Thread: What is Canada charging to bring firearms across the border?

Default What is Canada charging to bring firearms across the border?

In the not so distance future, I plan on bringing my meager battery of firearms from the lesser 48 thru Canada & into Alaska. I'm mostly aware of those firearms that are disallowed, but am wondering what it cost others? I was under the impression it was $75 / firearm? I've been holding back on buying any firearms because of this fee. Or should I just get what I want down here & hope for the best crossing the border. I know this was somewhat recently discussed in the Handloader forum so forgive the repetitiveness. Sometimes I find the border agents are laid back & other times very "by-the-book". I think it just depends on the border, the agent, & their mood. I've often found that if you call ahead of time, they are a lot more willing to deal with you; as they are expecting you.

Your just passing through with guns, you are not importing them into Canada.

You fill out this
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/909.pdf
    And this
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/910-eng.pdf

Smile and pay about $25 depending on exchange rate for all the guns, itís not per gun. Then you have a 60 day visa/license for them. I always have no trouble with Canada, itís U.S. customs that always harasses me but others get say the opposite . . . I smile and make myself happy to comply with Canada laws and I fly right through there.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I don't know where you got the "$75 per firearm" but, just like ADFields said, Canada is pretty much a piece of cake and always friendly if not downright nice about it - A quick check on the internet or a call to Canadian Customs would have cleared it all up for ya .....

Thanks Gents, appreciate the info. Unannounced, I've had better luck with Canada than the US customs, but letting US customs know what you're doing has help a lot and would put them on par. Thanks again. Now I can go get whatever I want & not have to worry.

I have crossed into Canada more than 30 times on hunting trips and all went pretty well. Right after 911 the first few years there was more time spent than usual inspecting your firearms but it has relaxed a lot over the last few years. You can only list 3 guns per form, but I don't think there is a limit on the number of forms 1 person can fill out. I am not sure you can bring just anything you want to "pass thru" though on your way to Alaska. Better make a call and describe exactly what you would like to bring across to be clear and avoid problems...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Right, canít bring things like handguns, AK/AR but also the barrel and overall length laws are a little different.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Your just passing through with guns, you are not importing them into Canada.

You fill out this
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/909.pdf
    And this
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/910-eng.pdf

Smile and pay about $25 depending on exchange rate for all the guns, itís not per gun. Then you have a 60 day visa/license for them. I always have no trouble with Canada, itís U.S. customs that always harasses me but others get say the opposite . . . I smile and make myself happy to comply with Canada laws and I fly right through there.
    Things are changing, however I believe the rules are currently still the same:
    Visitors to Canada

If you are a visitor to Canada, and do not have a Canadian firearms licence and registration certificate, you are required to declare your firearms in writing.
    Visitors must declare all their firearms in writing. This can be done by filling out Form CAFC 909 Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and paying a CAN$25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, it has the same effect as a temporary licence and registration and is valid for up to 60 days.
    If you are importing restricted firearms, you need an authorization to transport (ATT). You can get an application for an ATT by calling the Canada Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000. Normally, if you are a visitor declaring your restricted firearms in writing, you should plan to come to the CBSA office between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. in order to apply for an ATT, as you will need a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration confirmation number to apply. If you are unable to come to the office during these hours, please make arrangements in advance by calling the Chief Firearms Officer of the province you will be visiting, as listed in Appendix A.
    For more information on declarations by visitors, please call the Canada Firearms Centre at 1-800-731-4000, or visit their Web site at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca.
    Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence and registration certificates for their firearms must show them to a border services officer.
    Visitors who hold a valid Canadian firearms licence but do not have registration certificates for their firearms must also complete Form CAFC 909, Non-Resident Firearm Declaration and pay a CAN$25 fee. Once confirmed by a border services officer, the declaration has the same effect as a temporary registration certificate for the firearms for up to 60 days.
    Visitors cannot, under any circumstances, import prohibited firearms.
    Visitors who want to leave firearms in Canada must pay duties and taxes and have the firearm registered in Canada. If the firearm is sold or otherwise transferred to a Canadian resident, the parties must meet all the legal requirements associated with transferring firearms.

Documentation - Visitors to Canada without a Canadian Firearms Licence

Type of Firearm Form CAFC909 + CAN$25 Authorization to Transport
    non-restricted required not required
    restricted required required
    prohibited importation prohibited
    source:http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...-eng.html#P018
    However the forms are no longer available at the above links. To obtain a form now, they ask you to do this:
    RCMP 5589 / CAFC 909

• Non-Resident Firearms Declaration
    • To obtain this form, please email cfp-pcaf@rcmp-grc.gc.ca or contact
      1-800-731-4000.
    But if you know how to search the web, you can find the form available on-line. Here's a pdf copy: Attachment 72875

It may smooth your U.S. reentry if you have completed this as well: http://forms.cbp.gov/pdf/CBP_Form_4457.pdf
    I have never completed it, and have been hassled at the U.S. border as a result.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Make sure you have the $25 in Canadian and not US currency. The Mounties at the boarder don't accept US currency; however, they will accept Visa or Mastercard.
    ďDon't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~