Thread: Preseason Scouting

Default Preseason Scouting

How is it going for everyone? I've been out a couple times in the last week and I haven't seen a bird or hare, the dog sure is confused!

Same here, thought the dry summer would have been good for nesting. The late snow may have been an issue.

Today just one small Brown Bear, two adult spruce hens & about 9 chicks, about 15-20 Belugas & maybe 25 Harbor Seals, two Sandhill cranes & maybe 20 ducks. It was a short walk.

Are the Belugas covered under the predator regulations or big game?

Quote Originally Posted by Fergy View Post
    Same here, thought the dry summer would have been good for nesting. The late snow may have been an issue.
    INteresting thoughts, I hadn't considered the effects of the late spring on small game.

Well I sure thought of the spring conditions, and it's got me concerned. While the willow ptarmigan were breeding all along the Denali Highway, and of course everywhere else, there was some 2 to 6 feet of snow on the ground. So wha't a hen to do when looking for a place to build a nest? Certainly there are some scattrered areas without snow, but are there enough of them? Are they safe and suitable nesting areas?

And we had a nice warm spring and not much rain here in the interior, but it didn't green up until much later and that also means there weren't as many insects about until later in the spring. Chicks need the vegetation for food and cover, and insects are vital to their early survival and growth.

Waterfowl fanciers were extatic over the number of birds that arrived and stayed for a much longer period of time until heading north. Nice to watch but when you think of this, really think about it, what does this mean in terms of late nesting in the arctic and young birds that might not be ready to fly south when they need to?

I don't think the jury will be in on this until the fall hunting season is over. But wildlife is resilient and thankfully man (Govt) had no control over this natural phenomenon.

Jim

Some observations from recent wanderings in the interior... I had to retire my 13yr old Drahthaar this year. My new one is only going to be 4months old at the end of Aug.... While I would like to get him on some birds this Fall, he is going to be a bit young.

Hen Ruffie spotted with four young, 2/3 adult size and flying... Hen Spruce with nine young 2/3 adult size and flying. Hen Sharpie with eight young 3/4 size and flying. (on the Tanana Flats South of Fairbanks) this is within the last ten days, North and South of Fairbanks...Berries are in very good abundance. Grasshoppers are also in abundance. Been very dry... Have not spent much time in Ptarmigan country, so can't report...

Canoeing in the interior...many geese with 1/2 size young not flying...many ducks with very small size young for Aug. The late Spring may be a factor in the waterfowl numbers if we have an early cold Fall...

Thanks for the reports, always interesting to know what others are seeing. I worked the dog in a spot I can usually find one or two spruce hens in today and did see or hear a single one.

Berries seemed to be doing better down this way this year than the last couple, we also noticed a ton of grass hoppers and I don't recall EVER seeing one around here in the past.