Thread: Garmin has stopped making the 4210 GPS

Default Garmin has stopped making the 4210 GPS

I was having problems with my 3210 Garmin shutting off so I purchased a new 4210 about two weeks ago. I also purchased a 24gsd black box with the 4210 and was having problems hooking up so I called Garmin for help. The tech support person told me that Garmin had stopped making the 4210 on Tuesday. I told her I was having problems hooking the 4210 to the 24gsd black box as the 22 gsd worked with the 4210 but the 24gsd would not show that I had sonar only a message that no transducer was hooked up. The 22 series used a 6 pin connector and the 24gsd has an 8 pin connector but there is an adapter box to make the conversion. Has any one had this problem? Also my 4210 will change time while I am going on a route. The arrival time will be 2 hours off from the right time. I told Garmin about that problem and they said they would get back with me. As far as the 4210 goes I am not impressed with it at all. They have taken many of the user friendly items away and made the unit where you can not adjust the settings like time, turn radar on by just pressing a single button, or scroll thru your different by hitting just 1 button. Also note that three people that I know all their Garmin 3210 plotters quit working with the last 60 days.

I deal a lot with Garmin products. I sell a lot of the 42xx series. They are a proven, solid, reliable machine. The interface has changed a bit, but they always do in any device. Sometimes for the better and sometimes not(windows8). If the GSD24 is saying the xdcr is not attached then make sure that you have the adapter and all of the required plugs pushed in all the way. I'm assuming your transducer is the same one you used on your 3210? What version of the software do you have on your 4210? As for no longer building them....I've spoken with a number of people at Garmin and no one has heard that rumor. Normally garmin will announce when a series is going to be discontinued and will have and alternate product to replace it with. If you continue to have problems feel free to give me a call. 907.772.3100.

Sounds frustrating. I hate it when electronics don't work the way they are supposed to. I have a 4210 though and love mine. No problems yet and Ive found it to be an incredibly helpful piece of equipment. There are a few things that could be more streamlined, but so far it is very reliable. I am going to be moving it to my aft controls and putting a 72xx up front soon though, I need something I can see while fishing, drifting, etc.

I just looked through the memo from Garmin, the 4208 and 4212 are on the discontinued list, but the 4210 is not. 4210's have been very solid, I would expect you'll find a wiring issue or just need to update your software.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

I have the 4212, which is the same as yours but with different maps preloaded, I believe. About a year ago I went from the GSD 22 to the GSD 24, and was initially unable to get it to work. I am a bit hazy on the details, but I think there was some ambiguity in the installation directions about a need to hook up the bare wire. Hopefully this is enough to get you to the solution. I have been using the GSD 24 for a year or more, and it is definitely a big improvement over the GSD 22.

Attachment 72739
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

First and foremost update the software on the 4210 unit. Go to garmin.com and get all recent updates for the 4200 series. Download them onto an SD card and load it onto the 4210. Make sure you back up your units data, i.e.: waypoints, prior to the update.
    I recently went from a gsd 22 to the gsd 24 and had the same message. Only the most recent software updates are compatible with the 24. The update solved all problems with time, date and gsd 24 compatability issues.
    If you still have trouble try contacting Gil (semperfi fishing) on The Hull Truth blog. He's exceptionally knowledgable and very likely can walk you through any issues with your unit.
    My 4212/GSD 24 combo works very well....exponentially better than the GSD 22. Work out the bugs and I believe you'll be very pleased.

Garmin.com
    -> support --> software
    ->marine device software updates
    -> Garmin marine network with SD card
    -> 4210

Don't mean to hijack this post, but what improvements are you guys seeing with the GSD 24 over the 22?

Thanks.

I have to agree with the comments of the two guys who recommended the Garmin GSD 24. I switched from the GSD 22, which I could never get to work well at all, and I have been more than pleased with the 24. When other fishermen would talk about seeing bait balls and individual feeding fish on the outside, I did not know what they were talking about, but I now see the same thing on my sonar screen. The GSD 24 does not have fish symbols, but you will learn that you do not need them. It is a great improvement.

I did the software updates did not help with the GDS 24 still can not detect transducer. Also the updates did not help with the unit changing time zones once I was 10 miles of shore. I ended up going to the custom time page and playing with plus and minus hours until the unit matched my area. My area was -800..

Contact Gil (SemperFi Fishing) on the Hull Truth Blog.... Marine electronics thread. He sells and distributes marine electronics out of north california...originally from the Palmer-Wasilla area. He will very likely be able to give you meaningful assistance.
    A great guy that is very knowledgeable and very generous with his time.