Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20A / DC827 Advice

Default 20A / DC827 Advice

I have done a ton of research on this hunt, however I was unable to actually scope out the area in person due to my work schedule. I think I have a solid plan but could use some advice from some fellow hunters that have hunted this area in the past. It's to late to schedule a flight so my only options are ATV and hiking it in. I understand that ATV access is VERY limited, but I'm not afraid to hike in at all. Any advice would be great.. Thanks in advance! My email is starktank@aol.com

Nobody been there in awhile?

I think forum member DonV had this tag last year. He asked many questions on here. Try searching for his posts. Maybe he'll even chime in to offer some advice to you. It may not be too late to schedule a flight you should try calling around maybe one of the flying services still has availability or had a late cancelation. It looks like a cool hunt, I hope to draw this tag someday in the future.

I would agree that it's probably not too late to schedule a flight. Air taxis get booked up way in advance for the first week of sheep hunting and maybe the heart of moose season, but there is a bit of a soft middle where they often have some space for something like a caribou hunter with some flexibility. I'd call services on both ends of that hunt - out of Cantwell or Delta would work. You can potentially walk in to this area, but access is limited and options are few.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Pilot out of Cantwell by name of Lance... maight be able to get you in on short notice... he did my daughter and i a few years ago... over all was 975... 4 flights... ( 2 in 2 out)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Healy creek drainage is very accessible by atv, scored one in there a few years ago

Just be careful cause there is a none motorized area a ways back in there

PPR, where do you access the drainage from and how far back can you go on wheelers?

Thanks for all the info, I will be heading out this weekend!

I'll be curious to here how your hunt goes stark tank. My wife has an 827 tag as well. Talked to a guy I met up there while scouting and he hasn't heard of much activity but I would wager that some bou must be wandering about. Good luck out there!

I just pulled a large bull from this permit via hike in methods. Saw another dozen more. I'd never fly in if I won it again.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Got word of some come in off the Rex trail this year... with our incredibly dry summer access must be okay to get far enough in. First time since the early 90's (proir to herd crash) i have heard of Rex bou...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Congrats Bighorse, How far you think you had to hike in? I talked to Don Young and he gave me a few areas to check out I just don't know much about the terrain besides looking at the maps..

I covered perhaps 10 miles and accumulated about 7,000' vertical.

just remember Stark that's doing it Bighorse Style!!

Can anyone tell me where to access the Healy Drainage to head back on a Wheeler and how far back it goes. Looking to start there this weekend before we walk in 10 miles?

Quote Originally Posted by jnjgaudette View Post
    Can anyone tell me where to access the Healy Drainage to head back on a Wheeler and how far back it goes. Looking to start there this weekend before we walk in 10 miles?
    pm sent.... hope it helps

meet on face book here

Bighorse, lets see some picks of what starktank has to look forward too. It is nice to hear people pull these hunts off via hike in methods.

Quote Originally Posted by BREW View Post
    Bighorse, lets see some picks of what starktank has to look forward too. It is nice to hear people pull these hunts off via hike in methods.
    its like sheep hunting... with fuller packs.. and the sheep laugh at you as you pass them on the way up to the bulls..

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    its like sheep hunting... with fuller packs.. and the sheep laugh at you as you pass them on the way up to the bulls..

Ha! you aren't kidding. I helped pack a caribou back this last weekend (albeit, from a different unit) We climbed past the rams and killed a caribou two miles further in and several hundred feet higher. Luckily it was a young bull... and their were three of us to do the packing. But I'm sure those full curl rams were laughing at us as we went by.

Yk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast