Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Forty mile heard 2013

Default Forty mile heard 2013

Anyone been out the steese? Hotline hasn't been updated yet. I won't have time to scout this year, but my dad wants to hunt out there this year, so I'll be going blindly.

Follow the masses 😉

As of July 26the, the herd was showing early fall dispersal with part of the herd East of the Taylor and part near and North of the Steese......but they are caribou and so unpredictable.

Thanks for the update Vern, it's nice to know their general vicinity. Aug. 29 is a ways away though. Hope to get my dad on a bou, as he battled cancer all winter and summer. Good luck to all, even the masses.
    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    As of July 26the, the herd was showing early fall dispersal with part of the herd East of the Taylor and part near and North of the Steese......but they are caribou and so unpredictable.

Good luck to you and Dad!

It does wonders for we older guys to recover from major medical problems and get in another good hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by FullFreezer View Post
    Follow the masses 
    I'm ina similar situation to Steve. My young nephew can only get a day or two away fromschool and my dad is in his 70's & can't walk far. For a drive tohunt near Fairbanks this is the only option I know of. Last year remindsme of combat fishing except with the trooper helicopter flying aroundoverhead. I don't expect to get anything but it's a family experience forus and I just have keep a positive mind set!

I see some occasionally driving back and forth from Circle to Fairbanks usually around Eagle summit but if they are hanging near the road they will shut it down anyway
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Hoping they don't do that again, You can't even plan for this hunt because of that.

Been up here a few years but work always seems to screw up a good hunting season so I have not had a chance to go into the white mountains except via the few roads. I am taking vacation mid September and was wondering about taking an ATV in there for bou. I am tracking weight limit but do you have to remain on the trails or can you go exploring? The maps only tell ya so much. Anyone have experience in the Steese National Conservation Area? Thanks and good luck!

Any idea how the fire is going to impact the herd or the other critters? My dad is mining at Bottom Dollar near the hot springs and it looks like the fire is about 4-5 miles from there. I lived in Fairbanks when I was a kid and now come back up to hang out with the old man and try to get in some kind of hunt. We were planning on going after a Caribou but now have no idea if they will be anywhere around. I'm coming either way to get in some father son time but sure would like to see some bou

Talked to a BLM dude up sround Circle on Saturday and said the fire shouldn't be an issue. It may impact their migration and push em a different direction. I was up around the summit on the Steese and glassed the hill tops all day and didn't see a single bou.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Predator View Post
    Talked to a BLM dude up sround Circle on Saturday and said the fire shouldn't be an issue. It may impact their migration and push em a different direction. I was up around the summit on the Steese and glassed the hill tops all day and didn't see a single bou.
    Great! If you hear or see anything will you keep me posted?

Sure thing man. Planning on taking my father-in-law up there with my wife to do some "berry picking" (aka scouting) this coming weekend and I'll post any findings. No sense in being secretive with this one bc everyone and their brother will be up there anyway....

Great, Thanks!

The fire around Birch creek ( circle hotsprings ) is contained and was small, there is another fire upriver and burning towards the Charley river area that's been burning for awhile and we could see the fire on the ridgetops from our fishcamp two weeks ago. I have to agree with AK predator that it won't stop the migration but it may change the direction at least till snow falls and the fires are gone......................
    I once held the yardstick of anothers perfection, I threw it down and carved my own................

Anybody know of there are any fires in the chicken area?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

http://afsmaps.blm.gov/imf_fire/imf.jsp?site=fire this site has current wildfire info.

Some people in Circle have been getting caribou off the steese but I'm not sure if it's open to non-subsistence hunters yet......

Open 29th for registration hunters up there.

The 40mile hotline was updated on the 19th. 907-267-2310

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast