Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "WHAT IF" your trophy Brown Bear is on Private property......REALLY ???

Default "WHAT IF" your trophy Brown Bear is on Private property......REALLY ???

What if you harvest a nice trophy of any type, but I am thinking of the Kenai Registration Brown Bear season in a few weeks. Does the property owner have any right to make you haul the guts away, or the whole skinned carcass of a 9'-8" brown bear.

I am assuming the hunter did not realize or in the rush of the moment was not thinking this might be private property. I ask because I have a fair amount of bears (Black & Brown) on my property, and I have this vision of someone leaving a carcass to rot, or a gut pile.

NOTE: I am in favor of this registration hunt, so that is NOT the issue.

I could see how someone floating down the Kenai River with all the licenses' & Registration Permits could tip-over a monster brown bear, be skinning it out, and the property owner comes home from a hard day at work, and Say's, "What in the Sam-Hill are you doing".....??? and are you planning to leave all that carcass there, I have enough bear problems"................."And you just shot "BOB the Bear" my children are going to freak".

IMHO proivate property is just that PRIVATE.
    Just because you see a legal game animal does not give you the right to harvest it if it is on private property.
    I believe the property owner does have the right to make the hunter properly dispose of the guts. they also have the right to charge the hunter with criminal trespass for hunting their land without permission.
    If the hunter does not remove the guts theland owner should also be allowed to remove the guts themselves and charge the tresspassers for the removal costs including labor.
    When I was a kid we had some fellows ask to hunt on my dads farm. knowing them to be a fan of drinking and hunting(and the fact we hunted there ourselves) my dad said NO.
    Well what do you know they go anyway and while shooting at some deer they put a bullet through the neighbors house.Luckily no one was hurt or killed. My dad knew these guys were bad news and said no.
    If you see a legal game animal on private peoperty and want to harvest it you are obligated to ask permission first and shoot later.
    Otherwise whats the use in buying private land?
    This also gives the land owner the right to pick and choose who hunts there or not. The guy who shows up drunk and asks might get one response. Where as the polite gentleman who offers something in return or is just generally a very nice polite person would get another.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    IMHO proivate property is just that PRIVATE.
    Just because you see a legal game animal does not give you the right to harvest it if it is on private property.
    I believe the property owner does have the right to make the hunter properly dispose of the guts. they also have the right to charge the hunter with criminal trespass for hunting their land without permission.
    If the hunter does not remove the guts theland owner should also be allowed to remove the guts themselves and charge the tresspassers for the removal costs including labor.
    When I was a kid we had some fellows ask to hunt on my dads farm. knowing them to be a fan of drinking and hunting(and the fact we hunted there ourselves) my dad said NO.
    Well what do you know they go anyway and while shooting at some deer they put a bullet through the neighbors house.Luckily no one was hurt or killed. My dad knew these guys were bad news and said no.
    If you see a legal game animal on private peoperty and want to harvest it you are obligated to ask permission first and shoot later.
    Otherwise whats the use in buying private land?
    I agree with this....ask first, shoot later.
    "Grin and Bear It"

I am thinking of a accidentally harvesting on private property, NOT willfully.........

This is a similar situation as what I have encountered in the Fairbanks area archery hunt. Lots of private property. As the hunter, I would first do everything possible to ask first (you could still run into a problem with archery hunting where the animal travels from a public or permissible hunting area to someone's private property after you shoot it and it dies there). I would never take a shot on someone's property without asking them first. If they were not available, I would not shoot. If I did happen to have an animal die on someone else's property, they would not even need to ask to move the gut pile, that would be an automatic thing for me. I would just be thankful they gave me permission to go on their property to retrieve the animal (which they are not legally required to do).

Well, if you don't want an accident, maybe post your property? I think the hunter should remove the carcass if the landowner asks them to.
    "Grin and Bear It"

YES, but I can understand that someone driving down the Hope Road might see a monster Brown Bear cross the road, pull over and clear the right of way........Bang, and then notice heavy equipment parked there. It could happen, I understand.........that said, I don't need a rotting carcass in the lower yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    I agree with this....ask first, shoot later.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I don't need a rotting carcass in the lower yard.
    Posting you property, especially right around your place, would be the thing I would do.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Well, reverse the rolls. Would you like guts and a carcass left on your property? I sure wouldn't.

wouldnt bother me too much, if it was a moose i would just ask for a backstrap for payment

I can tell you from first hand experience that people do NOT see, or pay ANY attention to signs.......ZERO. I have signs that say, "If you can read this, YOUR in Range". There are many signs on both sides of the drive, and still I encounter people who say, "Sorry, DUDE we thought this was a logging road, like hey man you seen a bears, we are bear hunting for Black Bears"........???????????

