Thread: Fishing with a head lamp?

Default Fishing with a head lamp?

I use a head lamp all the time while fishing at night for obvious reasons. It helps me not to trip and fall in the water and also see what I am doing. Somebody told me that it was illegal. I can't find it in a brief search of the regs. Can anyone help me out with this? Not really sure why wearing a light on my head would be illegal while fishing. It struck me as odd but want to make sure Im not doing something Im not supposed to.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    I use a head lamp all the time while fishing at night for obvious reasons. It helps me not to trip and fall in the water and also see what I am doing. Somebody told me that it was illegal. I can't find it in a brief search of the regs. Can anyone help me out with this? Not really sure why wearing a light on my head would be illegal while fishing. It struck me as odd but want to make sure Im not doing something Im not supposed to.
    Did he tell you face to face? What time was it?
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

me personally I would use it either way you are not using it for any purpose than safety and the use of a good brain lol! I do know there is regs on light as attractants but in your case as mine many times its just a life line not a fishing aid. ok I guess its a fishing aid in the fact it keeps you from braking ankles, hooking yourself, taking a warning shot at a porcupine walking by because its so dark you cant tell if its a bear. all in all RUN IT I think you have plenty of ground to stand on. keep night fishing it can be a blast my friend.

I've yet to see a headlamp bright enough to be used as an attractant, anyway. At best, you can kind of see enough in front of you to get by and tie a knot here and there. There would be a LOT of people fishing illegally up here, too. Headlamps dot the banks of the Kenai and Russian.....

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    Did he tell you face to face? What time was it?
    Yeah I was catching fish and he wasnt it was around 0200. Maybe thats why? I asked him how the hell Im am I supposed to walk around in the dark without falling down then? I see people wading the streams without them sometimes and I wonder why wouldnt they just use a light.

Ive never heard of a light attracting salmon. Is that true? Ive only seen a few fish close to me while wearing it but they seem to run away from me if they can see me not come towards my headlamp.

is this the same as going moose hunting realy early an you use a light to go to the spot you are going glass , the flash light you use to aid you walking in the woods how would you look at that , or ICE fish at night in a ice house , ??? just a question ??????
    we are getting way off the track BUT where do you draw the line , SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    is this the same as going moose hunting realy early an you use a light to go to the spot you are going glass , the flash light you use to aid you walking in the woods how would you look at that , or ICE fish at night in a ice house , ??? just a question ??????
    we are getting way off the track BUT where do you draw the line , SID
    Yeah I could understand not being able to stand down there with a million candle power spot light blasting into the water. Its about a 40 lumens head lamp. The brightest I can find (because Im pretty clumsy) but still way less dim than a regular mid-dollar flashlight. I have one of those mini-stream lights that puts it to shame but its not hands free.

Most of us could probably write a large book just containing all the inaccurate or downright imaginary EOs, laws, and regs others tell us we're in violation of. Case in point, I had a guy on Campbell the other day swear up and down that he'd just come from F&G and that they had closed the creek to bait by EO. Some men just want to watch the world burn, I guess...