Thread: Nfb and hydraulic steering

Question Nfb and hydraulic steering

Dose anyone out there have any experience with hydraulic or nfb mechanical steering on outboards. I am doing some research and any feedback I could get would be great.

What size motor are you running? 150 is kind of the break point between the two, it gets to be a lot of motor for the mechanical steering. If you are running a jet, not as big a deal, but with a prop over 150 hydraulic is very nice to have. Teleflex make two types of hydraulic steering, Baystar- up to 150hp and SeaStar up to 350hp in single motors. NFB systems have a brake in them to eliminate the feed back, so you also have to overcome that brake to turn, so if you have the money, they hydraulic is a nice way to go.
    Casey
    Yamaha Dealer
    Petersburg, AK

Going to be running a 90 or 115 for stroke jet with a tunnel hull with a six foot bottom. We have to run some winding rivers and I would just like to make it as easy as possible to steer so the wife won't have a problem driving the boat.

I have the NFB system on my boat, turning a 115 hp 4 stroke.
    It is so much better than the original non-NFB system that was on the boat from the manufacturer.
    It works really well at counter acting engine torque when trolling. With the original system I had to constantly correct my course while setting downriggers. Not any more, I just point the boat where I want to go and set lines without having to worry about the corrections.

The hydraulic helms are very nice as well. But quite a bit more money.
    Make sure you look @ the lock to lock number of turns for which ever system you decide on. Less is better here, especially in your case with running twisty rivers.
    The NFB rotary helm on my boat is 3 turns lock to lock.
    The baystar hydraulic helms are 5 and the seastar are 4.25.
    So the NFB rotary would be more responsive than either of the hydraulic units. Just something else to think about.

They do make a helm for jet boats ut it looks like it's made for Sportjets and Turbo Jets, but it might be worth a call to the manufacturer to see if it will work on OB jets or not. It comes in 1/2 and 3/4 turn lock to lock, so very responsive.

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/prod...ng/jet-boat-2/

Thanks for the input I will look in to it. The sky is the limit on the amount of money you can spend on upgrades for a boat, but I think I would gladly spen the money if I could get it to drive like a car using my finger tips. That would requir power steering I think, but hey why not if I could make it happen especially for those long trips.