Thread: How do You store POTATOES and ONIONS @ cabin for months

Default How do You store POTATOES and ONIONS @ cabin for months

How do you long term store a cabin environment for the winter ????
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

Chugiak, AK.

I usually store them in a gunny sack in the crawl space under the house. A cool dry area in a bag where they can breath is the best place for them. I don't think that under my house is the optimal place for them as it's probably not cool enough, but it works pretty good. My potatoes are usually gone by sometime in February, so I don't really know how well they would do anytime after that. I don't know about the onions but would assume that the same kind of environment would be the ticket for them as well.

As Ak said about the potatoes dry and cool in something that they can breath. One way to store onions is the get a old nylon stocking and start with the toe end and put one onion in it and put a knot in and then go with the second and so on. That way you just cut off one at a time as needed. Hang in a cool dry area.

I've heard not to store your onions and potatoes close together, as they give off gases that will make both spoil. Along with the cool & dry place, it should be dark as well, so they won't start sprouting as quickly. Great tip on the nylon stockings Big Bend.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Interior Alaska

If you have time and materials at your disposal, cut a trap door into the flooring, making it stout enough to not have to be wary of every-day traffic on it, should it be in the main area/walkway of your place. Dig a hole under it, perhaps 4-7 ft. deep, and as large in area as you think you'll want for a root cellar. Frame in around the area, between the under-side of the cabin and the top edge of the hole that will be your root cellar. Insulate the framed area between the hole and the beams/floor joists of your cabin. Line the bottom of the hole with larger gravel or smaller rocks for good drainage, and lay planking of an untreated, decently stout wood over the rock. If you want, you can also plank the walls of the area. If it's big enough in there for a small set of steps/stairs to get you down in there, it's even better. If you find it's contracting too much heat from the cabin, you can insulate the trap door a bit, too; it might be a balancing act to find the right amount of heat sharing between the cabin and the root cellar. Depending on the climate you're in, this is the best 'free' storage I've seen. A friend's place in the bush stays between 35 and 42 degrees all year round, providing no one sits with the trap door open for too long. His spuds look like he just dug them up, even when we're harvesting the next year's potatoes!! And if you want to, you can build shelves into the walls of the root cellar, as well. (I recommend a shovel, buckets, and a wheelbarrow for removing dirt from underneath the cabin, up through the trap door, and straight out the front door, to the nearest hole you wish to fill in your locale.)

^^^^^ Excellent advice. I've even seen this done outside for the winter. The hole is at least 6 feet deep, and seven to eight is better. After putting root products in burlap sacks and putting down the hole on top of the "decking" at the bottom, three foot of loosely piled hay is put on top, then a plank of bury grade insulfoam. A wooden cover is then fitted to the top. The ground is sloped from the top so that it drains away from the lined pit. It is, obviously, for longer term storage and not to be opened up more than once.