Thread: technology is flippin awesome

Default technology is flippin awesome

So I found out today I am a dinosaur and I aint even that old Doing final prep today for my walkin hunt and and decided to get some GPS #'s for some areas I want to check out.. Well my old way was to write them down and put them in my magellan color trac gps.. Well since I just picked up my new gps I tried a few things differently.. I drew me some routes on google earth and (dont ask how cause I dont really know yet..lol) saved them then I opened them in garmin basemap connected the gps and boom there they were waypoints and all the tracs I drew.. The other nice benefit is its all on my home laptop including all my possible route which is a great safety feature(think flight plan)... I almost cant wait to really learn how to use this stuff...

I still use the old GPS I was trained on,ground pounding scouting
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I still use the old GPS I was trained on,ground pounding scouting

Will I dont think anything will ever replace ole ground pounding or for that matter good old fashioned hunting...

I picked up the Garmin Basecamp program and did the same thing. Built my routes with waypoints set for camp sites, marked out water sources, possible vantage points for glassing, etc. It's pretty awesome having all that outlined and prepped. It's a good way to have a solid starting point for going in.

I'll stop by tp visit and sneak a look at your computer!!!!!!!!!!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'll stop by tp visit and sneak a look at your computer!!!!!!!!!!!

Nah you dont want the computer you want the old GPS that where all the good stuff in from camps to mountain strips to spots on the pwninsula..

LOL...I'm a real old dinosaur, I've never packed an GPS sheep hunting or even own one!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Nah you dont want the computer you want the old GPS that where all the good stuff in from camps to mountain strips to spots on the pwninsula..
    Ha.....that's funny as I just got done pm'ing some coordinates to a sheep hunter that I plugged into my old "Eagle Expedition" (made by Lowrance) while flying over some rams back in 2000' here on the Kenai......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    LOL...I'm a real old dinosaur, I've never packed an GPS sheep hunting or even own one!
    I never had one for a long time either. But I have to say that they are nice for getting bearings. I usually just always had the thing turned off until I needed a bearing and then would turn it off again and just use my compass. Pretty nice when you're trying to get back to camp in the pitch black with a brown bear hide on your back.....lol.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    for a long time mine was never really turned mine on I always kept in in the bottom of my pack incase of emergencies.. You never know when the plane might not come back and it was nice to know where camp was or other things.. I am really likin this new gps with the topos.. I am even taking extra batteries so I can really mess with it in the mountains..

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    for a long time mine was never really turned mine on I always kept in in the bottom of my pack incase of emergencies.. You never know when the plane might not come back and it was nice to know where camp was or other things.. I am really likin this new gps with the topos.. I am even taking extra batteries so I can really mess with it in the mountains..
    Don't bother with anything other than lithium, they will last WAY longer than anything else in your gps, especially if it gets cold.