Thread: Skin my goat

Default Skin my goat

How do you skin your goat? Should I get real lucky - I would probably have to do a shoulder mount of that 'better an a foot' billy !!

Skin em out from the top like any other horned critter is my first though - cut right up the middle on the top of the back - keep enough half way back so that I don't short my taxi on fur.

If you do a full size - do you go from the belly - depending on stance desired?

What do you do with the back half on a goat if you do a shoulder mount? Tan and keep it - or throw it to the griz?

Never skinned a goat before so I don't have advice on that one. Best advice I would have though is to have your taxidermist already selected and ask him/her how they would want it skinned and treated. Some want it salted some don't, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    How do you skin your goat? Should I get real lucky - I would probably have to do a shoulder mount of that 'better an a foot' billy !!

Skin em out from the top like any other horned critter is my first though - cut right up the middle on the top of the back - keep enough half way back so that I don't short my taxi on fur.

If you do a full size - do you go from the belly - depending on stance desired?

What do you do with the back half on a goat if you do a shoulder mount? Tan and keep it - or throw it to the griz?
    My last goat I was going the full body route and opted(after talking to my taxi) to flat skin it like a bear instead of a dorsil cut.. Should I be lucky enough to harvest a sheep I will be doing a dorsil cut.Shoulder mount you should skin as you described go up the back and a wye to the horns, I never save the back half of the hide but I would imagine you could fing plenty of uses

Of course the horns are "nice" but the real trophy, especially from a late season goat, is the hide. If I'm lucky this year I will be doing a full rug......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Of course the horns are "nice" but the real trophy, especially from a late season goat, is the hide. If I'm lucky this year I will be doing a full rug......

Have to agree with you there... Late goats have some amazing hides... Just dont keep them in a contractor trash bag when you are moving then put it on the garage floor near the trash cause it might end up at the dump...dont ask me how I know..

Care for the hide as you would the meat, in a game bag, keep it cool, and get it processed as soon as possible.
    "Grin and Bear It"

Urg - full size rug - After my blackie and my Griz I am running out of room and taxidermy funds.....My 7' blackie was 875, my griz 1450 - 7 foot also, how much for a goat? And where to put it....

how much for a goat? ..
    Priceless

Ya - that is what I am fear'd of! Couldn't fathom that a Griz was 'that' much more to rug than the same size blackie. Supply and demand most likely. We are going Sept 3-10 - so not late season. I am not expecting great hide on the white critters....any input on that one for that timeframe??? We are bow hunting - so I am going to have to get real lucky - or real good for this trip!

Ya - that is what I am fear'd of! Couldn't fathom that a Griz was 'that' much more to rug than the same size blackie. Supply and demand most likely. We are going Sept 3-10 - so not late season. I am not expecting great hide on the white critters....any input on that one for that timeframe??? We are bow hunting - so I am going to have to get real lucky - or real good for this trip!
    Goats are goats at that time....a nice, and what most would think a "full" hide. But, when it gets into middle of Oct. and first part of Nov. they are entirely different critters when it comes to this. A taxidermist friend of mine had been trying for years to kill a Nov. goat so he could do a prized life sized mount. He would tell me over and over again.....you won't believe the difference in the hides. I would just say......ya, ya, I've heard it before. But then I had a chance to go on a Nov. goat hunt with him. And until I put the spotting scope on one I really had NO idea. All I can say is......cotton balls with legs...!!!

That's why I will try again this year to go the last week of Sept. first part of Oct. Unless we get some unseasonably nice weather, where I might try to go the last week of the season. But here again, you always take the chance of getting snowed out......

Default Mt Goat

If you are looking to do a shoulder mount "only" you can cut 6-8" behind the front leg, I cut in the middle as 1 foot of hide is better than 1" short..,

Anyway cut all the way around the goats belly behind the shoulder .. then cut all the way around the elbows.. Make a cut from your elbow ring up the back of the leg to the armpit or you can tube the leg.. Tricky, but do able if not doing it on a cliff face..

once cuts are made, skin goat forward to the back of the skull like a tube sock.. takes time, but is again do-able.. Sever head at the C-1, now you can set the head and cape aside and finish skinning, quartering and processing the rest of the goat.

you now have 2 options.. 1. pack the head and hide down and bring to the taxidermist this way, or 2. remove the head from the hide..

number 1 is self explanatory
    number 2 Make a Y incision or T depending on what your taxidermist prefers..

Here one of a half dozen goats I mounted last fall.. this is a Mid Sept hide.

Mt goat L.jpgMt goat R.jpg
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I would surely be happy a shoulder mount like that - even if his horns were a little smaller.....

Can you PM me what you get for a goat shoulder mount?

100_0681.jpgc goat 20 - Copy.jpg

Mt Goats have large glands behind the horns. Make sure you leave them attached to the hide when skinning around the horn bases. Attached are a few "before" and "after" pics of a mid-Sep goat so you can see the glands I'm talking about. Be safe, and good luck!

I did a rug, with the head, horns and hooves, and was very pleased with it. Ventral cuts, just like with a bear.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    If you are looking to do a shoulder mount "only" you can cut 6-8" behind the front leg, I cut in the middle as 1 foot of hide is better than 1" short..,

Anyway cut all the way around the goats belly behind the shoulder .. then cut all the way around the elbows.. Make a cut from your elbow ring up the back of the leg to the armpit or you can tube the leg.. Tricky, but do able if not doing it on a cliff face..

once cuts are made, skin goat forward to the back of the skull like a tube sock.. takes time, but is again do-able.. Sever head at the C-1, now you can set the head and cape aside and finish skinning, quartering and processing the rest of the goat.

you now have 2 options.. 1. pack the head and hide down and bring to the taxidermist this way, or 2. remove the head from the hide..

number 1 is self explanatory
    number 2 Make a Y incision or T depending on what your taxidermist prefers..

Here one of a half dozen goats I mounted last fall.. this is a Mid Sept hide.

Mt goat L.jpgMt goat R.jpg
    Jesse....is that a 10" goat or more?

Nope, I just measured it.. 9" exactly on the left horn..
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Nope, I just measured it.. 9" exactly on the left horn..
    Sure looks bigger than that....my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Goats are goats at that time....a nice, and what most would think a "full" hide. But, when it gets into middle of Oct. and first part of Nov. they are entirely different critters when it comes to this. A taxidermist friend of mine had been trying for years to kill a Nov. goat so he could do a prized life sized mount. He would tell me over and over again.....you won't believe the difference in the hides. I would just say......ya, ya, I've heard it before. But then I had a chance to go on a Nov. goat hunt with him. And until I put the spotting scope on one I really had NO idea. All I can say is......cotton balls with legs...!!!

That's why I will try again this year to go the last week of Sept. first part of Oct. Unless we get some unseasonably nice weather, where I might try to go the last week of the season. But here again, you always take the chance of getting snowed out......

My favorite mount of all in our house is my late season billy rug. Amazing trophies when taken in the late season.