Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Lightweight Bone Saw

Default Best Lightweight Bone Saw

Looking for suggestions on the ideal lightweight saw for removing ribs and skull cap from caribou. Was checking out the Gerber line and really like the looks of the EZ saw 2 with the T style handle for rib cutting but it looks like the flat part of the blade at the end that is intended to prevent puncturing the guts may get in the way when trying to skull cap. Anyone use one of these or have any other suggestions?
    Thanks

I have been using a very low cost folding saw for a while. I bought the thing at Cabelas and it does the job nicely. If I am heading out for Moose I pack my Sawz-All for the ribs! Saves lots of work and time and worth the effort. I will try to find my folding saw and look for its name but it is a cheep plastic handled saw and cost less than $15.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country
    Drop Camps and Float Hunts
    Unit 23-Kotz
    www.northwestalaska.net

Personally I've found this Gerber to be durable through many hunts! Still have the original blade after 3 years of hunting with it. Haven't tackled a moose with it yet but I think it'll get the job done!
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375895665.171237.jpg

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

I have used the Gerber more times than I can remember. After years of use I changed the blade but never had a problem otherwise.

I second the folding saw. I think Coghlins, Whatasaw, and Cabelas all hang their name on it. Has a meat and a bow saw blade (21" replaceable),weighs nothing, and slides in an unused corner of the pack. Used the first one over 20 yrs ago and still use it. Think I got mine at Longs or Freddy's.
    The only thing better is a sawzall if weight is an option!
    Rastus

Buy a small Stanley cross cut saw for about $10. Light, stiff, very sharp and will cut through bone like butter. From sheep to moose to goat its the perfect saw.

We have a discussion of this on our Field Care Tools page. I don't recommend a saw with a flat blade, because when you cut on the push stroke, the blade can bend or break. This has happened to me so many times with cheaper saws (like the Coghlan's brand) that I strted carrying spare blades, and eventually switched over to a better saw. That saw is the ARS GR-18L. Curved blade and it zips through bone like cardboard. Because the blade is curved, you are forced to cut on the pull stroke, so no more snapped blades. And it's wicked sharp. It has a bulge on the end of the handle, which keeps your blood and fat-covered hands from slipping off. Probably the best bone saw on the market.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    Buy a small Stanley cross cut saw for about $10. Light, stiff, very sharp and will cut through bone like butter. From sheep to moose to goat its the perfect saw.
    I completely agree with the Stanley saw I use the one that would be used as a miter saw they work perfect, when cutting the antlers off you will be sorry you are using the small saw with the t handle.

Dwight

I use a foot long piece of a metal cutting band saw blade. I grind down three inches and wrap duct tape on for the handle (and for duct tape) - grind it so that you are pulling and not pushing to make your cut. Works like a charm, cheap, light, fast cutting.

I have been useing he dandy saw. It's a band saw blade with a handle that really protects your hand. I have the 12 inch but would recommend the 18 inch. Good luck.

I have used this one for years and carry two bone blades and a wood blade. They make an 18" that I think would be better for moose antlers.

http://www.campmor.com/trailblazer-s...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

Quote Originally Posted by Antleridge View Post
    I have used this one for years and carry two bone blades and a wood blade. They make an 18" that I think would be better for moose antlers.

http://www.campmor.com/trailblazer-s...gpa=pla&ci_kw=
    Thats awesome, thanks for the link!

Thanks guys. I knew this was the place for some great suggestions. Appreciate it!

I've been toting around a Gerber exchange-a-blade, http://www.gerbergear.com/Outdoor/Ge...lade-Saw_46036, but I've only used it on a caribou and some whitetails, not a moose. I carry a lightweight fixed blade and DMT sharpener all in the case. Anything like this is going to take some work and time.

In lieu of that, or a saw-zall, how about one of these? http://www.stihlusa.com/products/cha...saws/ms192tce/

I have run the gerber exchange a blade for a few years, but can not find a blade for it anywhere and are backordered. I forget if its the wood or bone blade that i was looking for, but one of them was unavailable
    NRA life Member JVJ

Have been using the Wyoming Saw for twenty or so years. Wonderful, can use it for wood too. I tried all the lightweight saws years ago and just love the Wyoming because it is a real saw, never worried about the extra weight, was well worth it. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdb3 View Post
    Have been using the Wyoming Saw for twenty or so years. Wonderful, can use it for wood too. I tried all the lightweight saws years ago and just love the Wyoming because it is a real saw, never worried about the extra weight, was well worth it. Jim
    Me too. Love the Wyoming saw

Since we use our four wheelers to get to hunting area, I have a Dewalt cordless saw included in our gear. It sure make it easier to handle a moose. Caribou we load on the four wheelers and take back to camp whole.

I prefer the Wyoming saw. Those saws with just an unsupported blade can be a real PITA to use on ribs or sternums. The Wyoming gets it done and breaks down into a very compact package.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by Money Pit View Post
    And if you get a wood handled one, you can donate it to nature if you have to. Last resort of course.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast