Thread: Grayling fishing near anchorage

Default Grayling fishing near anchorage

I Will Be In Anchorage July 12 To 25 . Does Any Body Know Where I Could Go To Catch Some Grayling On Spinners . Im Not Much Of A Fly Fisherman.i Dont Mind Traveling A Ways Or Even Hiking . Ive Always Wanted To Catch A Graying. Have Been To Alaska Before But Never Worked Out . Would Be Thankful For Any Info. Thanks

The closest places to catch grayling to Anchorage would be Beach Lake in Chugach or Meirs Lake in Palmer. I think the closest stream would be Willow Creek. Most of the streams along the Parks hiway have grayling but that is 70 miles or so north of Anchorage. Hope this helps...

Drive south about 2.5 hours to Kenai Lake and then make the ~3 mile hike up to Crescent Lake. You'll catch more grayling than you can count!

Default Kenai Lake/Crescent Lake

If you take the trail to Crescent from the Kenai Lake end, expect a 6 mile hike. The Carter Lake side is 3 miles. Probably the best stillwater grayling fishing in the area. 2 fish limit and doesn't open until July 1

Good luck

get a casting bubble and a dry fly or nymph
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Oops! Thanks for the correction on the hiking distance, Fish Guide.

Default crescent trail

I've read that the crescent lase trail runs along the creek and there is pretty good grayling fishing the entire way up to the lake. I've never been but you can count on me being there come 7/1 with my 5 weight and a box of Colorado dry flies.

Default Crescent Lake trail/creek

There are times that you cross the creek and can see the creek from the trail, but don't expect that you will have access to much of the creek...

It does make sense, however that grayling would be in the creek because they are often found in Quartz creek... (Crescent flows into Quartz).

by the way, this is an awesome bike trail!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Drive south about 2.5 hours to Kenai Lake and then make the ~3 mile hike up to Crescent Lake. You'll catch more grayling than you can count!
    brian thanks for info on cresant lake can i cast from shore and is there any other fish in cresent thanks again what should i use for bait and what about time of day

how about other fish in cresent and what shoud i use for bait and can i cast from shore thans everybody

Cast small spinners or small black flies. You should be able to do just fine from shore. Grayling are voracious feeders and will strike just about anything thrown their way that they can fit into their little mouths.

As for other fish, I know that there are rainbows in Carter Lake (further up the same valley), but I'm not sure about Crescent. Maybe someone else here knows?

Time of day shouldn't matter that much, but grayling do tend to be more active on the surface at dusk, which in July doesn't come around until 10 or 11 at night. Ah...gotta love fishing by the midnight sun!

I don't fish for grayling to much but aren't the spinners typically a size 00 or 000? Just trying to clarify so he knows that they should be real small.

Default hike to cresent

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    If you take the trail to Crescent from the Kenai Lake end, expect a 6 mile hike. The Carter Lake side is 3 miles. Probably the best stillwater grayling fishing in the area. 2 fish limit and doesn't open until July 1

Good luck
    could you please fill me in on the hike to cresent. iam fifty in pretty good shape. also where exactly i go to get on trail i am from michigan .thank you

go to cooper landing turn left at the sign that says quarts creek you'll find the trail
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Beach lake has a few in it.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Drive 45 minutes north to Canoe Lake.The lake is full of grayling AND rainbows.

Default canoe lake

can i fish from shore at canoe lake

It is a small lake and there is some private property but there is shore access also.Spinner's and also shrimp with a bobber works well.