Thread: Gulkana rafter injury?

Default Gulkana rafter injury?

Supposed air evac of an injured 17yo?
    Did I miss that?

Details?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Another rescue pointing to the value of a sat phone. Rescue appears to have been delayed because the troopers didn't have info on the condition of the victim, or conditions on the ground. Bring a phone!

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

"They confirmed the distress signals but were unable to support the rescue because of the unknown terrain and medical condition of the victim."

That make no sense they never needed to know the terrain and medical condition in the passed.

If I turn on my 406 EPERB there not going to rescue me? WOW

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    "They confirmed the distress signals but were unable to support the rescue because of the unknown terrain and medical condition of the victim."

That make no sense they never needed to know the terrain and medical condition in the passed.

If I turn on my 406 EPERB there not going to rescue me? WOW

Yep. I don't think you're going to get anyone to say this publicly, but my guess is that with all the passive (non voice) communication devices that have flooded the market these last few years, combined with the corresponding false-alarm rate, a signal from a SPOT is probably going to put the rescue boys into research mode before going into rescue mode. No thanks. Give me two-way communications, where I know they heard me, I can describe the situation, and we can get the kind of assistance we need in a timely manner.

Satphone.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Folks want the luxury of rescue and assurance without the cost.

Side note and correct me if I'm wrong but aren't SPOT rescue/emergency messages channeled through a firm of sorts first, not directly to an emergency responding force?

I can understand the false-alarm problem. My 406 EPERB is registered with NOAA/SARSAT every two years and they have a contact number to determined if it a false-alarm. In this case that was not the problem according to the paper.

When I was involved in search & rescue I learned that an aircraft can be down for maintenance, not be able to fly because of weather or on another mission and that make sense.

If anyone carry an electronics device for emergency they need to realized you have to be prepared to save yourself or at least stay alive until you do get rescue.