Thread: Sitka Hunting Clothing - Opinions

Default Sitka Hunting Clothing - Opinions

I've been looking at getting some of the Sitka line of hunting gear line, and was curious if anyone had any or had any experience with their products?

I have a number of Sitka gear items. Excellent fit, quality, and comfort. Only downside is cost. Watch Camofire.com for great sales. I also love Core4Element as they are equal in all ways except cost :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

The few pieces I have all have performed great for me. Like Roger45 said, my only issue is the price point. I think equal quality can be had for less. I have lucked out and obtained all my Sitka stuff via various sales. I'm not sure I'd pay full price for it, ever. I know "thicker" people have issues with the fit sometimes, but it works for me.
    Ryan

The only problems I see with mine are the inner stiching irritates my arms and wish for the price they were all waterproof across the board. BTW I have the 90% jacket and pants, also the flash 20 day pack which is awesome for short trips.

I feel like KUIU gear is just as good if not better for a lower price due to the fact that they only sell direct to consumer.

You can do just as good with other clothing which has been mentioned here and spend less money.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Default It's not hard to spend a thousand dollars on clothing ...

Several good discussions of Sitka Gear and Kuiu on these forums, including: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Gear-Clothing, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-KUIU-Question. Informative discussion about the split when Jason Hairston left Sitka to form Kuiu while Sitka Gear got married to Gore Products in this thread: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...t-Hunting-Gear, AND then there's been some discussion too about Kryptek... for those who love camo. Focusing on performance, Kuiu in my mind has the high-performance niche nailed down, while SG has a more high-performance-for-the-masses niche down good. I think reviews have been pretty consistently good with Kuiu, while reviews of Sitka Gear, which weren't universally happy in the early years, have improved year-by-year. I like Kuiu too, but also have a Sitka 90% Lite jacket from 2005 which I still also love and wear every year. Lucky maybe, but my performance criteria are well within "average". For some, with size/fit issues, or who subject gear to more wear and tear, the size and inventory of the company might matter more and if anyone considers buying several items of gear from either company, the dollars can add up quick. I think both companies have excellent customer service, but Kuiu, while maybe making technically superior gear, is also a smaller company, with lower inventories and therefore less able to respond to especially late season order problems like size or defect issues. Given Kuiu's business model, this difference seems like it will continue. Being responsive to technical advances in performance fabrics is Kuiu's strength - just order early. I liked my Kuiu rain gear from the beginning and it continues to perform well. But I also look for Sitka in end-of-season sales, because... that thin edge of technology doesn't change so much from year to year. Not so far anyway. Whatever you do, I think it's hard to go wrong with these two brands. Good luck.

I just bought the new Sitka packable rain jacket. Awesome. I've had the 90% for years, pants and jacket, work excellent. I can't compare to Kuiu but like the Sitka gear that I have. There's a lot of good stuff out there for less money but the articulation, patterns, fit make a big difference when you're walking around. For a tree stand, doesn't make much difference. Good gear uses funky shaped patterns and more pieces of fabric to make a garment. With funky patterns there's more scrap on the ridiculously priced gore tex fabric (way higher cost) and more pieces of fabric = more sewing and seam taping (way higher cost). I wish more of these companies would go to eVent or other reasonably priced fabric.

Very few people in Sitka wear it.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

That's funny and true!!

Premium Member

I probably would like it, if they ever provided XXL or a 42" waist. Kuiu is just as bad in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Very few people in Sitka wear it.
    Now that's funny!

Good enough for comrade Putin good enough for me!

Both from comi countries
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I am surprised no one is talking about Core4Element...same stuff, 1/2 the price. Love it.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I hear rumors Browning is coming out with a new set of high end clothing to rival Sitka and some of the others. There new catalog is usually out mid to end of October.

Nice thing about Browning apparel is it is usually "fat guy friendly"