Thread: Arrow Tooth Arrow Tooth Go Away!!!!

Unhappy Arrow Tooth Arrow Tooth Go Away!!!!

I have been fishing in Seward for a few years now and have never had this type of problem before. I got my butt completely beat up this weekend and finally got out of the bay for some white fish on Monday. Went toward driftwood bay and hit a few of my chicken holes over there. Lines went over the the boat once they hit the bottom we had fish on, four of them to be exact. I started to think it would be an early day. As the fish started to come up i noticed every single one of them were arrowtooth flounder. I have never had this problem before outside of the bay, and forty five Arrowtooth and zero (thats right Zero) Halibut were caught during my twelve hour getting beat up fishing adventure. When i have gotten into arrowtooth before, it usually is about two of them per one halibut. This seriously leads me to wonder a few things.

1. Is anybody else having this problem?

2. Have we over harvested halibut so much the arrowtooth are multiplying.

3. Is everyone killing them when they get on the boat and throwing them back?

Any info on these worthless fish would be greatly appreciated. I have never worked that hard for zero fish in my life. thanks again.

jojo

Cut them into strips, skin on, and use them for halibut bait.

Yeah, fish move around......I would have left for a different place that has "cleaner" halibut. Sometimes going just a couple hundred yards to some place deeper or shallower makes a huge difference. I know it sounds crazy, but it is true. I have caught great halibut out in front of Fault Point one day, and catch nothing but skates, dogfish, and arrows, then next. I have even caught nothing........They are decent bait for sure, but I have found that leaving is the best bet.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

We didnt run into any arrow tooth at all on either of our last two trips east of the bay. Kinda weird, because we usually run into at least a couple, but nothing but halibut, and two p cod.

I thought it was really weird when we got one this spring in 90' of water, because I don't expect to seem them less than about 50 fathoms. Yesterday we got one in 78'.

We pulled a crap load of arrow tooth south of latouch. Frustrating for sure, especially when your getting your butt kicked by the tide and swift current. We did use a couple for bait and it worked great. We did eventually get our limit in about three hours...
    Ignorance is not Bliss, it's insanity

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

what burdman said strip for bait!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

I had the same problem last year going left out of the bay. Went right this year and so far I have only caught one of the Little Bastar$s!

My last two trips out of Seward I caught a bunch of Arrowtooth. The very last trip we caught zero halibut.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

The arrowtooth have kicked my butt this year near cape junken. I get some halibut between then from time to time between them but **** they are annoying. When the halibut bite is great the arrowtooth seem to be nonexistent. I hope the weather holds off this weekend!

We were in Ketchikan for two weeks. Had very good halibut fishing, but there were several days when we could not get away from the arrowtooths ... the strange thing (to me at least) is that arrowtooth flounder fillets sell for $6.99 to $8.99 a pound at my local grocery stores in the Dallas, TX area (Albertsons, Krogers, Tom Thumb). maybe I should be keeping these on my next trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    We were in Ketchikan for two weeks. Had very good halibut fishing, but there were several days when we could not get away from the arrowtooths ... the strange thing (to me at least) is that arrowtooth flounder fillets sell for $6.99 to $8.99 a pound at my local grocery stores in the Dallas, TX area (Albertsons, Krogers, Tom Thumb). maybe I should be keeping these on my next trip?
    Are you sure it is arrow tooth flounder? I here there is an enzime or something in the meat that when you cook it, it turns to mush. I have no idea if this is true or not but have always wondered. I have also heard they have tried numerous methods to find away to make them valuable. Cat Food, Shrimp Pellets, Livestock to no avail.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Are you sure it is arrow tooth flounder? I here there is an enzime or something in the meat that when you cook it, it turns to mush. I have no idea if this is true or not but have always wondered. I have also heard they have tried numerous methods to find away to make them valuable. Cat Food, Shrimp Pellets, Livestock to no avail.
    Yep it's true. I've tried everything I can think of to make Arrow Tooth flounder edible. It turns to mush, and while it's not terrible to eat, there's no point given so many other tasty things out there.

Juneau area has had some real hot spots for arrowtooth this year, were usually still some halibut but you had to tolerate the tooths until the butts came by, get limit, go home. Moving around and avoiding those areas has helped my enjoyment, and lowered my jig loss rate (donated 4 jigs one morning).

Not to mention the cut knuckles from careless releasing.....but that's my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by jojomoose View Post
    Well, I don't know with absolute certainty, but the packages in the store are marked 'arrowtooth flounder' when I see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek the Greek View Post
    Well, I don't know with absolute certainty, but the packages in the store are marked 'arrowtooth flounder' when I see them.
    I sure as hell wouldn't eat it. Check the label and you'll likely find it is from China. This is an informative (if not boring) read about how they managed to turn arrowtooth into a marketable food-like item: http://spo.nmfs.noaa.gov/mfr553/mfr5533.pdf

Note the chemical baths of NaN3 (Sodium Azide) which is a major poison, trichloroacetic acid which is used to remove tattoos, and Sodium Triphosphate which is a water softener used in poor quality seafood to force the seafood to swell up with water and appear to be higher quality.

Lipstick, meet pig...