Quote Originally Posted by Tearbear View Post
    Posting you property, especially right around your place, would be the thing I would do.

[well if you have heavy equipment help guy put then or dig a hole...QUOTE=AGL4now;1312546]YES, but I can understand that someone driving down the Hope Road might see a monster Brown Bear cross the road, pull over and clear the right of way........Bang, and then notice heavy equipment parked there. It could happen, I understand.........that said, I don't need a rotting carcass in the lower yard.[/QUOTE]
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Should I bill him by the hour for the equipment.........??? Should I hold his, Brown Bear hide till he pays the money.......???

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    [well if you have heavy equipment help guy put then or dig a hole...QUOTE=AGL4now;1312546]YES, but I can understand that someone driving down the Hope Road might see a monster Brown Bear cross the road, pull over and clear the right of way........Bang, and then notice heavy equipment parked there. It could happen, I understand.........that said, I don't need a rotting carcass in the lower yard.
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Should I bill him by the hour for the equipment.........??? Should I hold his, Brown Bear hide till he pays the money.......???

[/QUOTE]

Just saying if you don't want it on your property and he did instead on being on your land. Being helpful can go a long way. But be rude and nasty could be ugly for you in the end. See I grew up ranch in Montana were it was better to help some who ended on your land than be nasty... They cut down fences and. Mess with equipment.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Let ME tell you, I am very OLD, and very poor, and if someone wants to be Pizzy with me on my property they are leaving in a body bag.......and If I go the prison, it will mean better food for me than I can afford now. Don't screw with old, poor men..............period, they got nothing to loose........and I am drop'dead serious about that advise.

Just saying if you don't want it on your property and he did instead on being on your land. Being helpful can go a long way. But be rude and nasty could be ugly for you in the end. See I grew up ranch in Montana were it was better to help some who ended on your land than be nasty... They cut down fences and. Mess with equipment.[/QUOTE]

AGL's points are well taken but there is another scenario, namely the game animal is legally shot on public land and expires on private land.

I smell a proposal in the offing here. Something to the effect of:

In the event an animal is taken, or ultimately expires, on private property every reasonable effort should be made to remove the animal intact from the private property prior to field processing, or in the event that is not practicable, to notify the landowner as soon as possible. If an animal must be processed on private property hunters must make every reasonable effort to minimize the disturbance to the landowner.

After the salvage requirements are met, hunters are responsible for removing the remaining "evidence of kill" to a place of disposal no less than 1/4 mile from any private holding. For the purposes of this section "evidence of kill" is defined as all remains including but not limited to: carcass, skelletal remains & bones, hoofs/feet, heads, skin, guts, organs & viscera, trimmed fat, clumps of hair, stomach or intestinal contents, and any large pools of blood. This requirement may be waived in all or part with the written consent of the landowner or his agent.

Evidence of kill may not be disposed of in any body of fresh water or in salt water above the mean low tide mark or within 3 miles of any known town.
    Hunters may be financially liable for damage to private property resulting from the taking of the animal in question.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

Cut it up while fresh, pack out the parts, the guts of big bears aint much of a ppile, they don't have big grass bags inside like Moose and such.

Boil it, eat it.................make mean old Man smile
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Talking

I am NOT mean..........ornery maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    .................make mean old Man smile

If you have it posted., Call the troopers and have them trespassed.

It's that easy. Private is private.

sent from my igloo

I can't cite any statute number, but I believe Alaska has a right to retrieval law, where an animal shot on public land may be pursued/recovered on private land.
    Nonetheless, the private property laws here suck. The regs state that you are responsible for knowing the ownership of the land you are hunting, but as a land owner you are charged with posting your land, which to comply with the definition of "posted" is something akin to three signs to the mile along the entire perimeter of your property, covering all possible access and egress. Pretty impossible really, and all any poacher need claim is that they didn't see any signs.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast