Thread: Hewes Cutting Board

Default Hewes Cutting Board

I finally got around to building my fillet table for the boat. It's 26" x 48" with 5 1/2" sides and a 4" shelf on the top. I made a couple side shelves to hold cold drinks and some bottles of butt juice. The top shelf is going to be used to hold cut bait ready for trolling or mooching and I'll be able to hang some jigs off the front too. I mounted it directly to the original fish box lids. It wasn't my original plan, but it works pretty good. It rests pretty good when tilted back and whatever is on the table won't spill off the back. I hope to give it a good work out this weekend while we are in PWS.

27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks great!!!! Not sure if we are gonna go out Saturday. We'll see what the weather does.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Nice job Rob. What did you build it out of?

Sent from my phone while I should be working.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks guys. I picked up the 1/2" cutting board material from CAC Plastics in Wasilla. I think it's actually HDPE.
    MMSI# 338232859

Hey Rob just an idea, but you could fit a nice drawer between the aluminum supports, heck if you wanted to get fancy you could build a very small bait cooler. Just big enough to hold a flat of herring and an ice pack. I have been looking at the Miller marine cutting boards for a while, but maybe I will just tackle it myself.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Dang. That's a great idea. Guess I'll head back out to CAC next week and fix one up.
    I checked out those fish tables online too. They sure are nice. At first I thought they are wet pricey but after the cost of materials and the time to build one they are not really that bad. But I like building stuff so I'm good with what I have.
    MMSI# 338232859

Looks good rob!
    It's better to burn out than fade away.....

Sweet! Only mods I can see would be a low lip in the front and some drain holes along the back.

You did a nice job.
    Consider adding on a box on each side just to hold any gear.

Wow, very nice!

Rob check these out by MMP. I know he does custom work, might give you some ideas on a drawer. Use the drop down box on the right, part way down. The Products tab on the main page appears broken.

Miller Marine
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

So, We got back from a long wet weekend at the Paulson Bay cabin. I got to use the table quite a bit while fishing. I picked up a couple of those clear show box tubs and used them in the middle to store gear. They didn't work too well. A drawer is going to be built soon.
    There are two drain holes on the top shelf and the bottom shelf. They work great and kept the table really clean. That HDPE is really slick stuff. I think I will add a lip on the front edge and maybe a little roof of sorts on the back edge of the top shelf to keep stuff in place whn the table is tilted up.
    Cutting bait an filleting fish sure is easier now. I got a few ideas a while back from the Miller Marine site. They sure make nice looking tables.
    MMSI# 338232859

Nice job. I like the idea of a high back so when you flip it up you don't need to take everything off. I put a scupper hole in the corner of mine using a hole saw, flange and pvc discharge hose from home depot:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-1-1...0#.UglnOpKkpnI
    The hose is flexible, flat and just barely touches the water so it doesn't get in the way of anything. Keeps fish blood and scales out of my motor well.

Looks great Rob - how you going to clean those huge 'buts you pull up tho?

Boatless, soon to be in Texas

Big halibut? Not this year. It's been pretty bad for us. I think the biggest we've pulled in was around 30 lbs. last year was pretty amazing. Spoiled me I guess.
    MMSI# 338232859