Thread: Big Su/Deshka water levels

Default Big Su/Deshka water levels

Thinking about heading out to the Deshka in the next few days, but concerned about water levels w/ my prop. I've run it in the spring (fishing for kings), but have not gone out there for silvers. I heard the Deshka was very low last week, but not sure how water levelsmight have changed with the bit of rain we got lately. I don't plan to try running up past the lower Deshka mouth. Any reports? Runnable from Deshka Landing w/o serious concern?
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Thinking about heading out to the Deshka in the next few days, but concerned about water levels w/ my prop. I've run it in the spring (fishing for kings), but have not gone out there for silvers. I heard the Deshka was very low last week, but not sure how water levelsmight have changed with the bit of rain we got lately. I don't plan to try running up past the lower Deshka mouth. Any reports? Runnable from Deshka Landing w/o serious concern?
    As long as you are staying around the mouth of the Deshka no problem. Water is up right now but dropping again. Ran with my double prop freight boat yesterday from Alexander and not a problem. FISH ON!

you can get there no problem with a prop and not only that, but you can usually get up stream a mile or so (Deshka). The only place to pay attention to is the stretch right before you make that right hand turn.

Do it to it. I run that river with a prop most of the fishing season. Stay in the channel and you shouldnt have a problem.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

The deshka water level was 1.9. I called the launch today and he told me that they got rain last night and this morning, and calling for rain the next couple days. He said that u before the rain u can't make it very far up the deshka even with a jet. The big su on the other hand is normal height at about halfway up the converts which will be no problem for a pro to get to the mouth of the deshka. As far as fishing the water temp was 62 degrees yesterday morning so I'm hoping this rain will cool it down and make the fish more active. I will be there Monday morning when I get home from the slope. I've got a 16 foot teal boat with a 70 Johnson. If u see me stop by and say hi. Good luck!

went in there today. Lots of fish rolling jumping swimming etc. Fished for hours but only took 4 for the boat of 3 people. The water temps ranged from 58-61 according to my depth finder. We ran to the mouth with a prop no problem. Hopefully the rain/clouds will make the fish bite better. It stunk today.

In my experiences on the river, once the water temp reaches 56 degrees, the bite completely shuts off. It will not turn back on until it comes down to atleast 54 degrees. With all this warm weather we been havin and the low water that river temp is stayin plenty warm which is not good for the fisherman but plenty good for the fish. Good luck ya'll... "fishon"
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

We fished the mouth yesterday (thursday) mid day for several hours. 3 of us on the boat, mostly casting spoons and spinners, one guy caught 3, and that was it for the boat. Another boat there we talked with at the gas stateion in Wasillie, he had limits in 45 min for 3 days in a row for the 2 of them. we fished next to them, using the same pixi spinners, and they limited in a couple hours before we caught our first fish. makes me wonder what we were doing wrong. Bud
    Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    We fished the mouth yesterday (thursday) mid day for several hours. 3 of us on the boat, mostly casting spoons and spinners, one guy caught 3, and that was it for the boat. Another boat there we talked with at the gas stateion in Wasillie, he had limits in 45 min for 3 days in a row for the 2 of them. we fished next to them, using the same pixi spinners, and they limited in a couple hours before we caught our first fish. makes me wonder what we were doing wrong. Bud
    location location location. Just because your boat is next to theirs in the water doesn't mean your lure was any where close to where their's was in the water. Also keep in mind retrieve speeds may very greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by akblackdawg View Post
    Well there were fish every where. Its hard to imagine that the spot you were in made a difference but I can tell you we had tons of little bumps and if you didn't set the hook you werent getting the fish. It felt like they were just pecking at it. Ive seen that behavior before at the deshka. Like myself and others have said I think the water temps are playing a big role in how well the fish are biting.

Akblackdawg we seen you fishing at the mouth when we left.we were in the alumitec airboat. Limited out in a few hours.The kids were hammering them .They hooked them on vibrax,

Any new updates?
    Grab a friend, a rifle and go hunt.

Anything new? Might try it out monday or tuesday
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Looks like they had a mass of fish pass the weir in one day and now its back to low numbers. I wonder if they are late getting in there or are stewing around near the mouth? Might be worth a shot.

Went to the Deshka Sunday didnt get a fish didnt see a fish caught went up river 4 miles and nothing
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association