Thread: Thinking about a business

Default Thinking about a business

I am thinking about opening a business in Fairbanks that would be for bow hunters and archers. It would be a long building (almost like an old warehouse type) with multiple shooting lanes and 3D targets in one lane. A place where we could have the competitive shooting could be held in the winter that will give us all a place to shoot both in the summer and winter. A place to teach young-ens about the sport and a place to tune your bow and skills. I have wanted a place like this for years for me to shoot here, but theres nothing like it in the city. Is this something that a lot of you or people you know would come and use or would it be a waste of money and time? Let me know, so I can look into it a bit more.
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

I can gladly give you lots of info on this. Seen many try and none survived even in archery rich areas like the east coast. The three biggest hurdles are heating that space, lighting that space, and the price per square foot of that space to rent. If you own the building you could possibly get in the black but if not you would have to charge quite a bit per archer to simply break even. The other options would be to have another money making buisness( think paintball) in the building that could offset the costs.. Not tryin to be a spoiler here I would really like to see you succeed with this. Heck I would even drive up to shoot there...

I think Mr Bear is spot on. That said, I would go and shoot. I used to go to the Kings Knok and shoot when it was open and had the video shoot. Even though it had a few glitches, it was still good training and fun to do in the dark of winter.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I live in the fairbanks area and only having precision archery with a 20 yard range is awesome but at the same time it would be nice to have another place to go and shoot at with additional options... In the middle of winter when Seasonal Affective Disorder and depression really starts setting in it is nice to be able to go somewhere and socialize with people and shoot. It would also be nice to have somewhere to do competition shoots and other fun stuff as well. I would support ya and i have a few friends who would as well. I would also be willing to give instruction to upcoming archers and archers who just need a little confidence boost as well. Go for it!

I'd practically live there october-march...

Good luck

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Their IS another place though I haven't shot much the last couple winters their. Golden north has the indoor range at Ryan middle school. Its only open in winter during the school year.

There's for sure room for another bowshop with a range in this town. There's a ton of bowhunters here and traveling through!

Thomas's place was packed! He had an in with the home school system along with the regular people, it brought it a bunch of folks through his doors!

Fox sportsden bldg was huge when they were on vanhorn. Del had the joad kids at the time when I first arrived before moving to the shop on college before Marlene passed. He's since moved to the valley and gone teaching strictly joad from what I've heard.

North pole was decent also, though I didn't care for the bags targets. They used foam fronts with burlap bags filled with stuff behind it. They carried stuff we used which was nice!

When all 3 places had that techno hunt it was what brought a bunch of folks, I know I dumped a pile on it and when it worked there was plenty of waiting to get in on a regular basis. Their was some maintenance problems when each shop had it and I heard the same thing from all 3 places.

If you do go at it, get some simple trad gear! I know a ton of us asking for things like glue on field points, nocks, feathers (holy turkey batman have you seen the feather prices lately!!!) and a handful of smaller stuff. No one consistently carrys anything and for whatever reason they continue to not carry it. North pole did, but now a days everyone gives you the same response...."we can order it". Get past that and you'll have the bowhunters in this town!

Btw, I know Bill and Connie started out of their home for a number of years before moving into the current house and for a spell their also. It might be a good way to get going anyways.

I have 5 people out of 6 that have bows in my household would definitely love something more than 20 yds in the winter

than go outside and shoot as far as you like! lol

on a serious not, why not drive to anchorage and do a few of the weekly 3d shoots in winter? They are or at least have been fun over the years the handful I had the chance to partake in. Those boys don't shoot 20 yards....I swear they don't have 20 yard pins and the trad stakes start at 50 ha.

I would love a new place to shoot after work every couple of days. The shop I used to shoot at in northern NY was also a store so new buyers could try all the brands and models. It also had a chronograph lane so you could see if different add ons helped or hurt your performance. And best thing we all like was he had tree stands mounted on moveable platform at difference heights and styles. Would be good for bear hunters that like that type of hunting. Also having a 3d on wheels that would move and pause would be fun to shoot.

if your talking to me my work schedule never seems to match up to any shoots whether in Fbnks or anywhere else.. and shooting outside at -40 kids don't do well for long and neither does the bow.

they shoot twice a week, it used to be wed/fri I'm not sure but I think that changed last winter. There was also nights of JOAD. I don't know if Andy's running that now or if they are doing that up at UAF.

Eielson lost their indoor range and right now there's no hopes that I know of getting it back. I'm out of that loop though as I rarely shot on base and the guys I knew who did have all since moved on.

I know the work sched gig, mines terrible! but it's not -40 the hole winter . Besides its easier to find arrows in the snow anyways when I M mmm MMMMISSS haha.

Almost all the shops started out very good when they first opened. Then after getting going pretty good the customer service went to crap. If you were not in the click that just hung out there all the time you were nobody and your service was about the same. Plus why would anybody want to bring there family/kids there when the "F" bomb was every other word and you can guess how the rest was from the people that just hung out all the time.

I have bought bows from almost if not all the shops that were here in Fairbanks. Everybody in my family shoots a bow and we have pretty much just give in and order all our stuff. So if you are looking for suggestions for your shop if you open one, if people are not actively shooting/instructing and just want to hang out have a place (separate room) for them to hang out in. If they do not work for the business don't let them handle/deal with your customers. Language is a customer killer. Everything I have mention has help kill all the archery shops here in the Fairbanks area. Just my .02 cents