Thread: New salt

Default New salt

So Im young (22) and bought my first ocean boat in november. 23' svendsen marine open skiff. Its 8 Feet wide with 42" sides. I spent all spring building a trailer and outfitting the boat so Ive only been out the last 4 weekends so far. All I have for electronics is a humminbird 597 ci hd di and a garmin 62st with blue charts. I have a yamaha 70 hp motor and a yamaha 25 hp kicker. Nothing real spectacular. So far ive been out of whittier, seward, deep creek, and homer. In whittier all I got was a gallon of shrimp. Seward a few salmon. Deep creek one 15 and one 25 pound halibut and homer 8 cod and 3 halibut with the largest only being 42 pounds. Imnot complaining Ive had a blast but what can I do better. Im fishing herring, octupus, squid, and salt water gulp for bait. Looking for trenches and drops off. Fishing in structure for rock fish. I normally only go 30 miles out. Do I need to go farther? Ive read a lot of posts here but just want some direct answers. Like go farther fish this rig. Im not asking coordinates just some pointers for a rookie. Any thing helps its ALL new. Anything youve learned over the years.

Basically, it looks like you're doing very well for just starting out! Details will vary with location and timing, but I'd say your prospects for the future are excellent. All you really need I think, is more time on the water with some additional info on those spots. Sounds like a real capable skiff. I'm running a 20' open skiff (Hewescraft Open Fisherman) with a 50, and it does everything I could ask of it while hauling 6 people at 25mph and only sucking around 3GPH wide open. We aren't running all that far, but can usually fish all day on less than 6 gallons. That kind of economy means more fishing time, even if you have to wear raingear now and then.

I'd say your doing pretty good so far. You don't need to go quite 30 miles out of Homer to catch big fish. The "Trench" begins about 25 miles (more or less) straight out of Homer. Fishing the side of the Trench can be productive. Just before you get to the trench, the bottom comes up to 19-20 fathom and you can find "bumps", Toss your anchor out "upstream" so your bait is hanging down on the lee side. The Halibut you've been catching is the better eating fish, but if your dead set on catching something Bigger, do some dumpster diving, pick out a medium sized red salmon head and use that for bait. Just out of the Breakwater of Homer, you'll often notice a charter boat or two fishing.. they are fishing for Pollock, to use for bait..! IMHO a 30 lb halibut is the perfect size for the freezer. If you walk around late afternoon, looking at the halibut the charters are cleaning, you may notice that some of the bigger fish are darker, almost black, on their "dark side" they came out of the Kelp. Maybe 6 fathoms of water..! good luck.

What are you trying to get better at? There are a few threads on here about Seward silvers/mooching/trolling that have great information in them for perfecting your salmon technique.

Have you tried jigging?
    That is by far my favorite bottom fish technique.
    I make my own jigs but you should find plenty in your local tackle shop.
    It does seem you are catching a few fish and that is a good thing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Old John View Post
    I'd say your doing pretty good so far. You don't need to go quite 30 miles out of Homer to catch big fish. The "Trench" begins about 25 miles (more or less) straight out of Homer. Fishing the side of the Trench can be productive. Just before you get to the trench, the bottom comes up to 19-20 fathom and you can find "bumps", Toss your anchor out "upstream" so your bait is hanging down on the lee side. The Halibut you've been catching is the better eating fish, but if your dead set on catching something Bigger, do some dumpster diving, pick out a medium sized red salmon head and use that for bait. Just out of the Breakwater of Homer, you'll often notice a charter boat or two fishing.. they are fishing for Pollock, to use for bait..! IMHO a 30 lb halibut is the perfect size for the freezer. If you walk around late afternoon, looking at the halibut the charters are cleaning, you may notice that some of the bigger fish are darker, almost black, on their "dark side" they came out of the Kelp. Maybe 6 fathoms of water..! good luck.
    How doI find the kelp beds?

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    Have you tried jigging?
    That is by far my favorite bottom fish technique.
    I make my own jigs but you should find plenty in your local tackle shop.
    It does seem you are catching a few fish and that is a good thing.
    Ive tried jigging. I bought 450 dollars worth of jigs at b&js but no luck on jigs yet.

For shrimp out of Whittier just keep trying. I would suggest trying an overnight trip somewhere if you have not already. Go out dump your pots, go fishing for 8 hours, check pots, go sleep in a cove or on the beach with your boat anchored up, check pots.... rinse lather and repeat. You could also try to grab a forrest service cabin to camp in as well. The Silvers should be getting in closer to Whittier if they are not already, you can troll at Pigot and set pots in Port Wells or Blackstone.

On a side note, my first shrimping trip 3 years ago we got exactly 9 shrimp on a 3 hour soak... The next trip we increased that to around 30 shrimp.. then we got serious and started counting by gallons.

If you talking about the kelp beds by Anchor river, just run along the bluff at lower tides and you will see them. Someone once posted a lat/lon for them but I can't remember where that was. My brother used to guide and once or twice a year he would kill a HUGE halibut in the kelp.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson