Thread: Registration Hunters

Default Registration Hunters

I've been planning a 15 day float trip for moose this year. Eventually I'd be passing through an area open for a registration caribou hunt. I've always wondered if the registration hunt closed, but as an unaware hunter you take an animal after the closure, what would happen?

I got on the phone with Fish and Game and asked this question. They told me the biologists account for hunters taking game unaware of the closure due to the lack of the ability to communicate from the field. They also said as long as you enter the field on a day that the hunt is open, but take an animal after the hunt has closed & you had no way of being aware of the closure, there would be no repercussions.

Not too sure about this, days later I contacted the Anchorage State Troopers office and asked this same question. The public safety officer told me this is a question suited for Fish and Game. I then told her that the Troopers are the ones that write the tickets, so I'd like to speak with them on this issue. She then connected me to the Fairbanks Troopers office and I got in touch with a Wildlife Trooper.

Trooper "so & so" educated on me on how the troopers handle these situations. He told me they regularly seize people's animals, hunting gear, and vehicles for offenses such as these. I'm sure the more extreme seizures are due to harsh crimes committed but the fact is, once the season is closed, the season is closed and taking an animal out of season is an offense and there will be punishments. Basically, it's the hunters responsibility to be aware of any closures. So basically a SAT phone would be a necessity.

A little perturbed about this situation and wishy wash information I've received, I decide to call Fish and Game back. I speak with a new individual. They give me their take on this situation. According to this individual, apparently, the troopers are extremely lenient in situations where hunters are in remote locations and are unable to be informed an EO (emergency order) has been issued and the hunt has been closed, yet take an animal after the closure. Also, if you're in remote locations and an EO has been issued, the troopers will fly their helicopters or planes, either land or drop notes to hunters in remote locations. Only in rare occasions have punishments been issued to those that are practicing good hunting ethics but are unaware of the closure and take an animal. I then decide to let this AF&G worker know what the Troopers have said about this and EVERYONE needs to get on the same page. They were somewhat baffled by what I had told them.

Moral of the story, do your homework. If I hadn't contacted the troopers and gone off what the first AF&G worker told me, heck even listened to the public safety officer (that works with the troopers), a HUGE mistake could have been made and the repercussions could have been extensive. Also, I'm pretty sure AF&G & the ASTs need to get on the same page with this.

i know a case of this hapening a few years ago involving musk ox. it was a registration hunt on a quota system. buddy was gone for a few days, the season was open when he left. day 2-3 of the hunt and a couple hundred miles away shoots a musk ox. comes home and takes it to f n g and the bio says the season closed the day before (while he was gone). the other bio says "what was he supposed to do?" and "how was he to know?". especially where he was at and no real means of communication. nothing became of it and that was that and i guess one extra animal was taken that year. i guess it comes down to who you deal with. i think that was a pretty reasonable response from the f n g in that circumstance. now if your on day 13 of a 14 day hunt and the season closed a week and a half earlier you might have a harder time with that.

I agree! Very reasonable reaction from F&G. But what if it was the troopers? I think it would've been a different story. Well based off what the trooper I spoke to had to say. Like I said, the state needs to have a legitimate basis for this type of situation.

if it was the troopers, again i think it would depend on who it is. its a grey area i agree. with the remoteness of Ak and lack of communication its tough to enforce a rule that was not intentionally broken such as shooting something a day or however many days after a quota is closed while your out in the field. i don't think its reasonable to require everyone to get a $1000+ dollar SAT phone and plan and have to call everyday. im sure some people would purposly hunt after a known closure and just say they were out and didnt know any better. i know of some hunts in other states that after a closeure is issued you have 24-48hours buffer zone. after that its ticket time. one of those rules that doesn't have a yes/no answer. definately a case by case basis. if a trooper stop you in the field and you have shot something after the closure and you have a sat phone or radio on your person than thats a different story.

The FnG and the Troopers are one in Kotz, the Brownshirt calls the legal shots, and in the case of Kotzebue there "was" a very reasonable yet strict trooper, but Im thinking hes been replaced since.....but no bad word on the new guy , either, so I think AK law itself looks objectively at any over harvest situation.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

On tier II moose hunts I've been on F&G whould fly over the whole area involved with a siren blowing all day letting you know the hunt was over (ended in two hours on one hunt). If you took a moose past closing the trooper would ask if you heard the siren and when you said no he would say but yet you heard my question,ticket given. They also did not rely on moose checked it but blood spots on the snow and hunters cleaning game.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Brown shirt or blue shirt, they're schooled on STRICTLY interperting the law. Any "breaks" they care to give an individual are at their discretion and are governed by a plentitude of variables: did he get laid last night; was that last jelly donut fresh, is he behind on his bills, does the person in front of him seeem to be an agreeable sort or an a/hole, is his coffee still hot? They are human and not free of acting judgementally, for whatever reason.
    All you can hope for is to deal with a reasonable human being, who remembers what it is like to make a mistake (no matter how long ago it was).

Its no wonder hunting is on the decline with todays youth, its much safer to stay indoors and play Cabelas Extreme Hunter on the Xbox than deal with humans left to judge our actions in grey areas set up by other humans...

I'm thinking about selling my guns and buying the new Xbox when it comes out...