Lessons Learned, Great Glasses, and a free fly box - plus a lost reel :(
So last week I returned home from my annual fly fishing trip to Alaska. Post Alaska depression setting in now. But I learned a lot and had a great experience - besides losing a brand new reel at montana creek after I think I left it on the top of the car The focus of this trip was much more sockeye related and we spent a lot of hours flipping for them on the Kenai to slow success. Arrived a week late for the run to still be in the lower river with much force. So instead I got to experience the fullest of combat fishing at the Russian Confluence... not sure its my favorite thing to do but met some nice people none the less.
- Sockeye are great eating, but quite frankly there is so much other fun fishing besides Sockeyes to be had. Some of the funnest days were fishing Montana Creek for bows and at the mouth for Pinks/Chum/Silvers as well as fishing some creeks along the turnagain arm. Flipping was fun as well and the fight of a sockeye is a blast - but my passion is still trout.
- Chum salmon may not be good eating salmon, but they are a freaking blast on the fly! Caught several on Turnagain arm creeks and absolutely loved it. Thought for a moment I was going to go down the rapids with one of them!
- I knew this already - but big rainbow fishing in Alaska is SOOOO different from the lower 48 and especially the mountain west. Managed to hook into some nice fish though.
- Pink Salmon on 5/6wt rods is a blast!
- And as always I was reminded that Alaska is a treasure that has to be protected!
The three of us reviewers (www.flygearreviews.com) also tested out a few pairs of sunglasses that I worked with guideline sunglasses to best suit the Alaska light conditions. We'll have our reviews up on them next week as well as a pair that we are giving away for free. Overall - we found them to be incredibly effective. Even fishing the russian confluence I was spotting sockeye in the aqua blue waters of the Kenai river that others with polarized lens could not see.
Also tested out a new fly box from Risen Fly. Found it to be an excellent value for the price. We are also giving one of those away for those that enter, check out the review here: http://www.flygearreviews.com/risen-...-box-giveaway/
Enjoy a few pics.