Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Pot Web/Netting

Default Shrimp Pot Web/Netting

Does anyone know where I can find Shrimp Pot Web/Netting that will meet the AK regs? I think a 7/8 dowel has to be able to pass through the web without forcing it.

donaldsons has some but be real careful with anything you find, nylon has a tendency to shrink once it gets wet so whats legal dry could get you a ticket after being fished a bit. If your in wa then LFS, Redden or Seattle Marine should have what your looking for

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

That's good info. I would not have thought about the nylon shrinking. Thank you.

Hi Steve,<BR>I see you build your ports out of wire mesh. I am wondering why the wire mesh and not the webbing?

Thats easy to answer...because they fish better !!(ok let the flaming begin !)hand over face.jpg

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Good answer. I have 4 of these pots http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50909 and they do not fish at all. I can take and set 4 of the above pots and one 37" Lander pot and the 37" pot will catch more then all for square ones. I am wondering if it's because of the tunnel design. I for the most part have given up on them.

Quote Originally Posted by RcNut View Post
    Good answer. I have 4 of these pots http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...classNum=50909 and they do not fish at all. I can take and set 4 of the above pots and one 37" Lander pot and the 37" pot will catch more then all for square ones. I am wondering if it's because of the tunnel design. I for the most part have given up on them.
    I've heard the same from some of my customers about those pots. I've also fished one of those ladners against my pots and in my experience the ladner didn't catch very well and i tried putting it on different spots on the line, i just couldn't get it to fish. In fact i built a wire pot to mimic the design of the ladner and that pot was a piece of junk also(in my eyes). OK now i'm going to hear from all the round pot guys on how good their pots fish. They all will catch shrimp just some pots will catch them way better/faster than others !!!
    By the way whats needed on your round pots ??? if your in my area maybe i can help ya ? I can mend up holes or tears.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I was just going to dump my square pots but maybe I will just make new tunnel for them and give them a try next year. The only thing my round pots need are shrimp in them. LOL.. I toying with the idea of building my own pots and just doing the research right now. I have also been working with Ladner on becoming a distributor for them but here in WA but the guy I have been working with just seems too busy or something. I also looked into building the wire mesh ones like you make but with having such bad fishing experience with them it just really just turned me off to that idea. As well as I am not really finding the wire mesh that I would like to use. But as full as your pots are maybe I should rethink that. We do not shrimp in WA only in Ketchikan Alaska. We have our boat in KTN and fly back and forth on the weekends to fish. My wife works for Alaska Airlines so it works out very well for us. Next weekend we are planning on setting the pots again. The last time we went we got 110 pounds of tails in 2 over night pulls, but we had 19 pots out, but really only 15 because the square ones really only caught maybe 30 shrimp total.

Quote Originally Posted by RcNut View Post
    I was just going to dump my square pots but maybe I will just make new tunnel for them and give them a try next year. The only thing my round pots need are shrimp in them. LOL.. I toying with the idea of building my own pots and just doing the research right now. I have also been working with Ladner on becoming a distributor for them but here in WA but the guy I have been working with just seems too busy or something. I also looked into building the wire mesh ones like you make but with having such bad fishing experience with them it just really just turned me off to that idea. As well as I am not really finding the wire mesh that I would like to use. But as full as your pots are maybe I should rethink that. We do not shrimp in WA only in Ketchikan Alaska. We have our boat in KTN and fly back and forth on the weekends to fish. My wife works for Alaska Airlines so it works out very well for us. Next weekend we are planning on setting the pots again. The last time we went we got 110 pounds of tails in 2 over night pulls, but we had 19 pots out, but really only 15 because the square ones really only caught maybe 30 shrimp total.
    I thought the pot limit down there was 10 ?? 110lbs and you want more ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

We can have 10 pots per person 20 per boat. We need to get some for my friend now that owns half of the pots. From the regs (Shrimp: In addition to crab pots, 10 shrimp pots per person with a maximum of 20 pots per vessel may be used. Shrimp pots may be longlined.) We made 3 x 65 mile round trips and 150 gals of fuel. I think I could have bought my shrimp for less. Next time we stay the night.

Couple things... I hope you are a resident. You are only allowed 3 quarts (or lbs) of shrimp if not.

As a nonres you can only have 10 pots PER VESSEL (5 per person 10 max)

Residents can have 10 per person 20 per vessel max

While I endorse the larger size mesh, I am 99.9% sure we don't have a minimum size. (in SEAK only, PWS and central have seasons and mesh restrictions)

On the pots themselves, I have some that were built by a guy in Poulsbo that are square hard mesh that absolutely outfish the the ladners I have. Not sure how to get my Ladners to fish as well.

I was born and raised in Ketchikan but now live in WA. When we go shrimping I always have a resident go with me for just that reason. Seems a little unfair to me that I lived in Alaska for 33 years but now have to buy a non res license, something I have to get over I guess or move back. I could not find a minimum mesh size stated anywhere in the regs. Any chance you could take a pic of one of your square pots and send it to me. I am just trying to figure out why the ones I have do not fish.

Lots of non-res coming up and "scamming" the rules like that. Those rules are in place for a reason.

I really want to use pots similar to Potbuilders for commercial shrimping in Oct. Probably I have is how the heck am I going to fit 140 of em on my boat! haha

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I really want to use pots similar to Potbuilders for commercial shrimping in Oct. Probably I have is how the heck am I going to fit 140 of em on my boat! haha
    That would be a problem for sure.

I didn't make the rules, I just have to follow them. I have plenty of friends that live there and they love it when I can take them out fishing. Not everyone has a boat or afford one.

Lots of non-res coming up and "scamming" the rules like that. Those rules are in place for a reason.
    I think it's called "rent-a-resident"....

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I think it's called "rent-a-resident"....
    I seen an add for that on Craigslist.

50 just about get lost on my little boat, i can go 7 high by 5 wide in one row, just gotta know how to stack'em. It wouldn't bother me to go 8 high on a nice day. 140 thats only 4 rows !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Hi Steve. I am looking to pull one of my not so good pots side off to replace the tunnels and was wondering where you get your J clips or hog rings from that you use on your pots. I can find some out there but they do not look to be stainless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast