Thread: Custom cataraft seat posts

Default Custom cataraft seat posts

Hola again, I wonder if anyone might be kind enough to share advice or thoughts on my cataraft set posts.

I've got an Aire Cougar with a fishing deck. The bow seats are mounted on a riser that comes off the frame with a lopro fitting. Here's a pic of the bow seats:

These seats work well enough, but my problem is that they sit pretty low and I'd like to raise one a few inches to make it easier for my dad. I'm not the original owner for this rig, so I don't know if these risers were off the shelf or custom. I've looked online and haven't yet had any success in finding something like this. I'll probably find a local fab shop that can weld one up for me, just a couple inches longer. Here's a detail shot of the riser:

I'm mindful of my physics lessons and how torque is proportional to the moment arm. The lopro fitting is tight enough to hold the weight of a person as is, but if I add 3" or so of height that will increase the moment arm by about 25%. I'm worried cinching down the lopro u-bolt even more could damage the aluminum pipe. Is that a reailistic worry? If so, any other thoughts on stabilizing the seat, or maybe alternative frame options?

Thanks for any feedback,
    Earle

I too have the same seat risers, but mine look a bit taller then yours. Mine may be 16" or so. Im sure a fabrications shop would be willing to add more pipe to the seat posts. or you could do it your self by getting some cold stock solid pipe to fit inside the aluminum and drilling it and putting a bolt in it. That way you can have it high or back down to low.1.jpghittin the canyon.jpg

The biggest problem that you're going to have if you extend the length of your seat bars is you will have too much torque on them when somebody is sitting there, and you will not be able to get the U-bolt tight enough to keep it from breaking loose. You have to go with the double seat bar configuration if you are going to go tall. The double seat bar configuration causes the two lo-pro fittings to bind, and they will not break loose and dump your passenger into the drink regardless of how big your passengers are. Here's a couple pictures of my set up, and I haven't had any problems with it. This may be higher than what you're looking to go, but my passengers seem to be very comfortable sitting up like that.

Options are pretty limited. As you said, if you increase the height of the single post, you increase the torque and you'll just spin that thing over. and I wouldn't worry about tightening the bolts enough to damage the pipe. The bolts will snap before you get there. The only two options are the double riser Trout posted, or raising the entire seat bar and mounting flat seat plates on it. I'm talking about something like THIS. But I don't think you want that, as it's a tripping hazard.

Talk with Mark at Alaska Raft and Kayak; he'll set you up.

Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    The biggest problem that you're going to have if you extend the length of your seat bars is you will have too much torque on them when somebody is sitting there, and you will not be able to get the U-bolt tight enough to keep it from breaking loose. You have to go with the double seat bar configuration if you are going to go tall. The double seat bar configuration causes the two lo-pro fittings to bind, and they will not break loose and dump your passenger into the drink regardless of how big your passengers are. Here's a couple pictures of my set up, and I haven't had any problems with it. This may be higher than what you're looking to go, but my passengers seem to be very comfortable sitting up like that.

Rats, attachments not showing. Any chance to repost them? I get that when I forgot to uncheck the "Reference locally" when pasting the URL.

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    I too have the same seat risers, but mine look a bit taller then yours. Mine may be 16" or so. Im sure a fabrications shop would be willing to add more pipe to the seat posts. or you could do it your self by getting some cold stock solid pipe to fit inside the aluminum and drilling it and putting a bolt in it. That way you can have it high or back down to low.1.jpghittin the canyon.jpg

I get it now. That looks more than doable. I really appreciate the photo.

Thanks for the responses everyone. The double post mount as shown looks like a winner.

My only other mod I'm considering is placing some sort of upright bar in front. Either a thigh rest from NRS, or something custom. I was also thinking about just an inverted U shaped bar that goes between the seats, about where the cooler (?) is under the dog in the second photo above. Probably ought to adjust the seat first, then see what I need from there.

Thanks again all!

I don't know what happened to the photos, but here they are again.

raft 7 seats.jpgKenai river 2013.jpg

Thanks for the pics. That height looks to be what I'm shooting for. Would it be too much to ask if you could get me a measurement of the length of the aluminum tube?

There you go. If you like to check them out in person you're more than welcome to stop by sometime, just PM me.

Since there appears to be a solid deck plate, you may be able to use a bolt on seat post....they are available at most boating stores (or Walmart) and I have seen them in two different heights.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks heaps for the photo measurement! I doubt I need to check em out, though you're probably not too far from me.

@bobmikk, the deck board isn't that stout. It would be a lot easier though, as there is a world of seats made for that kind of install.

Well, I'd better get to work finding a fab shop. Thanks again everyone for your help.

Default Throughbolt in Lo Pro??

Talking to Tracey Harmon on this topic one day, I think he suggested putting a bolt through the Lo Pro to keep it from torqueing (?) around; drilling an offset hole through the Lo Pro AND the frame. I didn't end up trying that, but - I can tell you it's not an issue you want on a remote float. I don't know anyone who's tried this or what NRS would suggest - I think Tracey is at Marita Sea & Ski now. AT's suggestion with two tubes though works very well and has been field tested, I am certain. BTW, AT: is that the most seats anyone has ever seen on a cataraft?? I've heard of catacanoes. Could that be the first catalimo? . Another photo you posted, of a car seat attached to your raft frame was another cool mod- with these pics could be a good start to an interesting-raft-modification-photos subforum. Thousand words and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    ... Talk with Mark at Alaska Raft and Kayak; he'll set you up.

Mike
    Indeed! I just stopped by and Mark has what I need, ready to go.