wet a swamp is. If they need to go through it they go through it, and from my experience, do so on a regular basis. You asked if I would do it, I said no. If you want to then by all means.....go right ahead.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When I worked out east of Cordova, that's all we hunted was swamps, cause that's where the moose were. IMO, this doesnt really sound like much of a decision.

Of course you should hunt there, as long as you can get in an you can get a moose out. Bugs should really be somewhat of a non issue at this point of the year. I mean we've been swattin em for months now, at some point they just become kinda normal...are you solo hunting?

To me the deal-breaker is the hunting alone (in a swamp) part of it. I can manage a moose by myself maybe. I can manage a swamp moose with help. A total solo butcher and pack from a defined swamp or bog is a recipe for big problems and maybe a fine or worse. I killed a nice bull which died in a slough a few years ago. The water was calf-deep, and the butchering job was 100% harder than the dry-ground moose I've done. I would never purposely target swamp moose by myself...not advised.

I don't know the geography, of course, but I wonder why you wouldn't just hunt the lower end of the swamp? If the moose are using it as a highway, they surely exit somewhere, and the lower end would be my guess . . . . . The biggest problem I see is packing it out. If the swamp is truly a wet swamp, your chances of falling face down in the water is a real consideration, as is breaking a leg with a load on your back. I'm sure you already know that Alaska is terribly unforgiving. I lost a good friend, a lodge owner named Piekarski was just mowing his lodge lawn on a ride around mower. It slipped, went over the bank along the Yentna River, and pinned him. He was dead from hypothermia by morning. He was a big, strong guy, Alaska's most penalized hockey player, and plenty wise in the bush. Just be careful . . . . .

In the area I hunt thousands of years ago there were lakes and over the years the lakes were cover by peat moss. Some lakes could support a large truck other would not support anything. I call all these areas swamp. I have no dough I can get my vehicle to the animal, if not I carry a couple hundred feet of cable.

A little back ground about the area I hunt is hell to get into and I need someone to come along if there are problems. In the pass the people I would take do not know how to call moose or hunt brush and they would end up following me around. We been busted so many time by not knowing what the other person need to do or just being inexperience I just want to hunt solo.

A couple of years ago I found this swamp and it looked really mooseeee. My plan was to have my hunting partner sit and watch the swamp for moose.

It would take a special person with the fortitude to stay there waiting for something to walk by. Personally I could not do it, I would be bored out of my mind and that's the reason for my question. If YOU were asked, would YOU stay there all day. I would be camping and hunting close by in my own personal hunting hell. LOL

I thought if there were other people who would do it, I would ask him and see if he was interested in doing it, or find someone that knows how to hunt brush; and that does not look like that will ever happen.

Trying to think of a time I hunted moose that wasn't in a swamp and I can't come up with one. That's where the moose are. My best tree stand hunting spot was in the center of a swamp. Walked about a mile to it from camp every morning before sunrise and sat there until lunch time. Went back to camp through the mid-day. Returned in the early evening and sat until dusk. Packed quite a few moose out of there over the years, though it is certainly a pain to trudge through the muck. I see absolutely no problem with it, just survey your area well and designate the shoot/no-shoot areas to try and drop them on the firmest ground (though they don't always cooperate with that, just be prepared with winches and waders).
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I personnally would hunt the area.

I hunted terain similar for a number of years.

Took my biggest bull in just such an area. And had to walk around a large "wet' area to get to him to start recovery of the meat.

Go for it, take a book, watch birds in your binos, hell if you have to take short "moose" naps while yer waiting

It will be worth it to harvest your winter meat.

Chris

Moose are where you find them....seeing tracks means nothing, as likely as not they were made in the middle of the night....my personal preference is to go farther than the crowd, and hunt as many hours of daylight as possible. Moose are most active from dusk til dawn, but I've seen them shot at any time of day. Patience and persistence pay dividends with moose.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Hunting Solo to me means you are alone. Hunting by yourself in a different direction than your hunting partner is a different story. Packing out a moose by yourself takes 4 times as long as if you had one more person. Two people or more can manage a moose just fine. So, if you have a buddy or two to help butcher and pack, then go for it. If not, then you have to be much more careful.

The problem is not the swamp, bugs, camp sight etc. It is picking the right place to call and shoot from. I assume you are going to call one in and not try and tromp around all day hoping to run in to one. So, pick a place to call from and set it up for success wary of wind direction and noises you make. Try to call something into and then out of said swamp over several days and go home happy. And by all means, do not shoot one in the water. That truly sucks. If it is just you, it makes it easier to keep the calling and hunting locations more "pristine." Two people tromping into a location sounds like two humans. One person can be mistaken for a moose if you walk right. Hunting by yourself can be much more productive that way.

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Moose are where you find them....seeing tracks means nothing, as likely as not they were made in the middle of the night....my personal preference is to go farther than the crowd, and hunt as many hours of daylight as possible. Moose are most active from dusk til dawn, but I've seen them shot at any time of day. Patience and persistence pay dividends with moose.
    Cdubbin:
    You are absolutely right on all points. I will admit there could be a small window then the bulls come down from the high country. The area would meet all your requirement and so much more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I assume you are going to call one in and not try and tromp around all day hoping to run in to one. .
    You would be wrong, I use to stay in one spot and call moose. Until I went hunting with a couple of guys and they showed me a new way of hunting moose. I have refined there method and you would not believe the number of moose I can find.