Thread: dm 920/922 dalton highway corridor help

Default dm 920/922 dalton highway corridor help

hey everyone, I drew the Moose tag for the Dalton Highway Corridor south of slate creek, basically I have the corridor from Coldfoot and then south along the highway. I've never hunted the dalton for moose before and only ever driven it at night; so If anyone has any prods in the right direction or anything they can tell me about the hunt it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

head up later in season to hunt when its colder around 8th sep, drew the north area last year and was rained on for 9 of 10 days the 1 cool clear day was the only day we saw animals

I drew that tag a couple years ago but shot a moose before I went up so didn't hunt for moose, but when I was driving up for caribou in September I actually saw a few bulls right next to the road that I could have attempted at killing. When I walked in for sheep one year north of cold foot I saw the biggest moose I've ever seen down in a valley, could have been 65 inches or so I reckon. I think calling would be affective in early mid September or else maybe get on really high spot and find one first.

Thanks Applin! Appreciate the information. Im hoping to see one close to the road while I drive up, I'm also thinking about stopping at gobblers knob and getting up onto the lookout and glassing down towards the pump station maybe.

I've seen 3 bulls IN Galbraith lake in July. 2 were absolutely huge in July.

Correction..... Grayling Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRecurveAssassin View Post
    hey everyone, I drew the Moose tag for the Dalton Highway Corridor south of slate creek, basically I have the corridor from Coldfoot and then south along the highway. I've never hunted the dalton for moose before and only ever driven it at night; so If anyone has any prods in the right direction or anything they can tell me about the hunt it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I sent you a PM as I drew this tag also.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

As long as you stay out of my spot, you can hunt wherever you want .
    Actually, I drew this hunt 2 years ago. I ended up seeing 6-7 bulls but brought nothing home. I talked to a guy who has hunted up there for several years and he said that it all depends on the weather. According to him, if it cools down early enough, the bulls will be pretty close to the road and very visible for stalking. If it stays warm, like it did 2 years ago, the bulls are harder to come by near the road. I saw one ~50" bull near the road but once I left the road, I ran into several more. As someone else said earlier, wait until a little later in the season. When I was up there in 2011, the bulls really started moving as soon as it frosted, which unfortunately wasn't until September 24. Hopefully this year will be a bit cooler.

Thanks Rilasp, good information to know for sure. I am planning on heading up the 7th and hunting through the 15th. I feel pretty confident about it.

I shot a little paddle horn in 920 last year not far from the road but it was just luck bumping into him. It is possible to just hunt the road. I've hunted 922 a couple times. Get away from the road if you can. If you're a lousy caller like me the big boys will come into about 60 yards and hang up. They seem to know the range of a recurve. Last years bull must have skipped that classroom session.